Is analog mode still important ? Where ?

Where is analog mode still important?

(I've never paid attention, does my phone
tell me when it's in analog mode?)

I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
Some Bay Area...

Thanks,
-troy
31 answers Last reply
More about analog mode important

    All you have to do in Southern Arizona to learn
    the value of analog is come here with a digital only
    phone. GSM phones in many cases don't even have
    TDMA which is also around in some areas. Always
    get a "tri-mode" phone if you're going to travel. Verizon
    is a best bet. Or, you can get yourself an old analog
    only phone and try to use a credit-card at confiscatory
    rates.Luck!!!

    I use my Verizon Wireless phone in the same areas that you do, as well
    as otheres. I have only needed analog once when I was in rural Maine
    several years ago and that area has been upgraded to CDMA digital
    service since then, so I have no need for analog service. I recently
    replaced my bulky tri-mode LG VX4400 with a slim new all digital LG
    VX4600 which I love. I will keep my old phone and activate it if I
    ever need to travel to an area that's only analog. This can be
    accomplished online without charge.

    There are still fairly large patches of the US with only analog signals.
    Your travelling area is pretty much 100% digital. If your phone ever goes
    into analog, it will probably tell you on the display (don't know about your
    phone, but every one I've seen on Verizon does). Analog is still used by
    OnStar, too. Only the newest cars have the new analog/digital OnStar phones.
    The rest (even most 2004 cars) are analog only.
    You probably can get an analog signal whever you are, just about. Your phone
    will try to get digital where it can, however. Try making a call when your
    phone says "A" or whatever next time. Your battery will last about 10
    minutes!

    Spike wrote:
    > All you have to do in Southern Arizona

    (Or Western Arizona between Kingman and the California border. BT, DT)

    > to learn
    > the value of analog is come here with a digital only
    > phone. GSM phones in many cases don't even have
    > TDMA which is also around in some areas. Always
    > get a "tri-mode" phone if you're going to travel. Verizon
    > is a best bet. Or, you can get yourself an old analog
    > only phone and try to use a credit-card at confiscatory
    > rates.Luck!!!

    Many rural locations in the West. There are hundreds of miles
    of US Highway in Oregon that are only serviced via analog.

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:07:14 -0500, Troy Cauble <spam@optonline.net>
    wrote:

    >Where is analog mode still important?

    The South and West, mostly...

    (Some states are better than others. For instance, GA, TN, and the
    Carolinas have essentially total digital coverage whether from VZW or
    a network partner like ALLTEL, but there's still a lot of CDMA-less
    territory in AL and MS [no-thanks, Unicel!], not to mention KY.)

    >(I've never paid attention, does my phone
    >tell me when it's in analog mode?)

    Depends on the phone.

    >I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    >Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    >Some Bay Area...

    You shouldn't need analog in those areas.

    -SC
    --
    Stanley Cline // Telco Boi // sc1 at roamer1 dot org // www.roamer1.org

    "it seems like all you ever buy is Abercrombie and cell phones" --a friend

    I don't think that "bulky" and "tri-mode" have any relationship. Nor do
    "slim" and "all digital".

    "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use my Verizon Wireless phone in the same areas that you do, as well
    > as otheres. I have only needed analog once when I was in rural Maine
    > several years ago and that area has been upgraded to CDMA digital
    > service since then, so I have no need for analog service. I recently
    > replaced my bulky tri-mode LG VX4400 with a slim new all digital LG
    > VX4600 which I love. I will keep my old phone and activate it if I
    > ever need to travel to an area that's only analog. This can be
    > accomplished online without charge.

    I agree with you, Alan. I have an Audiovox CDM9900 (tri-mode) ... hardly a
    bulky
    phone. Funny some people's notions ... like most blondes are dumb. LOL
    - Philip

    "Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote in message
    >I don't think that "bulky" and "tri-mode" have any relationship. Nor do
    > "slim" and "all digital".
    >
    > "NJ Analyst" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I use my Verizon Wireless phone in the same areas that you do, as well
    >> as otheres. I have only needed analog once when I was in rural Maine
    >> several years ago and that area has been upgraded to CDMA digital
    >> service since then, so I have no need for analog service. I recently
    >> replaced my bulky tri-mode LG VX4400 with a slim new all digital LG
    >> VX4600 which I love. I will keep my old phone and activate it if I
    >> ever need to travel to an area that's only analog. This can be
    >> accomplished online without charge.

