DEFRAGMENT

December 8, 2004 1:53:18 PM

I am running XP home and its defrag program.

I am curious as to what the resulting display really means. I know what the
colors represent but would like some insight into the positions. My last
defrag shows 0 volume and file defrag. It shows contiguous files both at
the left and right side of the "graph". Does it represent the beginning and
end of the disk? If so is there any way to tell which files are where?
Thanks for any info--Frank

More about : defragment

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:55:07 PM

Disk Defragmenter window

Open HELP in Disk Defragmenter

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:o YC2ucV3EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
FRANK <FRANK@SOMEWHERE.COM> hunted and pecked:
> I am running XP home and its defrag program.
>
> I am curious as to what the resulting display really means. I know
> what the colors represent but would like some insight into the
> positions. My last defrag shows 0 volume and file defrag. It shows
> contiguous files both at the left and right side of the "graph".
> Does it represent the beginning and end of the disk? If so is there
> any way to tell which files are
> where? Thanks for any info--Frank
December 8, 2004 5:17:28 PM

Thanks Wesley, The info in the link is helpful but does not address the
actual location of files and why there are contiguous fileFrank
news:o TdmugW3EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Disk Defragmenter window

> Open HELP in Disk Defragmenter
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:o YC2ucV3EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> FRANK <FRANK@SOMEWHERE.COM> hunted and pecked:
> > I am running XP home and its defrag program.
> >
> > I am curious as to what the resulting display really means. I know
> > what the colors represent but would like some insight into the
> > positions. My last defrag shows 0 volume and file defrag. It shows
> > contiguous files both at the left and right side of the "graph".
> > Does it represent the beginning and end of the disk? If so is there
> > any way to tell which files are
> > where? Thanks for any info--Frank

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2004 10:44:46 PM

Hi Frank,

I can't answer all or your question, but you may want to know that
contiguous files are those that have been defragmented and are in the proper
order. It is normal to see bands of blue then a strip of white then green
and again blue, etc. after the partition has been defragmented. It is also
normal to see a bit of red after a normal defragmentation.

HTH, JAX

"FRANK" <FRANK@SOMEWHERE.COM> wrote in message
> Thanks Wesley, The info in the link is helpful but does not address the
> actual location of files and why there are contiguous fileFrank
> news:o TdmugW3EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Disk Defragmenter window
>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>>
>> Open HELP in Disk Defragmenter
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:o YC2ucV3EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> FRANK <FRANK@SOMEWHERE.COM> hunted and pecked:
>> > I am running XP home and its defrag program.
>> >
>> > I am curious as to what the resulting display really means. I know
>> > what the colors represent but would like some insight into the
>> > positions. My last defrag shows 0 volume and file defrag. It shows
>> > contiguous files both at the left and right side of the "graph".
>> > Does it represent the beginning and end of the disk? If so is there
>> > any way to tell which files are
>> > where? Thanks for any info--Frank

December 9, 2004 12:05:43 PM

JAX, Thanks for you reply ---Frank
"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> Hi Frank,
>
> I can't answer all or your question, but you may want to know that
> contiguous files are those that have been defragmented and are in the
proper
> order. It is normal to see bands of blue then a strip of white then green
> and again blue, etc. after the partition has been defragmented. It is also
> normal to see a bit of red after a normal defragmentation.
>
> HTH, JAX
>
> "FRANK" <FRANK@SOMEWHERE.COM> wrote in message
> > Thanks Wesley, The info in the link is helpful but does not address the
> > actual location of files and why there are contiguous fileFrank
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:o TdmugW3EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> Disk Defragmenter window

> >> Open HELP in Disk Defragmenter