I have ONE hard drive with two partitions.
1. C: BOOT - NTFS
2. D: SYSTEM - NTFS

I would like to delete the D: partition, but in Disk Management, Delete
Partition is grayed out. Any suggestions?

I have deleted all files from the D: partition.

The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Otherwise, a "clean install" of Windows XP will be required
since you'll have to delete all the existing partitions and create
a new single partition.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The only way you can create, delete, resize or merge existing partitions,
> and not harm your existing Windows installation, is to use
> a third-party partitioning program such as Partition Magic 8.
> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Sorry but that is not entirely true. Disk Manager is there to delete or
create partitions. It can not merge or resize which is why you would need PM.

The problem here is XP believes it is "booting" from d: . Boot partition in
MSspeak is where Windows folder resides. Where the boot files like ntldr,
boot.ini reside is referred to as the System partition.

You need to change your Explorer view to view all files including hidden and
system files. Look again at d: and see if you see ntldr, ntdetect and
boot.ini. If you do reinstall from scratch is the best advice.