Aman

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

ok - i dont really know much when i comes to stuff like this so can anyone
help?

I have a 20gb D: drive, however i only have one folder in there used for my
music - the folder size is around 13.5gb - but its telling me that i only
have 1.3gb of space left! so theres around 3-4gb missing! ive checked for
hidden files - only small they amount to about 10kb. Ive found a hidden,
hidden folder 'recycler' (26mb) with some stuff in it. is it ok to delete
this stuff? also are there any other files/folders which could be taking up
space?

ive defragmented the drive - not changed anything - cleanup can only
compress old files which i dont wanna do as i wanna have access to all my
music.

There is a MFT in every drive which takes upto 10% of the drive space. There
go 2 gb of data.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174619
By the way the compression in cleanup is NTFS compression - that doesnt
affect your music files in any way. The recycler is where your deleted files
are stored. you can try emptying recycle bin (make sure u have nothing
important there) and run a disk cleanup too.

"Aman" wrote:

> ok - i dont really know much when i comes to stuff like this so can anyone
> help?
>
> I have a 20gb D: drive, however i only have one folder in there used for my
> music - the folder size is around 13.5gb - but its telling me that i only
> have 1.3gb of space left! so theres around 3-4gb missing! ive checked for
> hidden files - only small they amount to about 10kb. Ive found a hidden,
> hidden folder 'recycler' (26mb) with some stuff in it. is it ok to delete
> this stuff? also are there any other files/folders which could be taking up
> space?
>
> ive defragmented the drive - not changed anything - cleanup can only
> compress old files which i dont wanna do as i wanna have access to all my
> music.

You can delete all the system restore points except the most current one and
possibly regain 3-4gb of space.