Unable to set 'DMA Enabled' on secondary hard drive

I am running Windows XP professional. SP1. (Had SP2 but too many conflicts
with Adobe Premiere 6.5) Installed a second hard drive (80 gig, 7200 rpm) for
video editing purposes. This drive is working in PIO mode. I am unable to
switch it to DMA Enabled mode. I tried changing the option to PIO only and
then changing it back, rebooting, everything I can think of. Help! Any
suggestions?

Bad cable? Jumpers set right? Power supply up to the demand of two HDD's?

Bobby

"CLM Atlanta" <CLM Atlanta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP professional. SP1. (Had SP2 but too many conflicts
> with Adobe Premiere 6.5) Installed a second hard drive (80 gig, 7200 rpm)
> for
> video editing purposes. This drive is working in PIO mode. I am unable
> switch it to DMA Enabled mode. I tried changing the option to PIO only
> and
> then changing it back, rebooting, everything I can think of. Help! Any
> suggestions?

"CLM Atlanta" <CLM Atlanta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP professional. SP1. (Had SP2 but too many
> conflicts with Adobe Premiere 6.5) Installed a second hard drive (80 gig,
> 7200 rpm) for video editing purposes. This drive is working in PIO mode.
> I am unable to switch it to DMA Enabled mode. I tried changing the
> option to PIO only and then changing it back, rebooting, everything I can
> think of. Help! Any suggestions?

Usually, uninstalling the affected IDE channel (device manager) and a reboot
solves such problems.

Steve & NoNo,

I tried uninstall/reboot - no luck. I have tried several different
suggested jumper configs, no luck. My power supply could be an issue, I
suppose - I had to add a Y-splitter (or whatever you call it). Can an
additional power supply be added? In general, I mean. Also, do you think
adding an ATA controller card would help?

> Steve & NoNo,
>
> I tried uninstall/reboot - no luck. I have tried several different
> suggested jumper configs, no luck. My power supply could be an issue, I
> suppose - I had to add a Y-splitter (or whatever you call it). Can an
> additional power supply be added? In general, I mean. Also, do you think
> adding an ATA controller card would help?

I have no idea about your system - usually, a "bigger" power supply can be
fitted. Tried to make the 80gig your first HD? More importantly, are both
HDs of same brand? An ATA card may help but no guarantee..it should be
tested since compatibility issues may arise.