Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Skyrim
  • Graphics
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2011 12:24:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Got Skyrim last night. I'm pleased to say it's fantastic, except I'm having some disturbing graphics problems. They only occur when I'm outside. I've attached some screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about. Seems like certain thing just aren't displaying for some reason. I've fiddled with all the setting I understand (which is admittedly not much) and I could really use a fix ASAP - it's hard to play this way. Thanks.

More about : graphics problem skyrim

November 11, 2011 2:17:29 PM

Hey,

I have this exact same problem! It is very frustrating since i have been looking forward to this game so long and now i cant really experience the outside world. I have been trying various things with the graphic options but so far nothing has worked. I have had this problem with other games before and so will try to find a common solution. If i can find a fix i will post it, but i would really appreciate some help. thanks.
Score
November 11, 2011 3:51:13 PM

Believe me, I'm looking too :)  If I find something, I'll post.
Score
Related resources
November 11, 2011 4:03:50 PM

sorry i cant see your pix. but if its missing textures or texture pop, try updating your direct x with the version that came with the game. and update to the latest gfx drivers...
make sure the game integrity is ok in steam...
Score
November 11, 2011 4:25:27 PM

Yeah my game integrity is okay, and my computer installed directx when the game installed, though maybe I should try doing it again. It's worth noting I bought my computer in september so it's pretty up to date on everything.
Score
November 11, 2011 7:58:05 PM

If your graphics look blacking turn BOTH Sampling settings down to 2. this worked for me!!!
Score
November 11, 2011 7:58:41 PM

Blocky not Blacking sorry
Score
November 11, 2011 8:21:36 PM

HEXiT said:
sorry i cant see your pix. but if its missing textures or texture pop, try updating your direct x with the version that came with the game. and update to the latest gfx drivers...
make sure the game integrity is ok in steam...

do u know of a graphics card that will run most games on ultra under 350.00 and under 600 watts, i want to upgrade and when i bought a gtx 550 ti a while ago i thot it wouldve been able to do that but i was wrong and ive been suffering for a while now. even with skyrim i have to play on low settings to get decent framerate, im so pissed, please help man!!
Score
November 11, 2011 9:28:00 PM

I'm also having this exact same problem. Only happens in the outside world. If you find a fix, please post it. Cheers
Score
November 11, 2011 9:49:44 PM

Yeah, me too. Kinda makes it unplayable.
Score
November 11, 2011 10:35:18 PM

I'm having the same exact problem. I switched to my power saving processor and the problem went away, but now its to slow to enjoy :( 
Score
November 11, 2011 11:30:37 PM

Yeah mine works fine with the switchable graphics too. I have been reading about it, and I'm pretty sure it's just a driver issue. Update your graphics card drivers and it should rectify itself. Unfortunately I'm using an ati 5650m on my hp laptop, and hp haven't released an update since December 2010. The drivers direct from amd don't work as it screws with the switchable graphics. This is ridiculous - why provide decent gpu's if they are going to become redundant in less than a year due to a lack of driver support. A few games now refuse to work as the drivers are too old. Anyone in this same boat that has found a solution?
Score
November 12, 2011 12:18:36 AM

JDSpartan said:
Hi everyone,

Got Skyrim last night. I'm pleased to say it's fantastic, except I'm having some disturbing graphics problems. They only occur when I'm outside. I've attached some screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about. Seems like certain thing just aren't displaying for some reason. I've fiddled with all the setting I understand (which is admittedly not much) and I could really use a fix ASAP - it's hard to play this way. Thanks.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198035677190/screenshot/630730693655866587?tab=public

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198035677190/screenshot/630730693655868001?tab=public

What kind of graphics card do you have? I'm experiencing your problem with Ati mobility Radeon Hd 6370
Score
November 12, 2011 12:42:22 AM

I'm having the same problem, hp pavilion dv6, ati mobility radeon hd 5650, and the problem seems to get worse as I increase the various "fades" in the in-game settings menu. if I've got them closer to zero, I see less of whatever this crap is. and yeah, it only occurs in outside or really large environments. I've updated all the drivers and everything, but it still sucks, so i'm thinking it might not be a driver issue, which leaves me still wondering wtf is going on.
Score
November 12, 2011 2:24:27 AM

I think we are all using HP (or similar) laptops with switchable graphics. The wonderful people at HP will not allow standard ATI drivers to be used for their laptops and instead release there own very infrequently. The last driver for mine DV6 pavilion with HD5650 was in august 2010!! The graphics bug/problem is caused by no driver support for these old drivers. Official ATI drivers will not install on the laptop either.

