windows directory 2 gb size???

As my HDD is running low on free space i started to look what's taking most
of it, and i noticed my windows directory taking up whooping 1.98 gb... Plus
on directory properties it is written that system32 directory takes up 800
mb, but when i mark all files in that directory i see those files take up 571
mb.
...so any advices how to clean it up a bit?
Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows directory size

    I actually read most of it and i do most of those things... except that i
    didn't install winxp sp2, my pc is stable enough can't complain too much.
    Plus heard many negative things about it, so i'm happy without it for now.
    And that i don't use 5 anti spyware programs...

    Though it still doesn't answer how to deal with this huge size of windows
    directory... ah well, there's always format C:\ and fresh installation.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Don't want to read all of this? Read these two links instead:
    >
    > Protect your PC
    >
    > What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    >

    > Let's take the cleanup of your computer step-by-step. Yes, it will take
    > up some of your time - but consider what you use your computer
    > for and how much you would dislike it if all of your stuff on your
    > computer went away because you did not "feel like" performing some
    > simple maintenance tasks - think of it like changing the oil in your car,
    > changing the air filter on your home A/C unit, paying your bills on time,
    > etc...

    Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "origo" <origo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > As my HDD is running low on free space i started to look what's taking
    most
    > of it, and i noticed my windows directory taking up whooping 1.98 gb...
    Plus
    > on directory properties it is written that system32 directory takes up 800
    > mb, but when i mark all files in that directory i see those files take up
    571
    > mb.
    > ..so any advices how to clean it up a bit?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Does this disk cleanup helps anyone? I did it and freed up 9 Mb by deleting
    temporary internet files, and that's it.

    Anything else ii could do?

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.

    Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup >
    More Options > System Restore (Clean up).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    origo wrote:
    > I actually read most of it and i do most of those things... except
    > that i didn't install winxp sp2, my pc is stable enough can't
    > complain too much. Plus heard many negative things about it, so i'm
    > happy without it for now. And that i don't use 5 anti spyware
    > programs...
    >
    > Though it still doesn't answer how to deal with this huge size of
    > windows directory... ah well, there's always format C:\ and fresh
    > installation.

    Did you turn off System Restore to see what that freed up after a reboot?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    No, but i chose option to delete all but most recent restore point during
    disk cleanup...

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Did you turn off System Restore to see what that freed up after a reboot?

    I find using Explorer to Search on the windows folder for *.* and then hit
    the size tab to sort largest to smallest can sometime id what is taking all
    the room.

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP