My AMD64 and XP

riser

Illustrious
Alright.. I finally just made time to get my computer up and running. Some initial thoughts along the way-

Here's the current setup:

AMD 64 3000+ Venice S939
1GB Crucial PC3200 )512x2 Dual Channel)
MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum
MSI 6600GT 128MB AGP 8x
WD 80GB SATA
Diskmake Demon 600W PSU

The rest doesn't matter.

I ran through the Windows XP install a few times. It kept locking up during the final stages of completing the install - actually the "saving" of the final miniprep screen.

Problem - RAM was not syncing too well, removed one, works fine. I'm testing the the memory out after a BIOS update to see if that resolves it.

Had problems at the desktop - it was choppy, etc.

Simple solution - after I did the BIOS update, downloaded the Nvidia drivers. Worked like a charm. Video apparently had a problem refreshing on LCD. VGA worked but was blurry/foggy looking.

Seems to be working well right now, very fast. I didn't go with XP64 because a few of my devices I really want to use on this PC currently don't have drivers for them:

Nostromo N52 speedpad and Logitech Freedom 2.4 - Haven't been concerned about my printer or other devices. I still have my good 'old' PC for everything.

I wrote down a list of what I wanted to reinstall initially. I realized that it's not really that bad to reinstall all the stuff as long as it's all downloaded somewhere.

I came up with a list of about 25 programs that I feel are required for me to be happy. That doesn't include their Service Packs or updates.

The next problem I have to take is cable management. I have a thermal/fan controller which has 11 wires itself that are run all over the inside, not to mention everything else that hooks up.

I'll update on any other little things I come across. So far, it's running smooth. Too bad I'm 4 hours into it and just finishing up the WinXP updates - and I started with SP2.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Did you get the RAM working with both in there or just the one? I specifially got the matched set to avoid that issue.

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>

Make sure you have chipset drivers installed too. BETA drivers usually get your a few extra % perfomance (personally I've had no stability problems with them either)

riser

Illustrious
The memory was purchased from Crucial which has a "kit" that is guarenteed to work. I did update the chipset drivers.

It's kind of odd. If I take the 1 dimm out that I think is bad, and boot on 1 dimm. It works. I shut down, put the bad dimm in, boot up, it works without a hitch. I shut down, start back up, it goes into a reboot. I pull the one chip out, same process over.

MSI has this cool feature - Live Update, I'll have to run that again tonight to see if I maybe didn't update everything or maybe an older version will work.

It's hard to say because the computer will run fine on both dimms until a restart after working. It just starts to pop up the windows logon and I get a BSOD but I can't really read what it's saying since it reboots so fast.

Other than that, the computer runs awesome. Everyone in BF2 is lagging and I have all my settings on High.. I haven't even OC'd yet because of the memory issue.

I'm waiting to hear back from Crucial though on possible issues or what they'll do to get me up and running. Just got back from NYC for a week so I haven't had a chance to follow up.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You can change your config to not reboot after a bsod, that way maybe you can see the error (not sure if it'll do any good but...)

Right-click My Computer and choose properties (or start => control panel => System), go to the advanced tab, and click Settings under Startup and Recovery. (the bottom section). In the System Failure section (middle section), uncheck automatically reboot.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

riser

Illustrious
I'm sure it's the memory but I only spent half a day setting up and working on the PC. I'm leaving work today to go mess with it. Crucial said they'll replace the memory, but maybe I didn't get the latest chipset drivers either.

I'll check out the BSOD next, just for kicks.

pat

Expert
Try to run your memory with just a bit more voltage. 2.6 or 2.7v wont hurts and might help.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
Yeah, I hesitated since Crucial's website didn't state anything except standard voltage.

With the board, I have the option to bump up the voltage and then I also have an option for something like standard OC'ing.. where I can bump it up 1, 3 5, 7 ,9, and 11%

Now, since I don't have the manual and I haven't been around to read it online, I'm not sure if that automatically will bump up the required voltage and/or if it will adjust what I set.

I'll mess around with it tonight though. I figure I'll step it up and if anything goes wrong, I should hopefully get some kind of warning before it dies. If not, oh well. heh.

TRENDING THREADS