Frustrating Problem, Please help...

redslurpee

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Ok this is a bit long...

i recently replaced my motherboard (due to bios corruption) and added a second 80GB SATA hard drive.
since this replacement i have been unable to run a clean instalation of windows XP, i get a error message telling me that X or Y file cannot be copied properly, the only way to get windows to run is to select ignore and move on.

windows will run however i cannot install any games that i have tried (over 10) and severall software apps will either not install (X or Y file is corupt) or once they install they will not run. (same problem)

the only programs i can run are mozilla, bearshare, and an internet poker site software.

i have wiped my HD severall times, swapped my new motherboard, used both harddrives individually, and re-installed all drivers, and nothing works...

any ideas or assistance would be greatly appriciated...

here is my system config...

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1 GB DDR 400
ASUS KT-600 Mobo
2 80 Gb SATA harddrives (one hitachi, one western digital)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256Mb GPU
Windows XP Home edition W/t service pack 2

I have ATI Stock And a NVIDIA card

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
This might be a long shot, but it might be worth a try. I used to have a problem with the same file being copied during my installation too. I just ignored it and continued on with the installation. It never caused a problem that I ever noticed. Then I learned about slipstreaming SP2 into my Windows disk. I did that, and now when I do an installation, It goes smoothly. I didn't slipstream SP2 because I was having that problem, but for other reasons, but it corrected that problem. It might be worth a try. Just google "slipstream SP2" (unless you already have a SP2 disk). Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

riser

Illustrious
I had the same problem in a post I did in games while trying to install BF2 and talking about setting up my gaming system.

I was running 2 512MB Crucial PC3200 dimms. I took one out, it worked. I took the 'good' one out, put the bad it, it didn't work.

Install with 1 chip.. if they're not identical, it'll fail like you're having.

I'm waiting on my RMA to get new memory that works. Crucial has a money back guarentee it'll work, but the memory I wanted was out of stock when I ordered so I don't think they did the full testing on it.