Your question

XP Pro 64bit - Good for gaming ?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • X64
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 26, 2005 6:56:08 PM

What is <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx" target="_new">Windows XP Professional x64 Edition</A> like for gaming & are there any driver issues with it ???
Thanks

More about : pro 64bit good gaming

June 27, 2005 2:26:19 AM

XP64 can run 32bit applications, but there aren't many drivers to support hadware.

---------------------------------------------
?
July 1, 2005 3:41:04 PM

I didn't install xp64 on my new amd64 computer because drivers are currently lacking.

xp64 is going to take some time to get going..it's not going to come onto the market like 2000 or xp did when released.

Why?

The demand isn't that strong.. it's there, but without software pushing hardware, there is no need.

In the industry, software pushes hardware. With 64, hardware is pushing software.. xp64 is a huge step in technology.. so if you're going to game and not use too many peripherals, you'll be fine most likely. If you want to hook up a printer, nostromo n50/52, wireless joystick, the drivers are not currently available.
July 3, 2005 6:55:46 AM

We should make a sticky with the drivers we've found.

There are drivers for the NF4 boards and nvidia and ati cards which means I probably could run the OS if I ever got around to it.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>
July 4, 2005 4:00:44 AM

I've installed and run HalfLife2, Doom3, Far Cry (32bit and 64bit versions), and Call of Duty under Win x64, and each runs as good as under Win XP Pro.

I have a dual boot Win XP Pro/Win x64 box, so that the pc hardware is identical for each OS.

I'm reposting some info from another thread:

"As a general proposition, if you currently have an AMD Athlon 64 based system, it's a good chance that your motherboard manufacturer has 64bit drivers for all the chipsets and controllers on your motherboard.

For instance Asus, Abit, and all the other major MB makers are quite good at making 64bit drivers available for download. There are a few exceptions like you have to go to RealTek to download 64bit drivers for MB that use RealTek audio chipsets. Creatve Labs has an abundance of 64bit drivers for most of the Sound Blaster audio cards.

AMD has super list of 64bit drivers found here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/DevelopWithAMD/0,,3...

Extended64.com and PlanetAMD64.com are helpful sites with links in the forums to some 64bit drivers.

The AMD webpage has links to 64bit drivers for Linux as well. In addition, the webpage says that HP and Lexmark have several 64bit drivers for some of their printer models. It says some 64bit drivers for some Xerox, Ricoh, Canon, and Epson printers are builtin the Windows x64 OS.

Broadcom has 64bit drivers for wireless products that use it's "54G family" chipsets."
July 4, 2005 3:31:21 PM

So.... As long as I can find the drivers I need it will be fine.
Looking around some companies are great with 64bit drivers (Creative, Logitech) and some don't mention them (Canon, Netgear).
July 5, 2005 1:43:30 PM

You should be able to find most drivers for your motherboard and basic parts - since your board and newer hardware was designed knowing 64bit was coming into play.

The problem is when you start getting into 3rd party hardware.

Wireless keyboards/mice? Haven't heard anything on some of those fancier ones if they require a 64bit driver?

My nostromo and joystick for gaming won't workon 64 yet- as far as i'm aware since last checking their sites for drivers.

My printer is fine though.
July 6, 2005 5:07:28 PM

OK. I have a Belkin wireless keyboard and optical mouse set. The set operates on batteries, transmits in RF, and connects via a USB dongle. Works just fine in Win x64 without additional drivers. In fact, the extra keys or so-called internet and media keys on the keyboard work.

I also have a Logitech MX500 optical mouse, which is practically identical to the popular colorful MX510. It, too, works fine in Win x64 with no extra drivers. It connects via a USB plug or via PS/2 adapter. All the buttons on the MX500 work, and you can program the seven mouse buttons for pc gaming as well.
July 7, 2005 3:28:16 PM

I have to figure most mice and keyboards work.. wasn't sure about wireless though, but considering the popularity it would have worked against microsoft not to include support if in fact it did require 64bit drivers.

I don't have a copy of 64 to work with, so I haven't had a chance to install my nostromo, which chances are will probably work now that I think about it more. It acts as an additional keyboard device. The wireless joystick will probably work since it's nothing special to use and almost considered basic equipment in gaming.
!