Are there two "automatic updates"?

Are "automatic updates" in services.msc and "automatic updates" in the
control panel the same thing?

After installing SP2 Windows Update didn't work. I followed directions
to resolve the problem and can now use Windows Updates. In services.msc
I set Automatic Updates to Automatic and BITS to Start.

This is not the same Automatic Updates as in the Control Panel where
Windows logs on and installs updates all by itself, is it? That I don't
want. Hopefully these are two different items that have been named the same.

Thanks,
Jim
3 answers Last reply
More about automatic updates

    The Automatic Update service is what enables your computer to download and
    install Windows updates. If this service is disabled, your computer will not
    be able to use the Windows Update Web site. You don't have to use automatic
    updates, but you need this service and it should be set to start
    automatically.

    Your experience should be a lesson: Don't fool around with Windows plumbing.
    Ignore the hype from the 'fast answer' web sites.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > The Automatic Update service is what enables your computer to download and
    > install Windows updates. If this service is disabled, your computer will not
    > be able to use the Windows Update Web site. You don't have to use automatic
    > updates, but you need this service and it should be set to start
    > automatically.
    >
    > Your experience should be a lesson: Don't fool around with Windows plumbing.
    > Ignore the hype from the 'fast answer' web sites.

    Thank you for the answer, I think. I'm not sure how to take your "Don't
    fool around with Windows plumbing."
    Windows Update worked fine until I installed SP2 which made the changes.
    If you do a search on Google, you will notice there are multitudes of
    SP2 users who faced the same problem. It's even addressed at Microsoft's
    site.

    Jim

    Your problem has nothing to do with SP 2.

    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >> The Automatic Update service is what enables your computer to download
    >> and
    >> install Windows updates. If this service is disabled, your computer will
    >> not
    >> be able to use the Windows Update Web site. You don't have to use
    >> automatic
    >> updates, but you need this service and it should be set to start
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> Your experience should be a lesson: Don't fool around with Windows
    >> plumbing.
    >> Ignore the hype from the 'fast answer' web sites.
    >
    > Thank you for the answer, I think. I'm not sure how to take your "Don't
    > fool around with Windows plumbing."
    > Windows Update worked fine until I installed SP2 which made the changes.
    > If you do a search on Google, you will notice there are multitudes of SP2
    > users who faced the same problem. It's even addressed at Microsoft's site.
    >
    > Jim

Control Panel Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP