Disk Cleanup Temporary Int FIles

Temporary internet files deletes only some files in the folder. What is the
logic for this? What files are deleted and what files are not?
3 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup temporary files

    Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) *will* clean:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files

    Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will *not* clean:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5

    Logic? You got me.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.
    -----

    If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.

    Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:BC03A3E6-97B7-428A-9596-D7ECDD9A2D75@microsoft.com,
    Prat <Prat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Temporary internet files deletes only some files in the folder. What
    > is the logic for this? What files are deleted and what files are not?

    HI wesley,

    Thanks for the reply. The logic beats me absolutely. Thats exactly what i
    wanted to know but. Why some files are deleted and some not deleted. In fact
    if in cleanmgr.exe you say view files, it shows the folders with the files
    typically gifs etc. But in these folders, it deletes ONLY SOME files and not
    all. I am trying to automate cleanmgr.exe to perform at regular intervals of
    time therefore in studying it i came across this problem. Any more light on
    this?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) *will* clean:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files
    >
    > Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will *not* clean:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files\Content.IE5
    >
    > Logic? You got me.
    >
    > To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
    >
    > 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    > Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    > Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    > Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    > if there are a large number of files.
    > 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    > 3) Check the box Â? Delete all offline content {This cleans >> C:\Documents
    > and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
    > 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    > temporary internet files
    > 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    > websites have placed on your hard drive.
    > -----
    >
    > If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    > scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary Internet Files folder
    > when browser is closed | click Apply | OK. Entirely up to you, but if you
    > want to be rid of this, it is done automatically. Deletes the content of
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    > Files but not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
    >
    > Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to keep
    > pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:BC03A3E6-97B7-428A-9596-D7ECDD9A2D75@microsoft.com,
    > Prat <Prat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Temporary internet files deletes only some files in the folder. What
    > > is the logic for this? What files are deleted and what files are not?

    Yep. IMHO, Disk Cleanup is worthless.

    I use Disk Cleaner.

    I have Disk Cleaner set to run quiet at startup. Runs for 10 seconds or so
    and exits. I also like the fact that, after you set it up, it cleans all
    the following with one click (and/or automatically at boot). Makes XP's
    Disk Cleanup look like a piker. XP's Disk Cleanup will *not* clean
    Content.IE5.

    Disk Cleaner will Clean:
    Temporary Internet Files {Including the contents of the Content.IE5 folder}
    Internet Cookies
    Internet History
    System Temporary Folder
    Recent Documents
    Run... Dialog List
    Find Document List
    Find Computer List
    URLs in IE Address Bar
    URLs in Shell Address Bar
    Media Player Recent URLs
    WinZip Recent Files
    WinZip Extract To Folders
    Paint Recent Files
    WordPad Recent Files
    Cleans Recycle Bin (what else?)
    Opera Cache
    Opera Cookies
    Opera History
    Opera Visited links
    Opera Download History and Download folder
    Firefox Cache
    Firefox Cookies
    Firefox History

    Disk Cleaner
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

    Oh, yea, Disk Cleaner is either free or $5, you decide. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:575FF89E-9BD1-4CF1-80AE-40E503653558@microsoft.com,
    Prat <Prat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > HI wesley,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. The logic beats me absolutely. Thats exactly
    > what i wanted to know but. Why some files are deleted and some not
    > deleted. In fact if in cleanmgr.exe you say view files, it shows the
    > folders with the files typically gifs etc. But in these folders, it
    > deletes ONLY SOME files and not all. I am trying to automate
    > cleanmgr.exe to perform at regular intervals of time therefore in
    > studying it i came across this problem. Any more light on this?
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) *will* clean:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary
    >> Internet Files
    >>
    >> Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will *not* clean:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary
    >> Internet Files\Content.IE5
    >>
    >> Logic? You got me.
    >>
    >> To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
    >>
    >> 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    >> Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    >> Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    >> Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
    >> Especially if there are a large number of files.
    >> 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
    >> Files 3) Check the box Â? Delete all offline content {This cleans
    >> Internet Files AND C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local
    >> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
    >> (Created by an MS Office program) 4) Click on OK and wait for the
    >> hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files
    >> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete
    >> cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> If you want, try this: Open IE | Tools | Internet Options |
    >> Advanced tab | scroll down to the bottom | check: Empty Temporary
    >> Internet Files folder when browser is closed | click Apply | OK.
    >> Entirely up to you, but if you want to be rid of this, it is done
    >> automatically. Deletes the content of C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files but
    >> not the Content.IE5 or Content.MSO folders.
    >>
    >> Also: Start IE | Tools | Internet Options | General tab | Days to
    >> keep pages in history: 0 | Apply | OK.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:BC03A3E6-97B7-428A-9596-D7ECDD9A2D75@microsoft.com,
    >> Prat <Prat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Temporary internet files deletes only some files in the folder. What
    >>> is the logic for this? What files are deleted and what files are
    >>> not?

Disk Cleanup Microsoft Internet Windows XP