k7t266 pro2 + athlon xp 1600+ = success!

gotenex

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
I have noticed a number of people having problems with the k7t266 and athlon xp setup and I just wanted to share my success story.

First of all, I was having a problem of a blank screen on bootup. Found the problem, my nic card, replaced it, and its running smooth now.

I set the fsb to 133 in the bios, and it is reporting my athlon xp 1600+ at 1400 mhz perfectly fine. I also changed the cas latency of my ram to 2.0, and it's fine.

My CPU temp is at ~37 degrees idle, so I'm quite happy about that.

And here's my setup:

Athlon XP 1600+
K7T266 Pro2
2x 256 PC2100 Crucial RAM
Geforce 2 GTS
Audigy X-Gamer

HarleyMYK

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001
Sounds good. Are you using the Retail Heat Sink Fan?

Old enough to remember when sex was safe and a personal computer was a slide rule :wink:

G

Well done, and very incouraging for me..

Only an hour ago I picked up from my local compter shop my very own...

MSI K7T266 Pro2
Athlon XP 1600
...and would you believe.... 2x256mb PC2100 Crucial DDR ram.

Furthermore, I am putting my GeForce 2GTS in this new setup tonight.

Good to hear that it went well for you.

I'm hoping that my install goes as well.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was the chap who posted under the name of 'bradford' just above. (i logged in from work today and forgot my password, so I joined again).

Well, it is done. My install of the K7T266A with an Athlon XP 1600+ also went perfectly. I started with an empty case around 2 hours ago, and now I am typing this on the newly built machine.

I'm one happy chappy...

Cheers..

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

G

(at work again)

I bought a cpu fan called "ThermoEngine". Or something like that. I had read a good review on it.

The cpu is sitting idle at 41-42 degrees. Not bad. After running 5 minutes of Quake3 timedemos, it went up to 47 degrees.

This fan, along with one case fan blowing air in from the front, seems to be doing the trick.

I guess I saw this coming, but my frames per second in quake 3, demo1, was 92 with the PIII733, now with the Athlon 1600+ I get only 110fps.

This really shows the limit of the GeForce 2 GTS. Mind you. 110 or 92 fps, who cares. Next year, with the 'hopeful' release of Doom 3 I will get a gf3 or similar. Till then, the gf2 will do fine.

I'll give the machine a good hamnmering tonight and check out it's stability.

<font face='arial' size='10' color='#6600ff'><b>Bradford</b></font>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Glad to hear from you fellows getting good response from the MSI 266A, as I am considering ordering it pretty soon, and with an Antec SX1240 case, but this with the Enhance 350 W PS from Newegg.com.
I am currently using the Antec KS188 with the stock 303x or something PS and it is great for the last 2 years. However, I like the feature of the PS turning down the RPM when in sleep mode, and am not sure if the Enchance will do so. If someone has the Newegg version of the Antec, please respond.
I am going to have some time off and upgrading would be the best time-killer if it is painless, but a drag if it is troublesome. Anyway, I go on.
Keep up the posts on good results too, as they help guide as well as the bad performance posts.
Good Luck, Take-Out
PS: Just read a blurb that some performance issues are being caused by enabling the CPU temperature warning in the BIOS, causing performance degradation. Worth a try if having doubts on performance.

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by take_out on 11/08/01 01:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>