Changing Network SSID Blocks Incoming Mails To My Inbox?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 1, 2005 9:40:33 AM

I set up a home wifi network using a D-link boradband router and lavet the
SSID as default. Everything runs smoothly, no problem with incoming and
outgoing mails.

On 26the Dec I changed my network SSID to a specific name. Now, while i can
still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec onwards are all
stranded in the mail server and could not come into my inbox. I am using
Outlook Express ver. 6. I realised this when someone told me to check my
pop3.log file and sure enough all incoming mails are stuck in the server and
cannot come in. However i can still receive incomg mails sent from within
the network.

Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings need to be
changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the server is full? Can
someone help? TIA
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:10:18 AM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 06:40:33 +0800, <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote:

>I set up a home wifi network using a D-link boradband router and lavet the
>SSID as default. Everything runs smoothly, no problem with incoming and
>outgoing mails.
>
>On 26the Dec I changed my network SSID to a specific name. Now, while i can
>still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec onwards are all
>stranded in the mail server and could not come into my inbox. I am using
>Outlook Express ver. 6. I realised this when someone told me to check my
>pop3.log file and sure enough all incoming mails are stuck in the server and
>cannot come in. However i can still receive incomg mails sent from within
>the network.
>
>Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings need to be
>changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the server is full? Can
>someone help? TIA

I could be wrong, but the SSID is simply the name of your wireless
network. (service set ID) I've changed my SSID several times over
the years and have yet to experience a mishap because of the change.
Therefore, your changing of the SSID should not interfere with
anything. To be on the safe side, when you changed the SSID in your
route/AP settings, did you enter the new SSID into the card's
configuration menu?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:10:19 AM

Doug Jamal wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 06:40:33 +0800, <chungacs@streamyx.com> wrote:
>
>> I set up a home wifi network using a D-link boradband router and
>> lavet the SSID as default. Everything runs smoothly, no problem with
>> incoming and outgoing mails.
>>
>> On 26the Dec I changed my network SSID to a specific name. Now,
>> while i can still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec
>> onwards are all stranded in the mail server and could not come into
>> my inbox. I am using Outlook Express ver. 6. I realised this when
>> someone told me to check my pop3.log file and sure enough all
>> incoming mails are stuck in the server and cannot come in. However i
>> can still receive incomg mails sent from within the network.
>>
>> Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings
>> need to be changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the
>> server is full? Can someone help? TIA
>>

> I could be wrong, but the SSID is simply the name of your wireless
> network. (service set ID) I've changed my SSID several times over
> the years and have yet to experience a mishap because of the change.
> Therefore, your changing of the SSID should not interfere with
> anything. To be on the safe side, when you changed the SSID in your
> route/AP settings, did you enter the new SSID into the card's
> configuration menu?

That's the typical symptom of changing the wap's ssid but not rebooting the
machines on your network
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:08:54 PM

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:39:53 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

>That's the typical symptom of changing the wap's ssid but not rebooting the
>machines on your network

You do NOT have to reboot your (Windows) computer when changing the SSID
on your wireless network connection.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net
January 2, 2005 7:08:55 PM

Lars M. Hansen wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:39:53 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh
>

>> That's the typical symptom of changing the wap's ssid but not
>> rebooting the machines on your network
>>

> You do NOT have to reboot your (Windows) computer when changing the
> SSID on your wireless network connection.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
> "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or the
workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather than connect
to a new network. I always wonder why people are so deathly afraid to power
off or re-boot... It works absolutely no matter what, and it fixes probably
90-95% of the errors..
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 1:30:48 AM

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 12:19:07 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

>No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or the
>workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather than connect
>to a new network. I always wonder why people are so deathly afraid to power
>off or re-boot... It works absolutely no matter what, and it fixes probably
>90-95% of the errors..

There's absolutely no relationship or even similarities between changing
the SSID and changing the workgroup name. Changing the SSID is simply a
minor change in what name the wireless client uses when connecting to a
network. Changing the workgroup name is a major change in what name the
operating system uses when participating in a network.

There is absolutely no need to reboot your computer after changing the
SSID. There are no benefits to doing so, and there's little point in
suggesting that it in any way, shape or form would help or even rectify
the OPs original question is way of.

Changing the SSID on a WLAN does in no way affect connectivity. Once the
change has taken place, the client should get an IP address from the
DHCP server, and connectivity to everything should be restored to the
way it was prior to the SSID being changed. The fact that the OP cannot
get his e-mail after changing the SSID is most likely coincidental.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
January 3, 2005 2:18:58 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:30:48 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>There's absolutely no relationship or even similarities between changing
>the SSID and changing the workgroup name. Changing the SSID is simply a
>minor change in what name the wireless client uses when connecting to a
>network. Changing the workgroup name is a major change in what name the
>operating system uses when participating in a network.

This is all true

>There is absolutely no need to reboot your computer after changing the
>SSID.

Yes

>There are no benefits to doing so, and there's little point in
>suggesting that it in any way, shape or form would help or even rectify
>the OPs original question is way of.

I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config change
has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;

January 3, 2005 2:18:59 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:18:58 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh

>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 22:30:48 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
>Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
>
>>There's absolutely no relationship or even similarities between changing
>>the SSID and changing the workgroup name. Changing the SSID is simply a
>>minor change in what name the wireless client uses when connecting to a
>>network. Changing the workgroup name is a major change in what name the
>>operating system uses when participating in a network.
>
>This is all true
>
>>There is absolutely no need to reboot your computer after changing the
>>SSID.
>
>Yes
>
>>There are no benefits to doing so, and there's little point in
>>suggesting that it in any way, shape or form would help or even rectify
>>the OPs original question is way of.
>
>I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config change
>has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.

To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the
same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes for
the network card to recognize the change and connect to the network and
obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal mail, it appears
that he does have a successful network connection.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
January 3, 2005 7:39:46 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:38:41 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:18:58 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh
>
>>I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config change
>>has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.
>
>To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the
>same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes for
>the network card to recognize the change and connect to the network and
>obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal mail, it appears
>that he does have a successful network connection.

This does'nt invalidate the suggested fix...
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;

January 3, 2005 7:39:47 PM

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:38:41 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
> Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:18:58 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh
>>
>>> I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config
>>> change has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.
>>
>> To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the
>> same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes
>> for the network card to recognize the change and connect to the
>> network and obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal
>> mail, it appears that he does have a successful network connection.
>
> This does'nt invalidate the suggested fix...

Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's
exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge
hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never
happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on the
wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but if your
mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect" (SP2
doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said (you can
email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the wireless node
that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected, and the
easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to handle a problem, is to
teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it still doesn't work, call
support)
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 8:52:00 PM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 16:39:46 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:38:41 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
>Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:18:58 +0000, Mark McIntyre spoketh
>>
>>>I disagree with this tho - its very likely that some other config change
>>>has been made and rebooting the box will probably help.
>>
>>To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the
>>same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes for
>>the network card to recognize the change and connect to the network and
>>obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal mail, it appears
>>that he does have a successful network connection.
>
>This does'nt invalidate the suggested fix...

Rebooting may fix the OPs problem. My point was:

1) Changing the SSID was most likely not the cause of the problem, and
2) Changing the SSID does not require a reboot.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
January 3, 2005 8:56:01 PM

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:03:52 -0800, Peter Pan spoketh

>Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's
>exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge
>hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never
>happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on the
>wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but if your
>mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect" (SP2
>doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said (you can
>email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the wireless node
>that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected, and the
>easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to handle a problem, is to
>teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it still doesn't work, call
>support)

Funny as you may thing it is, as a fellow consultant, I also see that
rebooting solves a number of issues. That's not the heart of the matter
here; the point that I have been trying to make is that:

1) Changing the SSID probably didn't cause this problem, and
2) There's no need to reboot after changing the SSID.

Even, as you say, SP2 doesn't reconnect after the SSID has been changed
on the WAP, that can easily be resolved by changing the SSID on the XP
machine as well...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
January 3, 2005 8:56:02 PM

Lars M. Hansen wrote:

> Funny as you may thing it is, as a fellow consultant, I also see that
> rebooting solves a number of issues. That's not the heart of the
> matter here; the point that I have been trying to make is that:
>
> 1) Changing the SSID probably didn't cause this problem, and
> 2) There's no need to reboot after changing the SSID.
>
> Even, as you say, SP2 doesn't reconnect after the SSID has been
> changed on the WAP, that can easily be resolved by changing the SSID
> on the XP machine as well...
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

One important word in that.... "probably". Sure it probably didn't, but
there IS a possibility, no matter how small that percentage is, and a reboot
would let him know for sure, and may pop up other errors that weren't known
and can be fixed, not to mention reset things to a known state... Sorry, A
reboot usually only take a minute or so, resets things to a known fresh
state, and gets rid of any temp errors/glitches? The OP said he has been
dicking with it for 4 days (5760 minutes).. whats the big deal about trying
something that only takes 1/5760 th of the time the error has been there,
and may fix it? I can't understand anyones hesitancy to power
cycle/reboot... Over the years I've gotten many calls and pages at 2 or 3
AM, and before I get out of my nice warm bed, I always tell the person on
the phone to turn it off and back on. Only had to get up and go in once.

