Sign in with
Your question

computer freezes while playing bf3

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2011 3:27:43 PM

My issue is simular to alot of the other BF3 issues I have read on here, I can get the game started and be playing but when it comes to a heavy graphics spike in the game or most of the time at the end of the rounds when its tell you if your team won or lost my computer freezes, the video shuts compleatly down (including the monitors), there is a god aful sound through the sound card then nota...no blue screen....just nothing...the lights on my caes are still on but ctrl/alt/delete dosen't work and I have to manualy shut the system down and restart...sometimes I can play the game for hours on end with no issues but latley this problem happens when I first start playing a map but majority of the time its during game play or at the end screen....I have tried deleating and re-installing all of my ATI drivers, I have tried rolling back to previous versions and no help, I'm almost to the point of compleating whiping my HDD's and doing a fresh install of Win 7 64 and going from there....any info or advice would be greatly appreciated....my system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64bit
Foxconn A7DA-S motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Cpu (3.1 ghz O.C. to 3.4)
1 Sapphire HD4870 Toxic series Vid Card (1gb mem)
4gb (2gb sticks) of G-Skil 1066 DDR2 Memory
2 360gb HDD's (7200 rpm)
6 cooling fans (including the CPU cooler that would be 3 120mm, 2 220mm and 1 200mm)
Asus 120mm Artic Freezer CPU cooler
Sunbeam 680 watt PSU
1 Sietek Cyborg command unit and gamming mouse

Could this be a PSU problem, a different hardware problem or could this just be another case of a game creater releasing the game way to soon with too many compatibility issues.....my problem ONLY happens with BF3, all my other games run and play fine at all high settings....
November 12, 2011 9:57:41 PM

Ok then, first of all, is your HD4870 an X2 or the shitty version, because that's one on the only things that matter. That and the ATi driver version.
November 12, 2011 10:38:12 PM

Your video card is on the lower end of the game's spectrum, and it's bound not to be able to carry the game for longer periods of time till it starts choking on it. Also your CPU is a dual core, and BF3 is known for its best use of a quad core. Your RAM, especially for this game, is not really enough. Only Windows 7 gets 1.40 - 1.50GB RAM usage, and the rest will not handle BF3 fast enough.

So pretty much, you're kind of low on system resources for BF3; what is your gaming resolution?
Related resources
January 26, 2012 2:23:49 PM

Eldd said:
Your video card is on the lower end of the game's spectrum, and it's bound not to be able to carry the game for longer periods of time till it starts choking on it. Also your CPU is a dual core, and BF3 is known for its best use of a quad core. Your RAM, especially for this game, is not really enough. Only Windows 7 gets 1.40 - 1.50GB RAM usage, and the rest will not handle BF3 fast enough.

So pretty much, you're kind of low on system resources for BF3; what is your gaming resolution?

I have this same issue on my system. I have 2 GTX 470's in SLI, a 6-core i7, and 18gb of triple channel ddr3. I guarantee its gotta be a software issue with origin or bf3. It only happens some days. But it's rediculous. I can run any other game on ultra with no issues. I have even monitored my hardware, and my graphics cards never go over 60C. Thats hot, but I am a tech, and I know these cards are made to handle it. I don't think its anything that can be corrected by the user.
January 26, 2012 10:50:45 PM

Could be heat or gpu driver issue? I have a Core2Duo 2.4ghz 2gb ram and a 9600GSO pretty old and yet no problem with BF3 at all. Played it on 1360 x 768 at low setting @30-45fps
!