I'm trying some 3rd party drivers from donotargue.com will let you know.
Score
November 12, 2011 4:19:56 AM

I got the same issue. I use the HP Pavilion dv7t - 4000 CTO with ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1gb video memory and 6gb RAM, windows 7. All drivers are up to date. So, don't really know what to do but can't play Skyrim. If you will switch graphics to a power saving mode it will fix the issue but the Skyrim runs baaaad By the way, my brother uses HP laptop which is 1 year older than mine and Skyrim runs perfect. If somebody figured out how to fix it pleaaaseee let us know.
Score
November 12, 2011 6:18:25 AM

Fixed it.

The unofficial graphics card driver from donotargue.com will work on the HP machines (well on mine at least). They're pretty simple to download and install.

You'll also need to install a program called readydriverplus cos windows 7 64bit wont let you install unregistered drivers (even though there aren't any official ones!!!), this changes the windows start up so that you can use these drivers.
If you don't want to install that you can allow unregistered drivers during start up by pressing F8 during boot, you'll have to do this every time tho.

Hope this helps, let me know.
Score
November 12, 2011 6:40:13 AM

Just to clarify guys laptop thought my driver was fully up to date prior to this when the game wasn't working. So im guessing that everyone with this graphics issue is using a hp laptop with ati cards. If you trawl the forums enough you'll see the problem is on a few other games and is caused by incompatable drivers.

The driver i used was the DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev2, although im guessing most of the recent ones will work.
Score
November 12, 2011 8:21:07 AM

rite i finally got to see them pix and it looks like the bump/hight/or some other part of the gfx texture map isnt being displayed properly. this points to a bad gfx drivers... so try updating em.
Score
November 12, 2011 3:02:27 PM

chris4265 said:
Just to clarify guys laptop thought my driver was fully up to date prior to this when the game wasn't working. So im guessing that everyone with this graphics issue is using a hp laptop with ati cards. If you trawl the forums enough you'll see the problem is on a few other games and is caused by incompatable drivers.

The driver i used was the DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev2, although im guessing most of the recent ones will work.

Fixed.
Thanks buddy. I downloaded DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev.2 and everything works now pretty well on the high settings. Thanks again man!
Score
November 12, 2011 3:37:02 PM

I'd like to join the club, except I"m using an Acer laptop with an HD 6550M Radeon graphics card and I'm having this glitch.
Score
November 12, 2011 4:10:08 PM

I have the same problem, but I'm running a DELL XPS 420 desktop, with HD5770 so this isn't just something to do with the HP laptops. I have tried most possible combinations of graphics options but the problem remains. I have installed three times separately and have tried two different games!!! (Direct steam download and games for windows dvd).
Any ideas how to fix this?
Score
November 12, 2011 8:23:47 PM

Ok, so I've fixed the problem as well.

As mentioned by people above, it was due to outdated drivers. Check out this forum for a solution :
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-envy-hdx/582545-driv...

The link for the drivers is on the first page. I'm pretty sure they are genuine ati drivers, however they won't provide support for laptops with switchable graphics, so beware that there is some risk of instability. I installed v11.10 straight over the top of the current drivers yesterday, and all seems well so far.

To the poster above: I'm pretty sure the drivers are for the 56xx and 57xx cards, rather than the manufacturer of the laptop, so I'd imagine it should work for you too.
Score
November 13, 2011 6:56:25 PM

I own an HP Envy 14 with the switchable graphics as well (HD 5650). I love the dedicated, but like most people have been experiencing this same problem. I've tried many many methods to fix this, so I'm really hoping that this will work. Downloading now, so I'll update soon to let you all know if it worked for me too.
Score
November 13, 2011 7:14:56 PM

Just to let you all know. IT WORKED! I've been looking for this fix for literally months, just waiting for something to work. Thank you soooo much!

