Tyan Tiger (Dual AMD) w/ XPs?

G

I recently purchased the tyan tiger and the word on the street is that MP chips are not needed, that the XP chip based on the Palomino core are in essence the same as the MP. Any one heard this? I purchaced dual 1700+ XPs, God I hope they work. Anyone with info on this? I've actually even heard that people were using morgans and T-birds on those boards. Anyhoo, any info would be much appreciated. If anything I should know by the end of this week / early next week. Let you know the results.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
It's a crap-shoot. While it's true that the MP and XP have the same Palomino core, AMD <b>validates</b> the AthlonMP for dual-processing but not the XP (and certainly not TBirds). That means that any MP that doesn't demonstrate the necessary 'SMP-timings' is rejected. Since the XP processors are not tested for SMP compliance, they may or may not work properly (BTW, the Morgans are SMP-validated). ...Good luck!

PS. I really like your news coverage :wink: !

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

srstudios

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
I've been looking at the Tyan Tiger myself and doing much research. A review that may put your mind at ease can be found at www.gamepc.com "The AMD athlon XP and MP: Any Real Difference?" You can also find a link to it from www.2cpu.com. Their tests show that XP's work great! Please post your results if you have the same success. They were also using the same board. Good Luck!

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
My friends brother just built a system with the Tyan Tiger with dual 1.5 XPs (1800+), well at least that is what he tells me, and i believe him. It works fine for him so maybe it'll work fine for you?

G

Thanks for the info, it's putting me a little more at ease. I'll definately post my results. I don't think it's happening this weekend (all the stuff probably won't be in till Mon. or Tues.) I'll let you know then...can't wait.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
My brother recently sweated this out. After getting 2 1600+ AthlonXPs for his Tiger, he encounter stability problems (although each of them would work just fine in single-processor mode)! Fortunately, the dealer was willing to exchange his XP's for another pair and that did the trick, as his system has been stable for 2-weeks now. That seems to support pvsurfer's explanation.