Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
I have to disagree with Dandy... Personally my feeling on Compaq Computer is this, the new Compaq Presario is very easy to upgrade, very roomy (easy to put new parts in and out). the drives are screwless, so replacing them if needed takes only seconds. One thing I don't understand is why everyone says they are proprietary. These computers are equivalent or better than what Dell, Micron, HP, or any other has to offer. Plus they come with free tech support for a year. This blue screen of death as Dandy puts it is probably something he caused. Nothing more than a software conflict of some sort. I agree building your own clone has its advantages but for the price and the tech support you can't beat a Compaq!!!

P.S. I think Compaq has a bad wrap because of the old systems they used to manufacture. These were very proprietary but the new systems are more standard with Quality Parts. Such as NVIDIA, Creative Labs Products, Athlon and Pentium Processors. Don't forget the old saying "You get what you pay for". I mean if you buy a low end unit with shared memory and only 64MB of Ram. Chances are Quake 3 will not run as well. It all comes down to being educated on what you are buying and what it will be used for.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
What i think of Compaq? (From experience!)
Let me count the ways...
1. It Sucks!
2. It Sucks!
3. It Sucks!
1000. It Sucks!
1001. It Sucks!
1000000. It Sucks!
1000001. It sucks!
And goes on and on!

Get the point?

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

G

Compaq make big roomy cases and screwless entry cause they know people are going to have to go into them a lot, when you are forever popping out drives you learn a quick way of doing it, but hey, you get what you pay for, HP, IBM and PB make cheap crap too

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Glad to see that we have real intelligence out there. A 12 year old could come up with something better than that. Believe me Compaq did not get as big as it is selling crap. I know some of you have your own opinions but they are just like ......... well you get the point. Try and be a little more positive will ya.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
OK! Not Everything Compaq does is Crap!
The Servers are not so bad!

But you must love the guys if you think they make good computer!

I have worked with Compaq computer in 3 different places
in 3 distinct times (enough time in between that the machines were completely different!) and on those 3 times
the machines were always going back to base to fix something! Sometimes the machines were sent back because the problem that needed fixing wasn´t!
Worse yet, a friend at work , had is notebook sent to
compaq to fix, and they kept the notebook 6 months!
You heard it right ! 6 months to fix a damn TFT panel!
And you say they are not crap?
Your love for them look like... well you get the point!
Can´t be positive on something that is such crap!!

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Well I have to agree with you that if it took six months to get it back that is terrible. I would not have waited six months, I promise you that I would have had a new unit after two weeks....

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
The great thing is that by law , compaq had to give him a
new and better notebook!

squib28

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently obtained a Presario 1600XL140 notebook with 98, and I want to go to Win2K. This notebook isn't one I would call a "consumer" item, more a business system. Compaq do not support Win2K on this product line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing I cannot get to work on my notebook is the modem. However, I have no intention of ever getting another Compaq.....I'll go for a bitza system next time!

squib28

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your help....someone from Compaq has actually contributed and supplied a possible driver for the modem...I'll let you know if it works!
Good luck finding one!

G

ZaNtHeR you have gotta be a Compaq Representative that scours through the chat rooms looking for real people voicing real complaints about YOUR product.
Compaq should invest more money into making a quality product then paying the wages of employees such as you to quash legitimate complains.

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Well, I will let you make your own opinion about me...I just don't like to see someone bash Compaq or any other company for that matter.... In everyone's lifetime you will have problems with something you purchase.... Sometimes it is the consumers fault for buying something they know nothing about....Other times they may actually get screwed by the company... I just don't like to see people throw out false information... If you have been screwed fine let everyone know about it... Believe me though I have seen it all and most issues that arise are caused by the user...I think most technicians will back me on that one...I have had good luck with my three Compaqs....I have seen others have very bad luck...but understand most of the components in the unit are not made by Compaq...Companies like Western Digital, NVIDIA, Creative Labs, and so on make up the components...Most issues I see are software issues that the user caused by either downloading something that they have no idea what they are downloading or delete something that they don't understand...I would guess that most of the people that visit this forum at least have a clue what they are doing, but the 95% of the population that have computers
are totally clueless....That is just my $0.02!

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
compaq=pos
the end

well not really
zanther is it your job to promote commiepaq? this is the only place you post and all you say is that commiepaq's don't suck. And yes i have had the nightmare of working on some and being around them and see them all mac looking with shity compents and high prices.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, there's no better deal than home-built computers. 0 sec tech support, hardware-based warranty, and great satisfaction of achievement. Besides, there's no tech support that matches yourself.

------------------
This site is cool.

ZaNtHeR

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
mbaha=moron
You never have anything positive to say about anyone or anything... My advice to you is "Don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash!"

<b><font color=blue>Perception is Reality!!!</b></font color=blue>

mbaha

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
First off compaq=crap
second you never posted anything but compaqs are the best computer in the world.

third i post in other sections and help people you don't in fact there have been many people here that are having problems with their compaqs where were you then?? My quess is that you were in here saying compaqs are cool because they have neat cases ect.
mbaha

“Build your own you will love it more”

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wonder what makes Compaq the second or third computer company in the world. Is marketing really that powerful?

-------------
This site is cool.

G

YES!
Just look at these threads, and you can see the marketing reach that Compaq has. It is very obvious that old ZaNtHeR is a Compaq PR employee that lurks around these popular posting areas to misinform the public to the truth about Compaq’s poor quality product.

I just goes to show how marketing is a powerful tool…heh, just ask Coca Cola :p

Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amateurs built the Ark - professionals made the Titanic

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
one time a cdrom on my old compaq died so I called them and asked for a new one. They said 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I called again. THey said 5 days. 5 days later they said backordered be there in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later they said two days. Two days later I received four cdroms. I sent the broken one back. We finally killed the last of the four last year. RIP

ILLEGALISE BULLETS

G

The Presario line is a SOHO system. If you are looking for business applications, you should buy an Armada. However, I do agree that it is dumb that win2k can't be put on the 1600 series. They offer it on the 1800 now, but only if you buy it original with the system, same as any other major computer manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.