windows directory 2 gb size???

As my HDD is running low on free space i started to look what's taking most
of it, and i noticed my windows directory taking up whooping 1.98 gb... Plus
on directory properties it is written that system32 directory takes up 800
mb, but when i mark all files in that directory i see those files take up 571
mb.
...so any advices how to clean it up a bit?
Thanks in advance.

I actually read most of it and i do most of those things... except that i
didn't install winxp sp2, my pc is stable enough can't complain too much.
Plus heard many negative things about it, so i'm happy without it for now.
And that i don't use 5 anti spyware programs...

Though it still doesn't answer how to deal with this huge size of windows
directory... ah well, there's always format C:\ and fresh installation.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Don't want to read all of this? Read these two links instead:
>
> Protect your PC
>
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>

> Let's take the cleanup of your computer step-by-step. Yes, it will take
> up some of your time - but consider what you use your computer
> for and how much you would dislike it if all of your stuff on your
> computer went away because you did not "feel like" performing some
> simple maintenance tasks - think of it like changing the oil in your car,
> changing the air filter on your home A/C unit, paying your bills on time,
> etc...

Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
--
Ted Zieglar

"origo" <origo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As my HDD is running low on free space i started to look what's taking
most
> of it, and i noticed my windows directory taking up whooping 1.98 gb...
Plus
> on directory properties it is written that system32 directory takes up 800
> mb, but when i mark all files in that directory i see those files take up
571
> mb.
> ..so any advices how to clean it up a bit?
> Thanks in advance.

Does this disk cleanup helps anyone? I did it and freed up 9 Mb by deleting
temporary internet files, and that's it.

Anything else ii could do?

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup >
More Options > System Restore (Clean up).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

origo wrote:
> I actually read most of it and i do most of those things... except
> that i didn't install winxp sp2, my pc is stable enough can't
> complain too much. Plus heard many negative things about it, so i'm
> happy without it for now. And that i don't use 5 anti spyware
> programs...
>
> Though it still doesn't answer how to deal with this huge size of
> windows directory... ah well, there's always format C:\ and fresh
> installation.

Did you turn off System Restore to see what that freed up after a reboot?

--
<- Shenan ->

No, but i chose option to delete all but most recent restore point during
disk cleanup...

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Did you turn off System Restore to see what that freed up after a reboot?

I find using Explorer to Search on the windows folder for *.* and then hit
the size tab to sort largest to smallest can sometime id what is taking all
the room.