Are there two "automatic updates"?

December 10, 2004 2:51:59 PM

Are "automatic updates" in services.msc and "automatic updates" in the
control panel the same thing?

After installing SP2 Windows Update didn't work. I followed directions
to resolve the problem and can now use Windows Updates. In services.msc
I set Automatic Updates to Automatic and BITS to Start.

This is not the same Automatic Updates as in the Control Panel where
Windows logs on and installs updates all by itself, is it? That I don't
want. Hopefully these are two different items that have been named the same.

Thanks,
Jim

More about : automatic updates

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:19:42 PM

The Automatic Update service is what enables your computer to download and
install Windows updates. If this service is disabled, your computer will not
be able to use the Windows Update Web site. You don't have to use automatic
updates, but you need this service and it should be set to start
automatically.

Your experience should be a lesson: Don't fool around with Windows plumbing.
Ignore the hype from the 'fast answer' web sites.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Jim" <jstevens@accn.org> wrote in message
> Are "automatic updates" in services.msc and "automatic updates" in the
> control panel the same thing?
>
> After installing SP2 Windows Update didn't work. I followed directions
> to resolve the problem and can now use Windows Updates. In services.msc
> I set Automatic Updates to Automatic and BITS to Start.
>
> This is not the same Automatic Updates as in the Control Panel where
> Windows logs on and installs updates all by itself, is it? That I don't
> want. Hopefully these are two different items that have been named the
same.

> Thanks,
> Jim
December 10, 2004 10:13:14 PM

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> The Automatic Update service is what enables your computer to download and
> install Windows updates. If this service is disabled, your computer will not
> be able to use the Windows Update Web site. You don't have to use automatic
> updates, but you need this service and it should be set to start
> automatically.
>
> Your experience should be a lesson: Don't fool around with Windows plumbing.
> Ignore the hype from the 'fast answer' web sites.

Thank you for the answer, I think. I'm not sure how to take your "Don't
fool around with Windows plumbing."
Windows Update worked fine until I installed SP2 which made the changes.
If you do a search on Google, you will notice there are multitudes of
SP2 users who faced the same problem. It's even addressed at Microsoft's
site.

Jim
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 11:33:20 PM

Your problem has nothing to do with SP 2.

!