Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Skyrim keeps crashing

Last response: in Video Games
November 12, 2011 5:30:18 PM

I'm playing Skyrim for the PC and it keeps crashing to windows 7 desktop with no error message every 15-20 minutes or so.

This problem is getting very annoying as I have to save frequently and keep rebooting the game.

More about : skyrim crashing

November 12, 2011 7:46:03 PM

are your drivers updated?
November 12, 2011 8:35:44 PM

yes they are current. Could this be that my video card can't support the program?

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295. I went to NVIDIA and it checked out as working. Anything else I should try before looking at a new garphics card?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2011 9:25:46 PM

what settings are you running the game at?
what are the running temperatures?
what CPU do you have? actually list the full spec if you can
November 12, 2011 10:30:45 PM

AntiZig said:
what settings are you running the game at?
what are the running temperatures?
what CPU do you have? actually list the full spec if you can

I have a Core i7 930 @2.8 GHz, two Radeon HD 5870's (1GB) in Crossfire, and 6GB of RAM.

I'm running the game on 1920x1080 on all "ultra" settings is 2x AA and 4X AF
November 12, 2011 10:32:24 PM

ambam said:
I have a Core i7 930 @2.8 GHz, two Radeon HD 5870's (1GB) in Crossfire, and 6GB of RAM.

I'm running the game on 1920x1080 on all "ultra" settings is 2x AA and 4X AF

You could try to disable crossfire, and see if that still happens. Seems a lot of games lately have problems dealing with SLi and/or crossfire.
a b $ Windows 7
November 13, 2011 5:20:05 AM

afaik, AMD hasn't released the CF drivers for skyrim yet
November 13, 2011 2:45:54 PM

AntiZig said:
afaik, AMD hasn't released the CF drivers for skyrim yet

When will they? Are you 100% sure that this is being caused by a driver problem?
November 14, 2011 12:44:55 AM

I've encountered a glitch. Whenever I look into a container and press R for take all, if I press it twice then the game crashes to desktop with no error...could this be related to you?
November 14, 2011 3:30:12 AM

ambam said:
I'm playing Skyrim for the PC and it keeps crashing to windows 7 desktop with no error message every 15-20 minutes or so.

This problem is getting very annoying as I have to save frequently and keep rebooting the game.

Had/have same problem on pc and laptop its installed on. Believe it might be a problem with steam, because if run directly from launcher it does not crash.
November 14, 2011 10:45:32 AM

I was getting a similar problem but I have an nvidia card. setting skyrim laucher to compatability for vista sp2 fixed it for me.

Its in the steamapps folder, I launch it from there instead of through steam and all is well...... so far!
November 14, 2011 8:33:55 PM

I've been having the same problem. Crashes every 10 or 20 minutes randomly. I'm running a 5870 and Phenom ii x4 965, nothing overclocked, everything staying nice and cool. Ive tried the game at ultra and high graphics settings, 1920x1080 and 3240x1920 resolution. Still have the crashing problem.

Some other problems I'm having include a lot of textures turning purple for some reason, and sometimes they are invisible, usually if I'm inside a building.

Another REALLY annoying problem for eyefinity users is that there is text saying "LEVEL UP" stuck in the HUD on almost the middle of the screen, which blocks a lot of text descriptions on items, and is impossible to get rid of except for making the HUD invisible, which then you lose your compass, words when you pick up items, etc... :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
November 14, 2011 9:50:14 PM

bumnut53 said:
I was getting a similar problem but I have an nvidia card. setting skyrim laucher to compatability for vista sp2 fixed it for me.

Its in the steamapps folder, I launch it from there instead of through steam and all is well...... so far!

I tried this and it did NOT work for me.
November 15, 2011 10:46:53 PM

jerreece said:
Here is what fixes the CTD for lots of folks. Seems to have worked for me.

Official Bethesda Forum Sticky Post
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255753-upd...

Adjust Windows Sound settings to 24bit 44100mhz (not 24bit 48000mhz).

I tried this and it also did NOT solve the crashing problem.
November 16, 2011 2:40:14 AM

This is a terrible problem that takes away a lot of the game's fun.

