Light Flickering in Skyrim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shesaxombie

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hi everyone!
Like a lot of people, I just got Skyrim last night and it's pretty awesome.. except for it's really hard to play because whenever I'm outside, the lighting flickers a ton. It's almost as if the sun is a giant spratic strobe light, or lightning is going off like crazy. It makes the game really hard to play. I've tried all sorts of different settings and nothing has improved. Sometimes, even things off in the distance, such as mountains and what not, will flicker as well.
I'm running a Nvidia GTX GeForce 460.
I've checked on the drivers and I'm all up to date.. and Steam updated my DirectX as well when it installed.

Thanks for any help! :D

Mattyj3000

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011

Hey mate..... I got skyrim last night and im having the same problem... its almost like constant thunder and lightning.
Im pretty sure its a bug as it doesnt alway happen.. sometimes I come out a dungeon and its fine, then sometimes it goes crazy.

I find its only outside as well, and usually mountains in the distance that flicker or when you look at the sky.

Im running a Nvidia Gforce GTX 560

Hopefully there will be a patch soon... but for the meantime just stay in the dungeons :p

Cooldarkfusion

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
hey, I'm having this same issue. Its a flickering of anything that has a shadow/fog/smoke involved and mostly only happens while looking up in mountain area but I've only just started playing soo. I have made sure my audio is set to recomended settings 44khz, have nvidia driver 285.79.

I have 2 MSI 560 Ti's in SLi, I'll try disabling Sli and see what happens. any suggestions on what else we can try?

My nvidia control panel isn't forcing any particular settings other then high quality textures.

G

ok, I had the same problem too, and I have a GTX 570 card, but I luckily solved my problem this morning...

What I would do is to recheck your driver version (I used the auto detection on the nvidia site) and it turned out my graphics card had version 3, while it was supped to be 287... once I had updated the game does not have the flickering lights anymore, everything works simply perfect! (and the game even proposes to use ultra settings now... =D)

I do wonder why it was at version 3 though, I had updated it a few weeks ago..

Cooldarkfusion

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
are you refering to your graphic card hardware revision? Are you Sli or single card gamegek? I tried dissabling SLi and the flickering went away but now the game crashes to desktop ever 5 min. I'v changed the audio already.

maceuz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I am having the same problem here as well. Have done all of the tweaking and can not figure it out. Very annoying.

GTX 460
i7 quad core 3.0ghz
6GB ram
Tried direct x 10 and 9.0c.

The game runs fine on High settings and my res is 1920x1080. Must be buggy. It does the same thing on my girlfriends AMD with a crap graphics card and a smaller monitor and less value ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.