Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Compaq Computer

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
February 19, 2001 3:27:23 PM

I have to disagree with Dandy... Personally my feeling on Compaq Computer is this, the new Compaq Presario is very easy to upgrade, very roomy (easy to put new parts in and out). the drives are screwless, so replacing them if needed takes only seconds. One thing I don't understand is why everyone says they are proprietary. These computers are equivalent or better than what Dell, Micron, HP, or any other has to offer. Plus they come with free tech support for a year. This blue screen of death as Dandy puts it is probably something he caused. Nothing more than a software conflict of some sort. I agree building your own clone has its advantages but for the price and the tech support you can't beat a Compaq!!!

P.S. I think Compaq has a bad wrap because of the old systems they used to manufacture. These were very proprietary but the new systems are more standard with Quality Parts. Such as NVIDIA, Creative Labs Products, Athlon and Pentium Processors. Don't forget the old saying "You get what you pay for". I mean if you buy a low end unit with shared memory and only 64MB of Ram. Chances are Quake 3 will not run as well. It all comes down to being educated on what you are buying and what it will be used for.

More about : compaq computer

February 20, 2001 11:53:26 PM

What i think of Compaq? (From experience!)
Let me count the ways...
1. It Sucks!
2. It Sucks!
3. It Sucks!
1000. It Sucks!
1001. It Sucks!
1000000. It Sucks!
1000001. It sucks!
And goes on and on!

Get the point?

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone
Anonymous
February 21, 2001 3:31:12 AM

Compaq make big roomy cases and screwless entry cause they know people are going to have to go into them a lot, when you are forever popping out drives you learn a quick way of doing it, but hey, you get what you pay for, HP, IBM and PB make cheap crap too
Related resources
February 21, 2001 5:14:58 AM

mbaha says
"build your own you'll love it more"
p.s compaq sucks
February 21, 2001 1:44:01 PM

Glad to see that we have real intelligence out there. A 12 year old could come up with something better than that. Believe me Compaq did not get as big as it is selling crap. I know some of you have your own opinions but they are just like ......... well you get the point. Try and be a little more positive will ya.
February 21, 2001 2:21:49 PM

OK! Not Everything Compaq does is Crap!
The Servers are not so bad!

But you must love the guys if you think they make good computer!

I have worked with Compaq computer in 3 different places
in 3 distinct times (enough time in between that the machines were completely different!) and on those 3 times
the machines were always going back to base to fix something! Sometimes the machines were sent back because the problem that needed fixing wasn´t!
Worse yet, a friend at work , had is notebook sent to
compaq to fix, and they kept the notebook 6 months!
You heard it right ! 6 months to fix a damn TFT panel!
And you say they are not crap?
Your love for them look like... well you get the point!
Can´t be positive on something that is such crap!!

February 21, 2001 5:56:15 PM

Well I have to agree with you that if it took six months to get it back that is terrible. I would not have waited six months, I promise you that I would have had a new unit after two weeks....
February 21, 2001 10:50:13 PM

The great thing is that by law , compaq had to give him a
new and better notebook!

February 22, 2001 8:53:11 PM

I recently obtained a Presario 1600XL140 notebook with 98, and I want to go to Win2K. This notebook isn't one I would call a "consumer" item, more a business system. Compaq do not support Win2K on this product line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing I cannot get to work on my notebook is the modem. However, I have no intention of ever getting another Compaq.....I'll go for a bitza system next time!
February 23, 2001 1:04:57 AM

You maybe able to locate the driver from www.driverguide.com... I will search a little more and see what I can find....
February 23, 2001 1:08:09 AM

Thanks for your help....someone from Compaq has actually contributed and supplied a possible driver for the modem...I'll let you know if it works!
Good luck finding one!
Anonymous
March 29, 2001 2:37:02 AM

ZaNtHeR you have gotta be a Compaq Representative that scours through the chat rooms looking for real people voicing real complaints about YOUR product.
Compaq should invest more money into making a quality product then paying the wages of employees such as you to quash legitimate complains.

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic
March 29, 2001 8:58:27 PM

Well, I will let you make your own opinion about me...I just don't like to see someone bash Compaq or any other company for that matter.... In everyone's lifetime you will have problems with something you purchase.... Sometimes it is the consumers fault for buying something they know nothing about....Other times they may actually get screwed by the company... I just don't like to see people throw out false information... If you have been screwed fine let everyone know about it... Believe me though I have seen it all and most issues that arise are caused by the user...I think most technicians will back me on that one...I have had good luck with my three Compaqs....I have seen others have very bad luck...but understand most of the components in the unit are not made by Compaq...Companies like Western Digital, NVIDIA, Creative Labs, and so on make up the components...Most issues I see are software issues that the user caused by either downloading something that they have no idea what they are downloading or delete something that they don't understand...I would guess that most of the people that visit this forum at least have a clue what they are doing, but the 95% of the population that have computers
are totally clueless....That is just my $0.02!

