Gaming argument at work!

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi there!, if you have a bit of spare time, feel free to read on.

There's a new guy at work who apparently knows a lot about computers and hardware. After a small discussion with him, he treated me like I was dumb and the arguments he used don't seem very solid for me. No big deal about this, but I'd like to know if I should treat him seriously or not :D

First off, a bit of background info:

My PC has currently a Core i3 540 processor. May be a bit of a basic processor, but it's worked fairly well so far. I wanna upgrade to Sandy/Ivy Bridge next year, depending on benchmarks and price ratio, and leave my current processor and mobo for my bro since he's got no PC. With that, he'd have almost all the necessary parts to build a basic PC.

Okay,

So I asked this guy a bit about OCing, saying I wanted to build a gaming rig. I told him I was thinking about OCing a bit my Core i3 in the meantime till I upgraded, because my graphics card will be arriving soon (HD 6950, although I didn't specify to him, I just said I was getting a card). He just stared at me with a "what's wrong with you" face and told me to buy a PS3. He went on saying OCing should be with a i7 Extreme and nitrogen liquid.

What the hell? Yeah that might be a beast of a CPU/OC but it can't be the only way to go, right? I wouldn't even need anything above probably an i5 2500k and a Hyper 212+ cooler for some OCing to have a pretty decent gaming system, right?

He argued that with a console you don't spend on constant upgrades. That may be right, but games generally look much better on PC than on their console versions, besides that there are many online exclusive PC games as well. With the huge cost difference in here between PC games and PS3 ones, the costs are comparable anyway.

So what do you think? Is it THAT dumb of an idea to think about OCing a bit such a small processor for a few months? Does gaming honestly require a i7 Extreme or a 2600k astronomically overclocked?

Which one do you prefer? Console or PC gaming? If console, which one? This guy said he wants a Wii :D

Well, I don't know what that guy is talking about. First off, it depends on the game. Some are CPU bound, some are GPU bound. If it is CPU bound, then you should be able to OC. The amount of OC will depend on your CPU, motherboard, and PSU. extra cooling helps depending on how high you OC. Anything at or above 3Ghz should do well. The only thing is your I3 is a dual core and some of the newer games perform better on quad cores. Again, it's going to depend on the game.

Any mid-level computer with a decent modern video card will kick the crap out of any current console.

I love my PS3, but my PC with an elderly Intel E7500 and a Radeon HD4850 still looks better than my PS3 and has no problems with most games. I wouldn't try playing battlefield 3 on it though. ;)

P.S. the only time I see liquid nitrogen come into the mix is for extreme overclockers. We're talking over 5ghz.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239858/amd_breaks_overclocking_record_leaves_the_competition_in_the_dust.html

heids24

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I think he overstated what is needed to OC. If you do just mild overclocking, air cooling is just fine with some additional air flow and heat sink set up. That would have to be determined with careful monitoring of performance and temperatures through.

Some CPUs are better suited for overclocking (i7 processors), but OC isn't limited to i7 processors.

As far as gaming preference, PC by far. PCs are an order of magnitude more powerful than current consoles. I do have a PS3 and 360 also, but only play them for exclusive titles. There are some great titles on the consoles so if he doesn't want to worry about upgrading parts, driver updates, random crashes, etc. a console isn't a bad way to go. The benefits of pc gaming make it worth any headaches for me though (higher resolutions, mods, M&K controls, higher player counts in mp, etc.)

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Agree with the above. I love my consoles and have 2 360's and a PS3 currently. As far as something to play games on and stream media to they do their job.
But they are not even on the same level as PC gaming. Which i use to do quite a bit of. But if you want to overclock you want to start doing some research first. A good place to start where you can get some people who really know what they are doing is http://www.overclockers.com/

You can post up with all your specifics (processor, motherboard and so on) and get some good answers as to just how far you may want to push it before a lot of extra cooling would be needed, or until the OC makes your system unstable.
And as you may already know certain processors and graphics cards are just made to be OC'ed, so when looking for your new one make sure you get one that has the best potential. Something like an Intel core i5 2500K 3.3GHz 6M Smart Cache LGA1155

Personally you could just go to a place that builds them like Cyberpower.com. You can customize every inch of your new system without actually having to build it. Although it may cost you a few hundred more.

The one part he did have right is about the constant need for upgrading, but my argument to that would have been that consoles do the same thing every 5-6 years. Which is about the same amount of time it takes for most people systems to become fairly outdated by the games. And when technology has just passed your motherboard by making it hard to find parts that would be much of an upgrade.

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion!
I agree with you and with the previous posters as well.

I'm well aware OCing potential depends on processor, cooling unit, PSU and mobo, and since my current specs aren't that good (see below) maybe he said those things about i7 and stuff. But even if my current setup isn't the best overclocker on the block, I'm convinced it can at least help me hang in there during the few months I'll be waiting before the CPU/mobo upgrade. Core i3 might be dual core, but IMO it's recent enough to handle most gpus with little to no bottleneck, which would be probably solved with some OCing. Problem comes with newest games, as they're starting to take advantage of quad cores.

