XP application limit?

With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can have open
at any given time. Requests to launch new applications silently fail. Is
this a resource problem? Is there a way that I can increase the resources on
XP machines? I am using a dual stepping 3Ghz machine with 2GB RAM. I can
make it so that even the Task Manager won't open until I close some windows.
I can reproduce this on a few XP machines. I did not notice this problem
when I was using 2000 or 2003 before.
11 answers Last reply
More about application limit

    Pilot wrote:
    > With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can
    > have open at any given time. Requests to launch new applications
    > silently fail. Is this a resource problem? Is there a way that I
    > can increase the resources on XP machines? I am using a dual
    > stepping 3Ghz machine with 2GB RAM. I can make it so that even the
    > Task Manager won't open until I close some windows. I can reproduce
    > this on a few XP machines. I did not notice this problem when I was
    > using 2000 or 2003 before.

    What ridiculous number of apps are you at when you reach this limit?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Not that many if I am running some larger applications. If I want to
    reproduce the problem, it can take 50 IE instances to do so fairly easily.
    The memory isn't normally used up when this problem occurs.

    "Pilot" <pilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    > With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can have open
    > at any given time. Requests to launch new applications silently fail.

    What is that limit? I have not run into one.

    if you want to open som many IE windows I should suggest you use
    www.avantbrowser.com
    or www.getfirefox.com

    "Pilot" <pilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Not that many if I am running some larger applications. If I want to
    > reproduce the problem, it can take 50 IE instances to do so fairly easily.
    > The memory isn't normally used up when this problem occurs.
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> Pilot wrote:
    >> > With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can
    >> > have open at any given time. Requests to launch new applications
    >> > silently fail. Is this a resource problem? Is there a way that I
    >> > can increase the resources on XP machines? I am using a dual
    >> > stepping 3Ghz machine with 2GB RAM. I can make it so that even the
    >> > Task Manager won't open until I close some windows. I can reproduce
    >> > this on a few XP machines. I did not notice this problem when I was
    >> > using 2000 or 2003 before.
    >>
    >> What ridiculous number of apps are you at when you reach this limit?
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

    I'd like to be able to have approximately 10 IE windows open along with an
    SCM tool, Outlook with 10 e-mails open, a CRM tool, a test SQL Server and one
    or 2 copies of .net VS open at a time. I did not notice a problem doing this
    before with 2000 or 2003. I now have to often close applications to be able
    to open another application. I have what I consider to be a nice desktop.
    Isn't there some registry setting that I can set to get me around this
    problem? How can I determine where the bottleneck is, please? Thanks

    Kenny S wrote:
    > if you want to open som many IE windows I should suggest you use
    > www.avantbrowser.com
    > or www.getfirefox.com

    Better still get a tabbed Browser!

    Charlie.

    --
    www.peartreegreen.org

    Why do you keep saying 2000 and 2003. Configure the computer the same as them idiot.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Pilot" <pilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAAAAFA2-6A10-464B-80BB-0E025FE63CED@microsoft.com...
    > I'd like to be able to have approximately 10 IE windows open along with an
    > SCM tool, Outlook with 10 e-mails open, a CRM tool, a test SQL Server and one
    > or 2 copies of .net VS open at a time. I did not notice a problem doing this
    > before with 2000 or 2003. I now have to often close applications to be able
    > to open another application. I have what I consider to be a nice desktop.
    > Isn't there some registry setting that I can set to get me around this
    > problem? How can I determine where the bottleneck is, please? Thanks
    >
    > "Kenny S" wrote:
    >
    >> if you want to open som many IE windows I should suggest you use
    >> www.avantbrowser.com
    >> or www.getfirefox.com
    >>

    >> "Pilot" <pilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Not that many if I am running some larger applications. If I want to
    >> > reproduce the problem, it can take 50 IE instances to do so fairly easily.
    >> > The memory isn't normally used up when this problem occurs.

    There isn't one.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message news:%23iPG%23mB3EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > "Pilot" <pilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
    >> With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can have open
    >> at any given time. Requests to launch new applications silently fail.
    >
    > What is that limit? I have not run into one.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Pilot wrote:
    > I'd like to be able to have approximately 10 IE windows open along
    > with an SCM tool, Outlook with 10 e-mails open, a CRM tool, a test
    > SQL Server and one or 2 copies of .net VS open at a time. I did not
    > notice a problem doing this before with 2000 or 2003. I now have to
    > often close applications to be able to open another application. I
    > have what I consider to be a nice desktop. Isn't there some registry
    > setting that I can set to get me around this problem? How can I
    > determine where the bottleneck is, please? Thanks

    Use FireFox. Seriously. You can have as many pages as you like open within
    the one instance as it uses tabbed browsing.

    on salads.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Charlie wrote:
    > Kenny S wrote:
    >> if you want to open som many IE windows I should suggest you use
    >> www.avantbrowser.com
    >> or www.getfirefox.com
    >>

    > Better still get a tabbed Browser!
    >
    > Charlie.

    Er, FireFox /is/ a tabbed browser!
    on salads.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Please read:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/Default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.enable.issues&mid=b43ee927-1fea-4eb6-bc80-128a5cce7028&sloc=en-us

    "Pilot" wrote:

    > With XP, I reach an upper limit on the number of applications I can have open
    > at any given time. Requests to launch new applications silently fail. Is
    > this a resource problem? Is there a way that I can increase the resources on
    > XP machines? I am using a dual stepping 3Ghz machine with 2GB RAM. I can
    > make it so that even the Task Manager won't open until I close some windows.
    > I can reproduce this on a few XP machines. I did not notice this problem
    > when I was using 2000 or 2003 before.

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP