Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Skyrim and gtx 550 ti problems

Last response: in Video Games
November 11, 2011 8:13:06 PM

got skyrim last nite and been playing for a while now but im very confused seeing as how i have a nvidia gtx 550 ti card and have to play on all low settings to get a decent frame rate! i play BF 3 on at least medium settings and never get slowdowns, but with skyrim i get significant slowdowns on medium texture quality and all other settings on low. so im thinking i might need to get a new card. SO any suggestions on either a new card that will run on ultra, some overclocking that wont run my computer into the ground or some tweaking guides so i can play on at least high settins no AA or AF. anything would be appreciated!!!

hp amd phenom X II sixcore processor 1045t
nvidia gtx 550 ti
corsair 600 watt power supply

November 11, 2011 9:28:32 PM

Hello, read TH latest article on skyrim. The game is only optimized for 2 threads and is CPU limited. 550 is a bit on the low end for requirements, so if you're playing on huge resolution and af/aa cranked up then it will be slow.
I think your case is probably limited by clock rate on each core which isn't high?
November 11, 2011 10:06:26 PM

AntiZig said:
Hello, read TH latest article on skyrim. The game is only optimized for 2 threads and is CPU limited. 550 is a bit on the low end for requirements, so if you're playing on huge resolution and af/aa cranked up then it will be slow.
I think your case is probably limited by clock rate on each core which isn't high?

could u do me a favor and post the link to the article i have to go to work and dont have time to look it up??
Related resources
November 11, 2011 10:15:16 PM

ya it is less optimized than bf3. i can get over 100 with all maxed in bf3 with 570 sli and am lucky to get 55fps in skyrim
November 12, 2011 2:47:58 AM

tjosborne said:
ya it is less optimized than bf3. i can get over 100 with all maxed in bf3 with 570 sli and am lucky to get 55fps in skyrim

dang and thats really saying something with the SLI's , they will probly fix it in the next patch. does anyone know if the first day patch ever happened??
November 12, 2011 5:59:10 AM

oh, it happened. i went for midnight release and couldnt play til 5am because i was waiting for the patch to install. pissed me off, last midnight release i go to, at least for pc. ill opt for steam next time
November 12, 2011 8:33:15 AM

looking at the benches for the 550ti shows its not a bad gfx card. it only suffers when you get to 1080p or above... so im guessing its a nvidia driver issue...
November 12, 2011 8:36:05 AM

tjosborne said:
oh, it happened. i went for midnight release and couldnt play til 5am because i was waiting for the patch to install. pissed me off, last midnight release i go to, at least for pc. ill opt for steam next time

ya steam is the way to go, so many good deals on there its unreal, hopefully they have some more good sales come xmas time. wasnt the floating mammoth glitch and the one hit kill by the giants and then fly 100 ft in to the air glitch supposed to be fixed cuz it just happened to me!
November 12, 2011 1:41:51 PM

HEXiT said:
looking at the benches for the 550ti shows its not a bad gfx card. it only suffers when you get to 1080p or above... so im guessing its a nvidia driver issue...

its not all bad, some games it runs like a dream, like metro 2033 i can run it on almost max settings with dx 11 but have horrible problems with crysis and the witcher 2 when i get past medium. i dont think its a driver problem bcuz i didnt used to be set up for driver updates, then eventually i registered and now im signed up for automatic update, sometimes ill get a message at 4 in the morning to update and ill wake up and do it.

Best solution

November 12, 2011 8:58:17 PM

johndud said:
could u do me a favor and post the link to the article i have to go to work and dont have time to look it up??

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-...

that article points out that only nvidia has working drivers for dual cards in Skyrim, AMD is working on theirs

regardless, looks like 5570 should be a fine card to play skyrim with
November 19, 2011 3:30:04 AM

Best answer selected by johndud.
!