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>
March 30, 2001 7:23:41 AM

compaq=pos
the end

well not really
zanther is it your job to promote commiepaq? this is the only place you post and all you say is that commiepaq's don't suck. And yes i have had the nightmare of working on some and being around them and see them all mac looking with shity compents and high prices.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”
March 30, 2001 7:53:18 AM

Well, there's no better deal than home-built computers. 0 sec tech support, hardware-based warranty, and great satisfaction of achievement. Besides, there's no tech support that matches yourself.

------------------
This site is cool.
March 30, 2001 10:00:54 PM

I agree but not all users are experts....

March 30, 2001 10:03:29 PM

mbaha=moron
You never have anything positive to say about anyone or anything... My advice to you is "Don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash!"

April 1, 2001 3:59:45 AM

First off compaq=crap
second you never posted anything but compaqs are the best computer in the world.

third i post in other sections and help people you don't in fact there have been many people here that are having problems with their compaqs where were you then?? My quess is that you were in here saying compaqs are cool because they have neat cases ect.
mbaha

April 1, 2001 2:45:04 PM

Sorry ol' bean, but I agree. You have no arguement.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
April 2, 2001 9:06:04 AM

I wonder what makes Compaq the second or third computer company in the world. Is marketing really that powerful?

-------------
This site is cool.
April 2, 2001 7:21:16 PM

1.Radio Shack
2.They make a good server.
Anonymous
April 3, 2001 6:16:55 AM

YES!
Just look at these threads, and you can see the marketing reach that Compaq has. It is very obvious that old ZaNtHeR is a Compaq PR employee that lurks around these popular posting areas to misinform the public to the truth about Compaq’s poor quality product.

I just goes to show how marketing is a powerful tool…heh, just ask Coca Cola :p 

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic
April 4, 2001 9:29:46 PM

one time a cdrom on my old compaq died so I called them and asked for a new one. They said 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I called again. THey said 5 days. 5 days later they said backordered be there in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later they said two days. Two days later I received four cdroms. I sent the broken one back. We finally killed the last of the four last year. RIP

ILLEGALISE BULLETS
April 5, 2001 1:06:20 PM

Compaq is only good if your looking for a disposable PC.

Believe me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Anonymous
April 6, 2001 11:14:27 PM

The Presario line is a SOHO system. If you are looking for business applications, you should buy an Armada. However, I do agree that it is dumb that win2k can't be put on the 1600 series. They offer it on the 1800 now, but only if you buy it original with the system, same as any other major computer manufacturer.
Anonymous
April 6, 2001 11:44:40 PM

I am gonna go out on a limb, and hope that good ol' Zanther doesnt work in some high up place for compaq. I personally work for compaq. An I can tell you that the company definitely has some problems. In their defense, they no longer use proprietary parts, and their Laptops kick Ass. If you pay for a 7000 series presario, you will get at very least a TNT card and a SB 128 sound card. while not spectacular, these are not proprietary parts. They no longer use the riser board either. The problem with compaq is twofold: they have crappy software, and their support sucks.

The software seems all normal and innocent until you try to run any program not preinstalled. I own a presario 7000 series with a geforce2 GTS, and it only gets 20 frames a second in quake 3. I also have 128 MB of RAM. The reason it runs so cruddy: They install all sorts of programs that run in the background, many of which are close to impossible to get rid of. The only way to truly purge the system of of the evil within is to format. At which point you have no tech support. After formatting and installing win2k, it ran great. Never been more pleased. But, once again, I had no tech support. Which brings me to my second complaint

Their service sucks. As previously mentioned in this thread, they like to drag out any problems you have. Even though there are drivers on the homepage, they will not give them to you if you install another OS. You have to find drivers on your own after finding out they will not tell you who manufactured the Modem and NIC. Tech support is a managerie of long hold times, and rude Customer Reps.

The moral of the story: Buy Compaq if you are in the mood for problems that are frequently encountered with many major computer companies, but the hardware is decent.

Calm Like a Bomb!
April 8, 2001 12:27:00 AM

For Compaq the saying goes more like "You don't get what you pay for"

-----------------
"All alone in his own little world"
April 9, 2001 7:14:45 PM

I will agree with some of the things you stated but as far as being more stable since you put Win2k on, well, Win2k is more stable anyway.....As far as support goes is like any other tech support depends on the tech you get... When and if I call tech support and I feel like I am talking to a moron I hang up and get someone else...Think about it...

April 11, 2001 12:34:28 AM

So if I call and get I should hang up.
mbaha

Anonymous
April 11, 2001 5:57:01 AM

Well of course ZaNtHeR wouldn’t have any trouble. He works for the damn company and can probably bypass the 2-5hr queues. But for us real people in the real world, hanging up and ringing again is a pretty lame response to this issue. And saying, “ .....As far as support goes is like any other tech support depends on the tech you get…”, how insulting!! what crap! I work for a corporate IT supplier as an account manager. If I got a call that a tech was not helping a client to the endth degree, then said tech would be in my office for an explanation of his actions. Compaq should be employing responsible techs that want to help the end users. Because, incase you’ve forgotten ZaNtHeR, the people on the other end of the phone pay your wages! In effect they are your boss, and should be treat as gold. All the techs in our company either share this philosophy or looks for another vocation.

Lawson the very vigilant Compaq PR stalker :) 
April 11, 2001 4:05:49 PM

mbaha you shouldn't call until you learn how to speak English!

April 11, 2001 4:08:50 PM

LAWSON=Moron
It is like any company... You have good employees who make the extra effort and you have bad employees....How is it being an account manager for Charmin Toilet Paper? I figured that out by all the crap you wrote....

Anonymous
April 11, 2001 10:16:04 PM

Saying Lawson=Moron is just what I expected a Compaq employee to say in response to my post, because you can't handle the fact that your companies computers are of poor quality and design.

I hope all prospective Compaq buyers are reading this, because it's typical of Compaq...computers suck, support queue are long and the service sucks.

The company I work for prides itself on service. Our clients are the most valuable company asset we have (learning anything from this Compaq??). If a client has an issue we are not happy until the issue is totally resolved. All calls are answered within 3 rings by a support tech, not 3hrs by a queuing machine.

April 14, 2001 3:54:45 AM

If you are soooo proud of your company why don't you post the name of it... I am sure someone has had a bad experience at some time or another...I am just being honest... Compaq is a big company... probably too big for it's own good...Normally the small mom and pop shops will have better customer service.. that goes without saying... as this is their bread and butter....When a company gets too big sometimes areas suffer....hey but look at the big picture... Compaq sells many computers whether you like it or not....There are many satisfied customers just like their are dissatisfied customers....Trust me on this one though most issues that are called in for support are user caused... I am sure most who have a clue about a computer don't call or exercise every thought before calling tech support...Most people that call into tech support are totally clueless...you ask for something easy like the serial number for the tower and they give you the monitor serial number...Geez just getting someone to get into safe mode sometimes is like pulling teeth...or I like this one....They call in getting a simple non-system disk and the tech asks do you have a floppy in the floppy drive... they say no and 30 minutes later they say oh yeah I forgot that was in there.. after you have tried a zillion things....

April 15, 2001 9:07:54 PM

Quote:

There are many satisfied customers

Yes, only because they know absolutely nothing about computers and thought they were getting a really sweet deal, when all they did was pay too much for a piece of crap.

Quote:

Trust me on this one

LOL. You're running around saying "Compaq is #1!!!", and you want us to trust you? ROFL

Quote:

I am sure most who have a clue about a computer don't call or exercise every thought before calling tech support

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the reason you're not getting any smart people on those tech lines is because, well, THE SMART PEOPLE ARE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO BUY A COMPAQ IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Quote:

Most people that call into tech support are totally clueless

As are many of the poeple who buy your [-peep-] computers.

Quote:

you ask for something easy like the serial number for the tower and they give you the monitor serial number...Geez just getting someone to get into safe mode sometimes is like pulling teeth...or I like this one....They call in getting a simple non-system disk and the tech asks do you have a floppy in the floppy drive... they say no and 30 minutes later they say oh yeah I forgot that was in there..

Don't get all goody-goody with us.... that's the last place you want to be.

--------
Time is never time at all. You can never ever leave, without leaving a piece of you.
April 16, 2001 8:41:51 PM

LOL!

You tell him , Griz!!

"I always wanted to be the first" - Pope John Paul II (The second)
April 17, 2001 4:40:39 PM

Griz,

Do you ever have anything positive to say about anything... Hate to be in your shoes... Sounds like you have a nice life (NOT)!!