I downloaded the latest driver from donotargue.com (DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev.2) along with the ReadyDriver Plus. I installed ReadyDriver Plus, then the driver. I installed the actual AMD driver with custom settings just to double check that the driver included is newer than the currently installed driver I had.

I had roughly 8.7 and the newest is 8.9. After that got installed, I restarted my computer. When prompted to choose an operating system, I chose the ReadyDriver Plus, and it automatically chose to disable signed drivers during startup. Very Convenient! Thanks again so much!
Score
November 15, 2011 12:47:12 AM

How do I find the updated driver? I know what version I'm using but it's not there on the list. I've also used my computer to automatically search for updates and it said I was already using the latest version.
Score
November 17, 2011 4:05:23 PM

chris4265 said:

Hey, man. I need a little guidance.

So, Ive downloaded the DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev2 driver and ReadyDriver Plus, but I don't know where to go from here. Which file to click and so on... Could you maybe give me a helping hand here?

Thanks in advance :) 
Score
November 17, 2011 8:41:04 PM

I've got a Toshiba laptop, but I had the same issue (as far as finding graphics drivers goes). It seemed as though they were still working off of more-than-a-year-old drivers for the Radeon Mobility 6000-series card in there (can't remember the exact model at the moment... I don't use my laptop much, haha.)

However, after much diligence, I tried searching for ALL their graphics drivers and sorted by date, rather than searching by my laptop model. Turns out they actually provide consistent updates to their proprietary drivers alongside the regular AMD driver updates (11.9, 11.10, 11.11, etc.). They might be a week-or-so behind, but, still... The thing was, they don't come up in the search for the laptop model, because they aren't specific to that ONE laptop. They cover a broad range of laptop models. Toshiba uses the first so-many digits of your serial number (on the back sticker of the laptop), and has a range of them for each specific driver version.

I just thought maybe this was worth mentioning, in case HP happened to do the same thing. You'd THINK they'd have enough sense to realize that, if it applies to your laptop model, it should be searchable by your laptop model. That way, you could simply use ONE search criteria to find anything you needed, since they're forcing you to use all their special stuff anyway. But, I guess they don't... THANKS, BUSINESS DEGREES! 8D. Haha.
Score
November 17, 2011 8:57:16 PM

Yeah, I'm checking their site right now. HP has a TERRIBLY simplistic search function, so you apparently can't sort by date or anything (On Toshiba's site, I could sort by date, so at LEAST I didn't have to look through 100 different search results to figure out which was the newest). Also, their driver listings are incredibly vague. But, for example, I DID find a result for "Original ATI graphics driver" that is dated 2011-01-06. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be January or June... haha. But, I have a feeling they've got updated drivers on there, SOMEwhere, and that they're just almost impossible to find.

Update:

Here's one dated 10/12/2011.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadInde...

That's apparently just the all-in-one ATI radeon driver, for all models of graphics card, but it'd hafta be tried out on an HP laptop to know if it works for sure. As I said, their listings are quite vague. I can't find ANY reference to specific cards or laptop models at all. But, maybe that'll work for you HP people, and anyone with a different brand can probably do the same at that brand's site.

I'm searching their entire site for "ATI graphics driver" and narrowing the results to JUST the ones from "drivers and support." HP doesn't have any other filters, really, so I can't narrow it more than that, but, the way they list them, I don't think it would help anyway. If you put in a specific model (card OR laptop), you won't find the one in the link I posted above, as it is listed simply as "Original ATI graphics driver." Haha...

I hope any of this is helpful, though. I know some of you said you got drivers from 3rd-party sites working.
Score
November 17, 2011 11:27:17 PM

Hey guys

I'm having the exact same problem and I tried downloading and installing the ReadyDriver Plus as well as DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev2. I succeeded in installing the readydriver plus program but when i tried installing the driver from DNA-AMD GFX 11.10.1-prev2, I had a slight error. It downloaded and installed all the necessary drivers except the HDMI/DP Audio driver.

Anyways, I tried playing it on medium settings and it still freezes about once an hour everytime I'm outside.

I'm using a VAIO laptop. It's running Windows 7 (64 bit) with a ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 vid card; I believe it's a 1 GB dedicated card. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.8GHz, and I have 6 GB ram.