I wonder what Bethesda has to say about this.
November 16, 2011 2:45:31 AM

jerreece said:
Here is what fixes the CTD for lots of folks. Seems to have worked for me.

Official Bethesda Forum Sticky Post
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255753-upd...

Adjust Windows Sound settings to 24bit 44100mhz (not 24bit 48000mhz).

I did that and it's still crashing.

Although it did solve the sound issues with static during NPC dialogue.

I'm using creative Fatal1ty X-fi
November 16, 2011 4:15:37 AM

ambam said:

I have to say I'll never buy a game by Bethesda again, unless they quickly fix these bugs and test their damn games they make so much hype about...
November 16, 2011 4:02:28 PM

cpham111 said:
I have to say I'll never buy a game by Bethesda again, unless they quickly fix these bugs and test their damn games they make so much hype about...

Quoted from Bethesda's sticky post.

"Wanted to let everyone know that we are working on the next update for the game. Once we have more information on what that covers/fixes, we'll let everyone know."

They'd damn well better fix the crashing issues!
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2011 5:07:34 PM

presumably ATI is putting out new drivers this week (11.11 is out yesterday)
November 17, 2011 2:12:49 AM

AntiZig said:

We shouldn't jump to conclusions because we don't know exactly what is causing the crashes. Whether it be a driver problem, a steam glitch, or an error with the game's code.
November 17, 2011 3:09:13 AM

ambam said:
We shouldn't jump to conclusions because we don't know exactly what is causing the crashes. Whether it be a driver problem, a steam glitch, or an error with the game's code.

You may want to see this thread:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1260131-the...
November 17, 2011 3:40:03 AM

AntiZig said:

The 11.11 drivers are out, but there's absolutely nothing about Skyrim in release notes...
November 20, 2011 5:45:14 PM

I think it has to do with the way the skyrim renders an area. dungeons and buildings take up a certain amount of nodes less then when you are in the outdoors. Since you're running in SLI mode, it may not be splitting up the workload between the two cards as it's suppose to, hence causing you to crash.

Remember that this is still at the core the same engine that ran Fallout 3. It's hard to tell with all of the upgrading they did to it but the issues and .ini files indicate the same core.
November 20, 2011 11:37:07 PM

I think this mod fixes the crashing problem as well as doubles or triples the game's performance. I haven't crashed since I installed this mod.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=123

Otherwise, I heard that there may be a patch after Thanksgiving.
November 25, 2011 1:00:43 AM

Well, We'll have to wait for a Steam update to solve these problems...
I've been having these issues lately, almost constantly. Missing textures, bad shadowing, textures scaled down, stuttering, lag, freezing... Much more... It really has killed the immersion TESV was supposed to give. I wouldn't be surprised, however, as Oblivion was similar when it first came out.
The problem is that these games are optimized to run on 6 year old console hardware(I'm sure almost the whole community is aware of this).
I had bought a HD 6950 to max out this game.. After playing it and seeing reviews, I saw that my GPU didn't perform any better than the HD 6950 or the HD 6870... Pretty upsetting. Well, after getting fan-based patches and mods to improve the game's performance, little changed.
In conclusion, we'll have to suck it up for a while, until Bethesda decides to look back on its PC roots and give us something to really enjoy.
January 4, 2012 4:03:40 PM

im sorry about that its been happening to me too and dont think they fixed it yet.
February 6, 2012 1:20:37 PM

ambam said:

Bethesda seems to have nothing to say to anybody. I think are afraid to admit to all these glitches and problems because people might start asking for their money back.

My game was crashing every hour ... for weeks. Nobody could help me. There was a lot of GUESSING and suggestions but nobody seemed to really know how to fix most this - or any of these problems. Then just by accident I lowered my config settings from Ultra to High .. and it stopped crashing. I have a very good (brand new system) which should play Skyrim on the highest settings .. but I guess not.

I figure it will take at least a year for Bethesda to fix all the glitches and problems.