The difference (as I see it), is I try and do things with the "garbage truck
theory" in the back of my mind (I get hit and killed by a garbage truck, and
someone ELSE has to make it work), whereas I keep seeing things here like "I
can", "probably not" etc. assuming they will actually be there hands on,
rather than make it easier for non pros to do things. Actually, now that I
am older, I think of it in a less morbid way (no garbage truck and dying), I
think what if I am on vacation in another country and it dies? What can I
tell someone to do over the phone so I don't have to travel back a few
thousand miles.

Reminds me of the car scenario... Do you leave it running for days making
strange noises/doing wierd things, or turn it off, restart it, and try
again?
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:50:05 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:

| No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or the
| workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather than connect
| to a new network. I always wonder why people are so deathly afraid to
| power off or re-boot... It works absolutely no matter what, and it fixes
| probably 90-95% of the errors..

Fear has nothing to do with it. It's usually not necessary and
therefore a waste of time. I can reconnect to my WAP after changing the SSID
within 5 seconds. Rebooting can take up to a minute and a half.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:50:06 PM

mhicaoidh wrote:
> Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:
>>
>> No you don't. But if you want to access it after changing that (or
>> the workgroup names), it a whole lot easier to just reboot rather
>> than connect to a new network. I always wonder why people are so
>> deathly afraid to power off or re-boot... It works absolutely no
>> matter what, and it fixes probably 90-95% of the errors..
>
> Fear has nothing to do with it. It's usually not necessary and
> therefore a waste of time. I can reconnect to my WAP after changing
> the SSID within 5 seconds. Rebooting can take up to a minute and a
> half.

Maybe that's part of it. Maybe *you* can do it in 5 seconds, but try doing
it on a support call at 2AM with a minimum wage person that barely speaks
english.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:51:48 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, chungacs@streamyx.com mused:

| Is it because the SSID has been changed and some related settings need to
| be changed at the same time? Or is it the mail quota on the server is
| full? Can someone help? TIA

Is it possible that since you have now changed your SSID, you are now
connecting to another WLAN that also had the same default SSID you
previously had? Are you sure you are connected to your WLAN?
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:56:44 PM

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:

| Hate to tell you mr THINKS he knows it all (lars not mark), but that's
| exactly the attitutude I love to see as a consultant. I get to charge
| hundreds of bucks to fix the errors people like you claim can never
| happen...Heres a hint, If you have a WAP/Router, and change the ssid on
| the wireless part, it doesn't effect the wired parts of the network, but
| if your mail server is wireless and waiting for someone to hit "connect"
| (SP2 doesn't autoconnect by default), it will do exactly as the OP said
| (you can email to others on the network, but not get stuff from the
| wireless node that talks to the outside mail service, until it is
| re-connected, and the easiest way to train dumb minimum wage employees to
| handle a problem, is to teach em one thing... reboot... and then if it
| still doesn't work, call support)

That still doesn't have anything to do with the client, which is the
topic ... and where did the OP state that he has a local mail server that is
locally connected to his wireless network?
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:56:45 PM

mhicaoidh wrote:

> That still doesn't have anything to do with the client, which is
> the topic ... and where did the OP state that he has a local mail
> server that is locally connected to his wireless network?

He didn't.. He just said he could get regular intracompany email, but none
from outside ISP. That is a typical symptom of wired or wireless that can
talkto/see each other, but not outside. Changing an SSID (see the subject)
won't matter, unless you have a wireless mailserver.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:48:35 AM

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:

| Maybe that's part of it. Maybe *you* can do it in 5 seconds, but try doing
| it on a support call at 2AM with a minimum wage person that barely speaks
| english.

You are creating a scenario that is not relevant to this discussion to
try and prove your point. In this case, rebooting is not necessary. Even
if we grant your assumption that the mail server is wirelessly connected to
the network, how will rebooting the client PC help this? It won't.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:48:36 AM

mhicaoidh wrote:
> Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:
>>
>> Maybe that's part of it. Maybe *you* can do it in 5 seconds, but try
>> doing it on a support call at 2AM with a minimum wage person that
>> barely speaks english.
>
> You are creating a scenario that is not relevant to this
> discussion to try and prove your point. In this case, rebooting is
> not necessary. Even if we grant your assumption that the mail server
> is wirelessly connected to the network, how will rebooting the client
> PC help this? It won't.

Sounds like *YOU* are trying to create a scenario where you are
indispensible. He said it hadn't worked for 4 days.. You gonna sit there for
4 days?

I love your absolute proclamation of "it won't".. Show's you aren't
thinking.... I am on a computer this second that has both a wired
connection, and is the network exchange mail server on the network, with a
second bridged wireless connection to the WAP/Router and cable connection..
Not so odd, we have had a wired network for years, and bridged it to the new
wireless one we are installing incrementally as wired stuff dies. And by the
way, that scenario will simulate EXACTLY the symptoms the op described.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:20:17 AM

Taking a moment's reflection, Peter Pan mused:

| Sounds like *YOU* are trying to create a scenario where you are
| indispensible. He said it hadn't worked for 4 days.. You gonna sit there
| for 4 days?

Your first sentence makes no sense. But, since we've moved into the
realm of the ridiculous ... do you believe the client PC hasn't been
rebooted once over the course of those four days?

| I love your absolute proclamation of "it won't".. Show's you aren't
| thinking.... I am on a computer this second that has both a wired
| connection, and is the network exchange mail server on the network, with a
| second bridged wireless connection to the WAP/Router and cable
| connection.. Not so odd, we have had a wired network for years, and
| bridged it to the new wireless one we are installing incrementally as
| wired stuff dies. And by the way, that scenario will simulate EXACTLY the
| symptoms the op described.

Again, you are making assumptions that aren't relevant to the
information the OP has provided. So far, these permutations have gone from
1) reboot the mail client PC; 2) reboot the wireless mail server on the
internal network (assuming it exists), or simply click "okay" if it is XP
SP2 to accept the SSID change; and now, 3) reboot the client, because the
client is also the wireless mail server on the internal network (another
assumption).

Your advice is relevant to the scenarios you have created to support
them, granted. But, there's no information so far to suggest that your
created situations are in any way similar. When a car has a rough idle, you
can say that it's dirty fuel injectors because that's exactly the symptom of
dirty injectors ... but what if the car's carburated? No dirty injectors.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:37:45 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:52:00 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , Lars M.
Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>Rebooting may fix the OPs problem.

Agreed.

>My point was:
>1) Changing the SSID was most likely not the cause of the problem, and
>2) Changing the SSID does not require a reboot.

Agreed x2. However what the OP wanted was to fix his problem, not have a
discussion about the technicalities of changing SSIDs.

IME people very often come to technical groups with the wrong question,
based on a half-understanding or complete misunderstanding of the problem.
Its often more productive to solve their real problem than discuss their
imaginary one!

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;

January 5, 2005 7:45:46 AM

<quote Peter Pan>
[...]
</quote>
I am sincerely surprised that you get any work as a consultant with
the way you talk to others but I guess the low end market is less picky
in regards to who they let work for them, but anyway

Also, as a "consultant" I am sure you know that basically you do not
have enough knowledge to actually pinpoint the cause of the issue.

Let us sum up:

1. The SSID was changed on the AP
2. The connection between the Client and the AP is functional as mail
can be sent, as well as received internally

As such, the wireless connection is functional.

Some questions are left open:

What is the network toplogy like?

i.e. client -> AP -> LAN(including mailserver)

Can you access the mail server ? I.e. telnet port 110/25 on the mail
server
Do the relevant logs show anything? on the AP or the mail server? What
does a Packetsniffer show?

<quote>
Now, while i can
still send outgoing mails, my incoming mails from 26 Dec onwards are
all
stranded in the mail server and could not come into my inbox
</quote>

How do you know they are in the inbox? on which server?

Without knowing how the network. is composed and the email server
location and method of access all this is pure guesswork.

<quote peter pan>
but not get stuff from the wireless node
that talks to the outside mail service, until it is re-connected
</quote>
makes no sense at all, reconnect to what?
It is connected to the LAN as internal email works fine, and
bidirectional connectivity seems to be present.
Where should it reconnect to?
You make no sense, no offense intended

regards
dc
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:24:52 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 07:38:41 -0500, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>To our knowledge, nothing else has been changed. If everything is the
>same except the SSID, then it should only take a matter of minutes for
>the network card to recognize the change and connect to the network and
>obtain an IP address. Since the OP can get internal mail, it appears
>that he does have a successful network connection.

Further, if one wants to force the refresh, simply right click the network
status icon on the taskbar (or go through the control panel->networking),
and select "repair". Windows FM happens (buffers flushed, a new DHCP
address drawn, etc) and the new connection is established in seconds.

I frankly doubt that would do anything here, though. XP, at least is very
quick to reconnect to the same channel even if the SSID changes.

Over the Christmas holidays, I did a 1500 mile looping wardrive (aka
"vacation") around Florida using the LinkSys WUSB54GS USB2 WiFi adapter
mounted in one of my motorhome's skylights. In the more populated areas
NetStumbler would announce more than 100 WAPS/mile, about 99% of them open
and with default SSIDs. Almost all were on the default channels of 6 or
11. I could make a connection on a channel, fetch my email and then watch
XP connect to one WAP after another as I drove along. It would change
from one to another sometimes in just a couple of seconds. That little
info window would pop up announcing one SSID after another.

There is something else going on here other than just changing SSIDs.
perhaps the client adapter needs to be told to rescan the bands. LinkSys
calls this a "site survey", others call it a "scan". In any event the
client software should discover everything within range and either connect
automatically or give the user the option of selecting an AP.

John
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE@bellsouth.net