My system:

- Core i3 540 @ 3.07 GHz (stock speed)
- Intel DH55TC mobo
- 4 GB Kingstom DD3 RAM (getting another one, so they'll soon be 8 GB)
- Radeon 6950 1GB (bought it already, must wait for it to arrive)
- Antec Earthwatts 750W (getting it soon)
- Coolermaster Hyper 212+ CPU cooler (getting it soon)
- will be gaming at 1080p on a 23" monitor.

So yeah, pretty sucky build for now if I wanted to get a high OC. Mobo won't let me do much, but I haven't found enough info specific to my components to actually try it myself. Read about someone who could get it to about 3.8 GHz with my same mobo, though.
AFAIK, or at least according to Coolermaster's website, the Hyper 212+ can handle both 1156 and 1155 mobos, so it'd be perfect for me because it'd last through the upgrade. Gotta be 100% sure about that before purchasing tho.

Anyway. My plan would be to upgrade probably to i5 2500k, or maybe Ivy Bridge if it's worth it. Once I decide on the processor, I'd have to get a new mobo as well. I honestly have no idea about what mobo to get, I do want something decent but I'd need it to be as cheap as it can without compromising too much quality. I guess I'll have to deal with that by then, because that's still months ahead and we don't know which will be the definitive CPU to get yet.

Well, I think that pretty much describes my current situation and plans. I'll follow your advice and check out overclockers forum to learn more about OCing.

I really wanna play Skyrim! I'm sure my PC will run it but I wonder how far it may go with my CPU, hehe :)

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
OK, I did NOT even read any of the replies, just the OP. So only wanna say- your, uh, work friend? ...is a dumbass. Can't see how anyone "good with computers" would advise you to get a PS3 and his OCing "advice" was laughable. So rock on and do your thing, dude.
Oh and, well, you don't seem the confrontational type, so I don't know if this helps and I SO DON'T WANT TO EGG YOU ON OR ANYTHING, but I'd walk up to the guy and flat out tell him he's a dipshit. Just sayin'.

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Hahahaha you made me laugh. Yup, I didn't like the guy at all. Treated me like I'm an idiot when clearly he doesn't have idea about what's he talking about, or at least that's what I can see after reading the replies in here.

Yeah, I don't like confrontating very much. Specially because it's a work environment, so it wouldn't be convenient. Besides I'm a girl, I don't feel like it's worth it to have another argument, clearly not worth the time :lol: but I believe that might have been the main reason he treated me like a retard. Oh well. I'm sure about my decisions now anyway, I'll just keep going till my rig is complete :)

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

Good on you. Stay the course and remember: Geeks abide.
Give a shout out on the forums again when/if you need help with the new build. Good luck!

^^^

What's the point of buying a Core i5-2500k if you are not going to overclock? Might as well save $10 or $15 and buy the Core i5-2500.

Most games are limited by the GPU rather than the CPU as long as the CPU is not slow enough to bottleneck the GPU. The core i3-540 should be fine for Skyrim, however, I have not checked if that game is CPU dependent. At least you can take comfort in the fact that a dual core Core i3 CPU can hold it's own against a quad core Phenom II in games that can use more than 2 cores. This applies to both Clarkdale and Sandy Bridge Core i3s; of course Sandy Bridge would be faster though.

It don't think the core i3-540 will bottleneck the HD 6950 by much even if you cannot overclock the CPU. Upgrading the CPU will not be absolutely necessary, but if you have the itch to upgrade then...

As for your new co-worker... just ignore him.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Any self respecting gamer would NOT consider/want a Wii. Who is this guy anyways? ...going from laughing at OCing a CPU to wanting a Wii.

That said, PC Gaming is very specific and while you get better graphics (and in my opinion, better controls for say shooters) you end up paying a lot more for your platform. If you're on a budget and you don't not getting the best visual graphics treatment, then I'd say buy a console. You'll save hundreds of dollars. On the other hand, It's morally wrong for me to play a game on consoles when the game is also offered in PC Version. But that's just me.

sibela

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Thanks for the input. AFAIK Skyrim is CPU dependant, dunno how much weight it is compared to the GPU needs, but I sure hope my current CPU will do with very little bottleneck :) I'll be happy as long as I can put it on reasonably nice settings without too much hassle. I didn't know my i3 is capable of comparing to a quad-core Phenom II, that really lightens me up! :)

I do want to upgrade, as that would let me unleash my GPU to its fullest potential, besides newer games will gradually require some more processing power. Not a matter of life and death though, I'll just quietly wait till next year to see how prices and benchmarks are going. First my GPU needs to arrive so I can test everything and measure my CPU limits.

Well, I guess we'll see by then. For now, I feel confident enough about my decisions and basic knowledge to ignore this guy. I gotta thank forum for that! I'll keep researching and learning some more, and see what happens later on.

Thank you! :)