So we will all just have to wait. Too bad because it is a great game and we all want to play it, but some of these bugs are ruining the fun.
February 15, 2012 3:29:14 PM

I would like to add that i was going through this problem with my Skyrim for a long time. It prgressivly got worse. Anyway on day i decided to open my PC and reseat everything. When i turned on the PC and the game that didnt fix it at all. Now i have a second card that i set up to run PhysX. I disabled my GTX580 pulled out my connector and put it in to my physx card. I loaded the game and played for a little while with no problems. I enabled the card backrebooted the PC and plugged it back and i havent had a reboot ever since. It is wierd. I mean I checked the pc in and out. I am a Sys Admin with extensive knowledge of the PC. My Pc is home built just so you know. When i checked the pc while i was getting the errors i found i was getting the csrss error when i checked the dump file and 1 other erro i cant remember right now. As of now i am getting nothing, no errors at all. I thought i would put this up as another avenue someone could try since this seems to be a mystery to a lot of people.
April 12, 2012 4:53:44 AM

go to your skyrim ini in my games/skyrim/skyrim.ini

under [papyrus]

add the lines

iMinMemoryPageSize=100000
iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000
June 18, 2012 6:36:46 PM

ambam said:
How come it only crashes when I'm in the large open skyrim world and not inside dungeons and buildings?

This doesn't sound like a driver issue.

It sounds like your video card can't handle it try going down on the graphics like high or medium and if it still happens its Time to get a new video card
July 18, 2012 3:12:30 AM

ambam said:

My skyrim Crashes whenever i try to leave Solitude.
November 7, 2012 9:22:59 PM

I had the same issue. What worked for me was uninstalling all of my mods. I know it sucks but that was the only way I was able to even get it working.
February 17, 2013 4:24:06 PM

If you go into game settings and lower the actor, object, and item fade you will put less strain on your video card, and when out in the open world it will crash much less. IT CRASHES because your video card and computer specs are not good enough to play Skyrim on Ultra. Fact: even on the xbox 360 your playing equal to medium graphic setting and the loading screens for the XBOX 360 take forever! if you want ultra, fork up the cash for better video card and specs, if not, play at medium and enjoy the game.
August 9, 2013 2:57:48 PM

Skyrim is one piece of shit, that's the problem.

Best solution

November 27, 2013 10:39:21 PM

Hi I dont know if this forum keeps open, the solution its super easy. Download the update to 1.9 from thepiratebay, and put the shadows al low, I play for 10 hours non stop and works flawless not a single blinc
January 24, 2014 3:39:39 AM

1st there is nothing wrong with your graphics card if you can play the rest of your games perfecly, the problem is skyrim, i spoke to a computer expert and he says that skyrim may require a patch to be added as the cgpu card reads directx 11 as for skyrim that runs in dx10...in other words the card is too powerful for the game, and the game only holds upto 2mb storage, you may have to download a 4gb patch so that the game runs at the operating speed of the gpu card
January 24, 2014 6:26:27 AM

ive fixed it wooooooo....go to piratebay and download skyrim 1.9 update, add to directory, overwrite or merge with all, then from piratebay download skyrim memory patch, and do the same....fixed completely :) 
February 7, 2014 11:22:31 AM

hey i bought the game 2 days ago on stream. when i click on the play it doesnt start. i do everything but it didint work.
also my pc requirements are fine. im downloading free high resolu. tex. pac , this is the firs dlc i m going to have. i think maybe it does work in tha way.

SO do u think should i download 1.9 pack because i have bought it just 2 days ago so i must be updated already. i dont know what to do

Peter Price said:
ive fixed it wooooooo....go to piratebay and download skyrim 1.9 update, add to directory, overwrite or merge with all, then from piratebay download skyrim memory patch, and do the same....fixed completely :) 

March 28, 2014 7:24:55 PM

ambam said:

I have no solution to this, as it is 2014. I have a GTX 660 Graphics card, an A10 6800k cpu and 16gb of gskill ripjaws ram in 2x 8gb config. I also have a xonar sound card and an intel 240gb ssd all running off of an A88X-Pro mobo. The game crashes out every few minutes with no errors even on medium graphics settings. I have all updated drivers and im rocking Skyrim Legendary edition at version 1.9.32.0.8
So. Ideas?
!