Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Skyrim Texture Flickering?

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2011 5:56:24 PM

I'm running two Radeon 6950s in crossfire. Skyrim's graphic auto-detection was at High so i left it there. During the beginning i didn't notice any problems. Even after leaving the cave area it seemed ok for a little while. Then after exploring for another 30 minutes or so I started seeing flickering of some textures (only some) in the environment. Rebooting didnt help. Even in the startup screen I now see flickering - its weird. Doesn't seem to be a cooling issue as MSI afterburner shows my temps below 60c. Also - nothing is overclocked. Any help or advice with settings would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best solution

November 11, 2011 6:12:00 PM

darcangelorr said:
I'm running two Radeon 6950s in crossfire. Skyrim's graphic auto-detection was at High so i left it there. During the beginning i didn't notice any problems. Even after leaving the cave area it seemed ok for a little while. Then after exploring for another 30 minutes or so I started seeing flickering of some textures (only some) in the environment. Rebooting didnt help. Even in the startup screen I now see flickering - its weird. Doesn't seem to be a cooling issue as MSI afterburner shows my temps below 60c. Also - nothing is overclocked. Any help or advice with settings would be greatly appreciated!!!

I seem to recall reading that Crossfire wasn't [yet] supported for Skyrim. I'd start by turning that off.
November 11, 2011 6:13:47 PM

apparently turning off crossfire fixes everything and a new redetect of video settings with crossfire OFF yields a result of Ultra-High recommended settings - and the games seems to run great. Now I'm asking myself - Why the F did I buy two graphics cards... seems like crossfire is the damn issue on every F'ing game.

Related resources
November 11, 2011 6:14:29 PM

Best answer selected by darcangelorr.
November 25, 2011 11:51:12 AM

Just because Skyrim does not need two high end cards to run well, does not mean other games don't (with all the graphics eye candy).

My guess is why many games have problems with crossfire and SLI is that it takes some extra coding to implement well. Any time something is extra or special in comparison to the standard... it is going to be less stable.

These are the prices you pay when you are trying to hit the edge of graphics processing power.
!