a hoopla of questions

G

I'm looking into getting a bunch of new crap for my computer, and I've got a few questions:

What's a good mobo for 266 Athlon XP? I've been looking around, but I don't know which one to pick. Although I'm pretty sure it won't be the EP 8hka+..

Does the chipset on the mobo make a huge difference? I remember reading somewhere that to get best performance out of an XP, you need the VIA KT266a chipset. Any truth to this?

Is Raid a good thing to pursue for home use? Mostly gaming and such.

Also, what's the difference between the two types of Raid?

I know some of the questions might seem a little silly, but hey, 'when in doubt, ask!'

Thanks

Woooh Math!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
#1: K7T266 by MSI.<A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/K7T266pro2-RU.htm" target="_new"> MSI K7T266 PRO2-RU </A>

#2 Yes. Huge difference.

#3 For the most part, no. Unless you are a speed freak (like me), or just enjoy bragging about your rig. You need either two or four hard drives to use it.

#4 Actually, three types of RAID (somewhat). RAID 0 is striping the data, essentially writing it twice to both drives, but both drives are read at once when accessing a file, speeding up operation. RAID 1 is mirroring, just duplicating all the data put on one drive to another incase you have a HD failure. RAID 0+1 is essentially both, but requires 4 hard drives. The other two, individually, require at least two.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

G

Great. Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going with the K7T266.

Woooh Math!