I'm destperately trying to use newsgroups. Have followed intstructions and
set up account with outlook. I seem to have a few microsoft newsgroups but
no others. When asked if i want to download local newsgroups i click yes
just to be told (server could not be found) what does this mean please??
TIA

Have you signed up with your ISP for newsgroup service?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Manbreck 01" <roly01@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm destperately trying to use newsgroups. Have followed intstructions and
> set up account with outlook. I seem to have a few microsoft newsgroups but
> no others. When asked if i want to download local newsgroups i click yes
> just to be told (server could not be found) what does this mean please??
> TIA

Hi, Manbreck.

Welcome to the Microsoft newsgroups!

I have a couple of suggestions...

> set up account with outlook.

According to the headers for your message, you are using Outlook Express 6.
There is another program from Microsoft, named Outlook, but it is distinctly
different from OE, so please be sure to specify Outlook Express when you do
not mean Outlook 97 or Outlook XP or one of the other versions of Outlook.
Sometimes we know what you mean, but both OL and OE handle some of the same
functions (especially email) so there's a strong chance of confusion.

> I seem to have a few microsoft newsgroups but no others.

All of the 2,000+ Microsoft public newsgroups are "home-based" at the
Microsoft public news server (msnews.microsoft.com), which is free and does
not require you to logon. Many other news servers "slurp" messages from
there and relay them - and any responses - back and forth, often resulting
in messages that are delayed, out of sequence or simply lost. Those other
servers usually subscribe to only some of the available groups; it sound
like your ISP's news server carries only "a few".

Click here:

Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that single click
should start OE (if it is not already running), create a News Account for
the MS public news server, connect you to this newsgroup, and download the
300 latest headers. In other words, it should bring you right back here -
but connected directly this time, rather than through a "middleman".

Then you can, at your convenience, customize OE to fit your preferences.
For example, you can click Tools | Options... and the Read tab; under News,
you can change the number in Download ___ headers at a time, from the
default 300 to as much as 1,000, or uncheck the box to get them ALL. (In a
busy newsgroup, this might take a while the first time, even with
broadband.) On the Maintenance tab, you can change the setting for Delete
news messages ___ days after they are downloaded; the default is 5 days, but
I've changed mine to 32 days. There are plenty of other ways you can make
OE suit yourself.

Enjoy the newsgroups!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Manbreck 01" <roly01@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> I'm destperately trying to use newsgroups. Have followed intstructions and
> set up account with outlook. I seem to have a few microsoft newsgroups but
> no others. When asked if i want to download local newsgroups i click yes
> just to be told (server could not be found) what does this mean please??
> TIA

jw

What do you see for News Account Name
when you click on Tools >> Accounts >> News tab >> Properties >> General
tab,
and what do you see for Server Port Number
when you click on Tools >> Accounts >> News tab >> Properties >> Advanced
tab ?

Now check with your ISP to see if these are the correct values for their
News Server.

I had the same problem as you at first. But it all worked fine, after I
changed the Server Port Number and checked the box labeled "This server
requires a secure connection (SSL)", per instructions from my ISP.