Recovery console asks for a password - there never was one

I am trying to repair a Win XP home c drive. When I get to the recovery
console it asks for a password. I never used a password - I never do.

Is there a default password? I already tried "administrator"

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about recovery console asks password

    "Bill L" wrote:

    > I am trying to repair a Win XP home c drive. When I get to the recovery
    > console it asks for a password. I never used a password - I never do.
    >
    > Is there a default password? I already tried "administrator"
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do not use the "repair option"

    Password bypass

    From "http://www.theeldergeek.com"
    Recovery Console Password-
    On many XP installations you can't start the Recovery Console because it
    won't recognize your password. This registry edit causes the Recovery Console
    not to ask for a password. This works for both XP Home and XP Professional.
    Start | Run | Regedit
    Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
    Exit Registry and Reboot

    Try blank, ie nothing.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Bill L" <Bill L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20789755-4EC4-4934-AAD0-A23A5CEBF922@microsoft.com...
    >I am trying to repair a Win XP home c drive. When I get to the recovery
    > console it asks for a password. I never used a password - I never do.
    >
    > Is there a default password? I already tried "administrator"
    >
    > Thanks.

Microsoft Recovery Console Windows XP