Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What If?

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2011 12:44:36 AM

Hello, I Was thinking about this, and Though What If Steam Filed Bankruptcy, Obviously I Know thats not going to happen anytime soon, or ever. but just go with this scenario

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Deus Ex Human Revolution is steamworks.

Okay anyways, lets say you Play it and beat it (you have retail copy) 4-5 Years later You decide to replay it, but Steam Shuts down.

First question: What do you think steam would do in this situation. Just Throw all your games away and make them unplayable (due to not having steam).

Anyways So you install Deus Ex Human revolution and Use a Steam "Crack" (I believe thats what it's called, I don't pirate) Would that technically be legal? since you technically own the game and have no other way to play it.

Is A "Crack" even Illegal to use on steamwork games? Just wondering. To know if the question above is relevant

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your opinions
I Understand none of this will really happen was just thinking about it and was curious

-Mithness

More about : question

Best solution

November 11, 2011 5:45:13 AM

All Steam games can be played in offline mode, unless the developer specifies a persistent internet connection. Hence, If Steam were ever to close down, your games would likely still work, but there would be no more online achievements or automatic updates.

I wouldn't worry about it though, Steam seems to be doing extremely well.
November 11, 2011 9:33:54 AM

I Completely forgot about Offline mode, and I wasn't worried or anything I was just wondering.

-Mithness
Score
Related resources
November 11, 2011 10:41:21 AM

they would likley do what M.S. did with halo and the likes. basicaly shut down the servers and say tough luck.
Score
November 11, 2011 11:28:35 AM

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had prepared a patch that would deactivate the online activation for all Steam games, for use in the event that they had to permanently shut down their servers.
Score
November 11, 2011 11:52:30 AM

jakjawagon said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that they had prepared a patch that would deactivate the online activation for all Steam games, for use in the event that they had to permanently shut down their servers.

Yea I remember reading something similar, however for some reason I can't any reference to it.

I'm sure there was an interview or article where one of the Valve members of staff addressed this question.
Score
November 17, 2011 11:58:35 PM

Best answer selected by Mithness.
Score
!