Skyrim - Your first thoughts?

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello fellow geeks! :hello:

I know it's only been just over 24hours, but I just wanted know your first thoughts on the game? Graphics, gameplay and so on.

loans87

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
my sapphire hd 5770 allowed for ultra settings at the fullest. The graphics look to be slightly better than oblivion, the UI has been very simplified like they intended the game to be on consoles. I personally liked the Oblivion setup better so far. Maybe I'll come around and get used to Skyrim's.

On another note, if anyone knows how to be able to switch from spells to melee with a hotkey, please inform me of this ASAP lol I'm really hating having to equip my sword and shield after healing or fireblasting a baddy

Underclocked

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

if the items menu, if you hit "f" while you mouse over an item, you bind it to your favorites menu (quickly accessed by hitting default Q). From the favorites menu, you then mouse over the item you want to hotkey and hit the number hotkey you want to bind it to.

loans87

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
thanks for the tip, i was hoping for just a key to switch from a two spell setup straight to sword and shield or other combination

loans87

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I definitely am enjoying the game more so than when I first started. It's got the potential to take up whatever time I have this weekend... THAT good

I'm pretty sure their will be a mod for that... for now I think you can use some macro software and bind 2 buttons at once :3

Anywho, I'm wanting info on the melee combat on this game... is it true that its like hitting air and enemies always bleed out of their crotch?

loans87

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

I did notice I was able to slash opponents at somewhat of distance and while turning, some hits hit when I wouldn't have thought they would. However, bleeding out the crotch isn't something I've taken note of lol I'll be watching to make sure

Hah yeah I might not have known about it if BlueXephos hadn't pointed it out in one of his youtube videos XD

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

This seems to work both ways and they are able to hit you from further away them you would think possible at times too. I was hit by a guy half way down a set of stairs, I was on the platform at the top and to one side of the top of the stairs, so he hit me over the stair rail and the hand rail of the platform from half way down the stairs, with his great axe of extension I presume lol.
So far i like the game but, looks awesome and the fighting mechanics are way better than Oblivion. I'm sure someone will mod out the little imperfections soon enough. Give it a few months and there will be enough mods out to suit most tastes and fixes needed and so on and Skyrim will reach PERFECTION lol. That's what i love most about PC gaming and particularly games like this.

loans87

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
I had two enemies on the ground while I was on a dock. Their shoulders were about level to my feet and they could not hit me. Too bad for them, sitting ducks get headshots

Thegeek

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Been hearing that a lot of people have complained about the graphics. Even some idiot said on Youtube " How can you say Call of Duty has bad graphics! have you seen Skyrims? They're awful!" (Not the actual words, but close enough). Anyway, the graphics are awesome in my opinion, even if they don't match the most graphically intensive games. They are much, much better than Oblivion graphic, so how can anyone complain is beyond me.

Some of the things annoy me at the moment, like the sneak. The sneak skill if too "good" :lol: I went into a cave and an bandit outlaw walked towards me and stopped just 1ft in front of me while I was in sneak with nothing blocking the view. Kinda makes the game feel somewhat easy. Still love the game.