Anonymous
April 17, 2001 11:09:22 PM

No problem at all ZaNtHeR, I'd be happy to advertise my company here :) 
I work for a company called National1, Australia's largest "Single Source" Corporate Supplier that is completely Australian owned. I have worked for many companies in my years in IT, some being like your Compaq, and as you can see I don’t offer them my services any more. I love working for National1 as they truly care about the clients, as do I, and this is why they are such a strong company. I too have had to support people on the phone that are not computer literate, but instead of scorning them, I get enjoyment from teaching them how to correct the problem over the phone. Also, they get a real sense of achievement that they have conquered the issue they where facing, and are now armed with the knowledge to correct the same issue in the future if the need arises.

ps Notice How I call them “clients” and not customers. YOU have customers, as long as you get the sale that’s all you care about, Compaq IMO has no concept of client retention nor do I think they care either. I have clients, people who return time and time again, and whom I build strong business relations with, because of the service and attention to detail in the sale that I offer ALL my clients. Some I don’t see for 2-4 years after I have sold them the computers equipment they needed, and when they return to update their system, they return to ME because of the service I offer. Even to the extent of tracking down where I work if I’ve gain a better job (damn that gives me a buzz) and THAT is what sales and service is all about ZaNtHeR old bean.

April 19, 2001 1:13:13 AM

My life will always be better than yours, you lower class bastard you! :wink:

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.
April 19, 2001 1:45:59 PM

Griz, I highly doubt that since you live in Canada (America's favorite place to dump our trash)...Trash breeds trash....Sorry Griz but it is inevitable that you will always be a loser... Has there ever been anything good that came from Canada... Oh yeah Shania Twain...Now get back to digging my ditch before I fire ya!

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ZaNtHeR on 04/19/01 08:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
April 19, 2001 3:07:05 PM

Before you start bashing Canada, along with anything else that isn't Compaq, you should visit Canada. I think you'd change your view of how nice the USA is after a drive from Detroit to Buffalo via Toronto.
April 19, 2001 10:27:51 PM

That statement alone proves me right. You just screwed yourself. Going from Detroit to Windsor is like going from hell to Heaven.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.
Anonymous
April 19, 2001 10:30:04 PM

So, I see you've placed no comment about my post ZaNtHeR. How typical.

ps. Don't buy a Compaq, they suck!

Anonymous
April 23, 2001 1:02:28 AM

I'm still waiting ZaNtHeR <taps foot>
...WELL?!

Anonymous
April 26, 2001 3:04:14 AM

Ummmm, maybe old ZaNtHeR got the flick from Compaq?? Doesn't seem to post BS here anymore. Well lets all thank ZaNtHeR for comming to these forums and showing us all just how bad Compaq really is.

Final Score in the Compaq Sucks game...
Forum 1
Compaq 0
*Lawson Cheers*

My work here is done :wink:

April 26, 2001 7:07:37 PM

I thought it was

Forum 568
Compaq 0

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:
April 26, 2001 10:39:13 PM

Well, i think one of his bosses caught him slacking his work off (I bet he was a Janitor!) and scared the lot out of him!
No one with a little computer knowledge would defend Compaq so fiercely!!

Or maybe my message to him , saying we were tired of his Bull got through and he just quit!!

Sex is like Pizza! When it´s good it´s really good.
When it´s bad, it´s still very good!
Anonymous
April 27, 2001 4:40:56 AM

*Lawson cheers @ LordKaos

April 27, 2001 9:24:00 PM

Well, Kudos for all of us!!

Sex is like Pizza! When it´s good it´s really good.
When it´s bad, it´s still very good!
April 30, 2001 6:27:13 PM

Actually I have been on vacation....I have nothing to reply about your post.... I mean we are comparing apples to oranges...I am glad to hear about companies like the one you work for... Competition sometimes is a good thing....I am not here to strictly defend Compaq...I will defend or CORRECT anything that I have knowledge on that has been posted incorrectly or in most cases the person has no clue just likes to bash aimlessly...
On a different note... Right now here in Houston Enron has inflated the electrical and gas utilities soooooo much...Some people are having to get second jobs to keep afloat....Soon they will be allowing individuals to pick their own untility company... Again competion is a good thing...
I can understand peoples feelings regarding bad experiences with Compaq or any other company...We are all consumers...but a big part of the problem is people are buying things they have no idea about...Then get a little educated about computers and are unhappy with the purchase they made and then become angry later with the computer maker...because of their own ignorance...I have had bad experiences as well with companies... haven't we all...Lawson, I am glad their are people like you here...You have a good opinion and intelligence to back it up...but you have to admit there are others that just like to put down anything positive others have to say... Why does it have to be soooo negative? All, I want to do here on Tom's BB is make sure FACTS are posted...not some lame smack someone wants to lay down....I could bad mouth everyone if I wanted and I do sometimes...but my main purpose is to help here... If I can help someone then GREAT!!!!

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ZaNtHeR on 04/30/01 01:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!