Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

laptop Home xpsp2 to Prof xpsp2 problems

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Windows XP
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 12:23:02 PM

I'm updating a very new Toshiba laptop from Windows XP Home SP2 to Windows XP
Professional SP2. During installation, numerous files come up
missing...wmicmoff.xs_, wmictfmt.xs_, wmictfns.xs_, msconv97.dl_,
icwconn1.ex_, icwconn2.ex_, etc. all looking in i386 folder. They cannot be
found. Windows still operates correctly but now I can't do anything with the
personal firewall. I've tried reinstalling the software and the same thing
happens. Any suggestions on ways to get around this? I need to be on
Professional in order to network the laptop.

Thanks
Hope

More about : laptop home xpsp2 prof xpsp2 problems

December 7, 2004 4:04:06 PM

Suggestion:
Do not upgrade from Xp Home to Xp pro. Make a clean
install....
You won't have any troubles...

February 22, 2005 12:13:04 PM

I just 'upgraded' from Home to Professional on my old Toshiba laptop Sunday.
For TWO days I have been trying to fix it. I lost all network connectivity. I
can not even set up a dial-up -the choices are 'greyed out.'
My programs no longer pull up to the right of "Programs" on the Start Menu,
although they are still in the PC....etc. (too numerous to mention all the
issues).
I have been trying all of the MS support fixes but most of them don't work
in my case. They all seem pretty simplistic.
Sorry for all the ranting - my question I guess, then, is should I have
simply installed rather than "upgraded" as recommended? The choice says that
this option doesn't guarantee the programs won't be deleted.
I tried it on my old laptop first just for this reason. I KNEW something
would go wrong. I set up a restore point just before the upgrade but restorig
to the prior version is apparently not an option.

I'm beginning to (finally) understand why so many of my friends and
co-workers have bought MACS.

"JR" wrote:

> Suggestion:
> Do not upgrade from Xp Home to Xp pro. Make a clean
> install....
> You won't have any troubles...

a b D Laptop
February 22, 2005 3:41:14 PM

I hate to say this, but the upgrade from Home to Pro is pretty effortless
and works like a charm, if done correctly. That includes plenty of advance
preparation. And backing up is standard procedure when making changes to any
operating system. (Even Macs)

But that's all water under the bridge now. If in fact you are in a situation
where it's "too numerous to mention all the issues" then you're probably
best off doing a clean install. This time, take advantage of all the good
information available on how to do a clean install. Many people have
invested many hours to help you.

Modem Ani

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just 'upgraded' from Home to Professional on my old Toshiba laptop
Sunday.
> For TWO days I have been trying to fix it. I lost all network
connectivity. I
> can not even set up a dial-up -the choices are 'greyed out.'
> My programs no longer pull up to the right of "Programs" on the Start
Menu,
> although they are still in the PC....etc. (too numerous to mention all the
> issues).
> I have been trying all of the MS support fixes but most of them don't
work
> in my case. They all seem pretty simplistic.
> Sorry for all the ranting - my question I guess, then, is should I have
> simply installed rather than "upgraded" as recommended? The choice says
that
> this option doesn't guarantee the programs won't be deleted.
> I tried it on my old laptop first just for this reason. I KNEW something
> would go wrong. I set up a restore point just before the upgrade but
restorig
> to the prior version is apparently not an option.
>
> I'm beginning to (finally) understand why so many of my friends and
> co-workers have bought MACS.
>
> "JR" wrote:
>
> > Suggestion:
> > Do not upgrade from Xp Home to Xp pro. Make a clean
> > install....
> > You won't have any troubles...

February 22, 2005 3:41:15 PM

Thanks. My frustration level is just a bit high. I *thought* I did everything
correctly (e.g., being sure I had a way to manually install the audio driver
while installing since XP Pro has a 'known issue' of deleting [my] audio
driver during install, weird stuff that one has to cope with) but alas, there
always seems to something else. I will just INSTALL. I was even prompted to
activate my Office XP when using Word, which of course, I did years ago, when
I purchased it. Since I can't get online, I had to call (thank goodness it's
an option). Just a bunch of oddball annoying things.

There was areason I started with the old laptop and not the new one. I
*need* this one.

"Modem Ani" wrote:

> I hate to say this, but the upgrade from Home to Pro is pretty effortless
> and works like a charm, if done correctly. That includes plenty of advance
> preparation. And backing up is standard procedure when making changes to any
> operating system. (Even Macs)
>
> But that's all water under the bridge now. If in fact you are in a situation
> where it's "too numerous to mention all the issues" then you're probably
> best off doing a clean install. This time, take advantage of all the good
> information available on how to do a clean install. Many people have
> invested many hours to help you.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just 'upgraded' from Home to Professional on my old Toshiba laptop
> Sunday.
> > For TWO days I have been trying to fix it. I lost all network
> connectivity. I
> > can not even set up a dial-up -the choices are 'greyed out.'
> > My programs no longer pull up to the right of "Programs" on the Start
> Menu,
> > although they are still in the PC....etc. (too numerous to mention all the
> > issues).
> > I have been trying all of the MS support fixes but most of them don't
> work
> > in my case. They all seem pretty simplistic.
> > Sorry for all the ranting - my question I guess, then, is should I have
> > simply installed rather than "upgraded" as recommended? The choice says
> that
> > this option doesn't guarantee the programs won't be deleted.
> > I tried it on my old laptop first just for this reason. I KNEW something
> > would go wrong. I set up a restore point just before the upgrade but
> restorig
> > to the prior version is apparently not an option.
> >
> > I'm beginning to (finally) understand why so many of my friends and
> > co-workers have bought MACS.
> >
> > "JR" wrote:
> >
> > > Suggestion:
> > > Do not upgrade from Xp Home to Xp pro. Make a clean
> > > install....
> > > You won't have any troubles...

February 22, 2005 11:33:02 PM

In news:6BE96B55-5B0C-43C0-B151-ED121BB7F4E6@microsoft.com,
Terry <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks. My frustration level is just a bit high. I *thought* I did
> everything correctly (e.g., being sure I had a way to manually
> install the audio driver while installing since XP Pro has a 'known
> issue' of deleting [my] audio driver during install, weird stuff
> that one has to cope with) but alas, there always seems to something
> else. I will just INSTALL. I was even prompted to activate my Office
> XP when using Word, which of course, I did years ago, when I
> purchased it. Since I can't get online, I had to call (thank goodness
> it's an option). Just a bunch of oddball annoying things.

Do you have the appropriate drivers from Toshiba in order for it to enable
the modem? This has been rather recent trouble of mine. The end result in my
case was that the modem was burned out but in the process I learned that the
modem won't work without the Toshiba ACPI and a few other things don't seem
to function that well unless you update the BIOS but that particular one is
a Toshiba Tecra 8100 (PIII 700 386 MB RAM) and a bit out of date. The end
result? I ended up ording a USB modem for the client and the seller sent
along a PCMI card modem for it as well. But that's a whole other story...

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes