Asus P4T quick question

G

I was wondering what that other power source connector does. (the one on top of the palce where u plug the ide cables in)
i have had the p4t running without it for along time and after install xp i am having problems shuting down
xp would close and so would the lights on the case but u would still hear the fan running and see the last screen on the monitor, but im sure the computer has powered off (well not fully) the led inside is always lit ..

does any of this power bussiness have to do with the connector?

What is going on with my baby? haha

please respond
thanks
Mike

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
here's the "neat" thing about the pentium 4: it requires extra power to work properly.
that connector that you mentioned is called the atx 12v power connector. all it does is it supplies extra power to the processor which supposedly makes it perform better. im not sure if it has anything to do with your power problem.
btw, im not sure if connecting that 12 v connector makes any difference cuz i used my P4 without it for about a month until i realized that i had to plug it in. when i did, i didnt notice anything different.

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

G

I was and am currently having problem shutting down my system built with the P4T. First encounter was with Win98 and was fixed after an 'apparently unrelated' problem with ddevice driver (i think it was the USB) was installed successfully. Now I have installed my system to dual-boot into Win2k using SCSI HD. But the system refuse to turn off, only the display is turned off. I felt that my problems have got nothing to do with the additional power connectors. I am still trying to fix my problem. Hope u got better luck!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The green LD always stays on.

There is a square 4 pin connector for aux power to your motherboard. and there is a standard power connector (like on your HD) for older cases without the correct square type power connector.