Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi
I want to backup MyDoc's
the folder is 14Gb large, with 700 folders and 35000 files
and it takes more than 2 hours to copy or make a backup with NTBACKUP (WindowsXP
PRO)

Now I only want to backup those files which has changed or has been added since last
backup
how do I do that???
When I started my backup-job (with a "v" in MyDoc and set only to backup those files
which has changed) the job started to backup ALL the files in MyDoc (i had only
changed one file and added one file to test the job).

--
erik
Denmark

erik wrote:

> Hi
> I want to backup MyDoc's
> the folder is 14Gb large, with 700 folders and 35000 files
> and it takes more than 2 hours to copy or make a backup with NTBACKUP (WindowsXP
> PRO)
>
> Now I only want to backup those files which has changed or has been added since last
> backup
> how do I do that???
> When I started my backup-job (with a "v" in MyDoc and set only to backup those files
> which has changed) the job started to backup ALL the files in MyDoc (i had only
> changed one file and added one file to test the job).

The easiest (and probably fastest way) is to use XCOPY in a batch file.
For example entering XCOPY C:\MyDoc\*.* D:\MyDoc /D /S /R /Y will
copy all the files that have changed since the last backup from the C:
drive to your D: drive including all subdirectories. I use a version of
this to backup over 60 GB of files (many hundreds of thousands of files
total) and it takes less than a half hour on a relatively slow computer.
This command can be used to back up over a network with appropriate
changes to the directory names.