Anyways, I don't know what to do. Please help.
Score
November 20, 2011 12:00:30 AM

Have you tried FXAA post process injector from Skyrim nexus? It definitely improved image quality for me.
Score
November 20, 2011 7:43:32 PM

I have the same problem. I have an AMD Mobility Radeon 6370M.
Score
November 21, 2011 3:09:23 PM

I'm having this same problem with an HP laptop with ATI 5650 switchable graphics. Before I try this fix, can someone clarify whether or not switchable graphics will still work after I install the unofficial driver that seems to be working for most people?
Score
November 21, 2011 10:03:28 PM

etgohomeok said:
I'm having this same problem with an HP laptop with ATI 5650 switchable graphics. Before I try this fix, can someone clarify whether or not switchable graphics will still work after I install the unofficial driver that seems to be working for most people?

To be honest, I'm not too certain on if it will affect that or not. My laptop is incapable of playing normal games but I don't use it for that purpose so my knowledge of this is minimal at best. I also run Ubuntu on it so.. you get my meaning. Anyhow, the changes log for the driver should have some details on what it changes or doesn't change. You might actually want to refer this question to the hardware forum. Somebody there is bound to be more knowledgeable about this. With all that being said, I don't think it will affect it but mobility drivers are different from desktop drivers so definitely do a bit of research before doing anything.
Score
November 22, 2011 10:28:10 PM

Hello!

Problem is fix. Like you all, I have tried to install the original drivers from ATI and it doesn't work since I have switchable graphics. But ATI have since yesterday a new driver I could install and Skyrim works perfect.

Go to the link, install and enjoy.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111...

P.D.: I hope you can understand my english.
Score
November 22, 2011 10:48:52 PM

GaMuSin0 said:
Hello!

Problem is fix. Like you all, I have tried to install the original drivers from ATI and it doesn't work since I have switchable graphics. But ATI have since yesterday a new driver I could install and Skyrim works perfect.

Go to the link, install and enjoy.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst1111...

P.D.: I hope you can understand my english.

Awesome! Thanks for the link! Gonna give it a go on my gf's pc. She's affected by the stupid steam update which made things slower.
Score
November 30, 2011 3:52:48 AM

Well this thread became a beast, haha. I'm sorry I didn't check it more often - I see some people posted solutions. I found a solution the day after posting this on another forum - I had the same HP/drivers problem it seems like everyone else had. I basically wiped all my driver software/programs from the computer (man was that scary) and downloaded and installed everything from Radeon's website. Then I had to run the control panel update program after I did that and it worked. After about five restarts, a terrifying moment when after doing everything my graphics card wasn't working at all (until I did the control panel thing) I've been rocking Skyrim on high since its release. I hope the above solutions work for everyone - I doubt I could recreate my success without finding that other thread on another forum again.
Score
November 30, 2011 4:10:38 PM

I have Skyrim on PC.

My Pc specs goes like this:

Win7 64 bit
MoBo: Ga-890fxa-ud5
AMD X6 1055t
16 gb ddr3 RAM
Sapphire 6870 1gbddr5
1tb Caviar Black HDD
ACER full Hd Monitor 22"

Skyrim runs smoothly, Graphics are great (but could be better). I only have a glitch on weapons and armor textures, they look like they came form ES III: Morrowind. Bad textures, not Hd like the enviorement is.

Anyone having the same problem?

Score
February 14, 2012 8:18:26 AM

Hi,i have same problem but i have NVIDIA GeFoce 9600 GT on PC desktop computer.Running XP plz help me!
Thx!
Score
March 21, 2012 12:56:04 AM

TheSporetik said:
Hi,i have same problem but i have NVIDIA GeFoce 9600 GT on PC desktop computer.Running XP plz help me!
Thx!

Try turning off Anti aliasing, this seemed fix the problem but I have an AMD card, but I guess its worth a try for you. :p 
Score
April 8, 2012 1:00:35 PM

i goskyyrim this morning but when i try to play it is like super slow and sticky is their anything you can help me with
Score
May 5, 2012 12:42:51 PM

It sounds like you need to discover the Skyrim Nexus Community. Just google it and you'll love all of the armor texture mods available there.
Score
!