    Ever driven through Northeastern Pennsylvania?

    Besides, I like the idea of having every possible chance of getting a call
    through if I have to. Even if it does kill my battery.

    Dean

    "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Ever driven through Northeastern Pennsylvania?

    Every day... Verizon has really good 1x coverage here and even the mom & pop
    roaming partner in rural Wayne & Pike county converted to digital.

    > Besides, I like the idea of having every possible chance of getting a call
    > through if I have to. Even if it does kill my battery.
    >
    > Dean

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:12:13 -0500, Stanley Cline
    <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:

    >>I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    >>Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    >>Some Bay Area...
    >
    >You shouldn't need analog in those areas.

    Indeed. And even in rural northern Indiana, VZW has pretty much
    saturation coverage.

    Mike

    Yeah, thank goodness mom&pop did MOSTLY switch over, but there are still
    considerable holes where analog is still the order of the day.

    Dean
    __________________________________-
    "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Ever driven through Northeastern Pennsylvania?
    > >
    > Every day... Verizon has really good 1x coverage here and even the mom &
    pop
    > roaming partner in rural Wayne & Pike county converted to digital.
    >

    > > Besides, I like the idea of having every possible chance of getting a
    call
    > > through if I have to. Even if it does kill my battery.
    > >
    > > Dean

    Alaska has only recently begun digital service. Analog is still king
    there.

    [This followup was posted to alt.cellular.verizon and a copy was sent to
    the cited author.]

    In article <8CBvd.546$tl2.356@fe10.lga>, spam@optonline.net says...

    > Where is analog mode still important?
    >
    > (I've never paid attention, does my phone
    > tell me when it's in analog mode?)
    >
    > I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    > Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    > Some Bay Area...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -troy

    areas of southern vt
    are analog

    "Troy Cauble" <spam@optonline.net> wrote in message

    > Where is analog mode still important?
    >
    > (I've never paid attention, does my phone
    > tell me when it's in analog mode?)
    >
    > I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    > Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    > Some Bay Area...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -troy

    >> Where is analog mode still important?
    >>
    >> (I've never paid attention, does my phone
    >> tell me when it's in analog mode?)
    >>
    >> I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    >> Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    >> Some Bay Area...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -troy

    Lot's A mode in Maine.

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:07:14 -0500, Troy Cauble <spam@optonline.net> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >Where is analog mode still important?
    >
    >I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    >Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.

    I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between different
    markets. For example, between Michigan City and South Bend, IN, and between
    Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar phenomena on my trip from Chicago
    to Baltimore last summer; the area that I can remember offhand was the
    transition between the OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.

    Also last summer, I rode a train from the Quad Cities up the west bank of
    the Mississippi and spent considerable time in analog. I'd have to check my
    notes to see if there was any south of Dubuque, IA, but I'm pretty sure
    there were substantial stretches from Dubuque north to La Crescent, MN (and
    some of the time, I was getting a signal from across the river in IL or
    WI). Much of this time, whatever signal I had wasn't strong enough that I
    thought I could use it to place a call, although I don't think I ever
    actually tried.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Larger kangaroos leap farther, researchers find."
    - the Los Angeles 'Times'

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:59:48 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between different
    >markets. For example, between Michigan City and South Bend, IN, and between
    >Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar phenomena on my trip from Chicago
    >to Baltimore last summer; the area that I can remember offhand was the
    >transition between the OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.

    It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    different SID/system!

    -SC
    --

    In article <4alcs0drpkl4967n0pht93fu0mv3pujarb@4ax.com>,
    David S <dwstreeter@att.net> wrote:
    >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:07:14 -0500, Troy Cauble <spam@optonline.net> chose
    >to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
    >
    >>Where is analog mode still important?
    >>
    >>I do most of my phoning from NY/NJ area.
    >>Some Chicago & (rural) northern Indiana.
    >
    >I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between different
    >markets. For example, between Michigan City and South Bend, IN, and between
    >Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar phenomena on my trip from Chicago
    >to Baltimore last summer; the area that I can remember offhand was the
    >transition between the OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.
    >
    >Also last summer, I rode a train from the Quad Cities up the west bank of
    >the Mississippi and spent considerable time in analog. I'd have to check my
    >notes to see if there was any south of Dubuque, IA, but I'm pretty sure
    >there were substantial stretches from Dubuque north to La Crescent, MN (and
    >some of the time, I was getting a signal from across the river in IL or
    >WI). Much of this time, whatever signal I had wasn't strong enough that I
    >thought I could use it to place a call, although I don't think I ever
    >actually tried.

    When going from the Sacramento VZW system (112) to the SF Bay Area system
    (040) in California, I also have found my phone forced to analog at the
    transition point, even though both systems are native VZW digital systems.
    The debug screen shows the phone trying to register with the digital
    system, but it fails, and then registers in AMPS mode. Crossing the
    county line which divides the system, it then successfully registers on
    the CDMA system. Weird. It is quite possible that a digital-only phone
    would just hold on to the "old" system when it couldn't register with the
    "new" system.

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:41:31 -0500, Stanley Cline
    <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:59:48 GMT, David S
    ><dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between different
    >>markets. For example, between Michigan City and South Bend, IN, and between
    >>Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar phenomena on my trip from Chicago
    >>to Baltimore last summer; the area that I can remember offhand was the
    >>transition between the OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.
    >
    >It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    >coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    >different SID/system!

    I've noticed this works well when the two systems are of ample signal
    strength.

    But when one or other system does not have ample signal strength, the
    phone will go into analog mode.

    Case in point: eastern Culpeper county in Virginia is a transition
    point between VZW (SIDs 18 & 170) and Alltel (SID 424). Often times
    the phone will go on analog with maybe one bar of signal, then finally
    go into digital as I approach the town of Culpeper.

    I've also noticed sometimes when I travel (fly) into a town and turn
    on my cell phone when I get off the plane that the phone will go into
    analog mode and stay there, even though there is full signal.
    Sometimes its been so bad that even cycling the power off and back on
    won't reset the phone and I had to remove the battery and put it back
    in so the phone would lock onto a digital signal (and this is was in
    native VZW area too - the last time it occured was San Diego this past
    August).

    Dave

    <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:

    >It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    >coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    >different SID/system!

    In the one case cited earlier, on the Ohio/PA border along the
    turnpike, it's a two-company transition...VZW's NE Ohio coverage
    doesn't include the Youngstown/Warren, OH market, which is covered by
    Alltel. That's the Ohio side of the handoff in question...the PA side
    is VZW (and now VZW-alone) SID 32. Alltel gave up its part of SID 32
    recently in PA/OH/WV in favor of SID 126.

    It's still in AC, of course, but it's a different company. I haven't
    noticed such a transition, but I can't recall being in-call while
    going through this area.

    Mike

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:41:31 -0500, Stanley Cline
    > <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:59:48 GMT, David S
    >> <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between
    >>> different markets. For example, between Michigan City and South
    >>> Bend, IN, and between Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar
    >>> phenomena on my trip from Chicago to Baltimore last summer; the
    >>> area that I can remember offhand was the transition between the
    >>> OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.
    >>
    >> It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >> those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >> etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between
    >> 850 coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a
    >> completely
    >> different SID/system!
    >>

    > I've noticed this works well when the two systems are of ample
    > signal strength.
    >
    > But when one or other system does not have ample signal strength,
    > the
    > phone will go into analog mode.
    >
    > Case in point: eastern Culpeper county in Virginia is a transition
    > point between VZW (SIDs 18 & 170) and Alltel (SID 424). Often times
    > the phone will go on analog with maybe one bar of signal, then
    > finally
    > go into digital as I approach the town of Culpeper.
    >
    > I've also noticed sometimes when I travel (fly) into a town and turn
    > on my cell phone when I get off the plane that the phone will go
    > into analog mode and stay there, even though there is full signal.
    > Sometimes its been so bad that even cycling the power off and back
    > on
    > won't reset the phone and I had to remove the battery and put it
    > back
    > in so the phone would lock onto a digital signal (and this is was in
    > native VZW area too - the last time it occured was San Diego this
    > past August).
    >
    > Dave

    I had a Nokia 5185i that behaved like that. But both Audiovoxs ... no such
    weirdness.
    --

    - Philip

    Mike wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:41:31 -0500, Stanley Cline
    > <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:
    >

    >>It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >>those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >>etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    >>coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    >>different SID/system!
    >

    > In the one case cited earlier, on the Ohio/PA border along the
    > turnpike, it's a two-company transition...VZW's NE Ohio coverage
    > doesn't include the Youngstown/Warren, OH market, which is covered by
    > Alltel. That's the Ohio side of the handoff in question...the PA side
    > is VZW (and now VZW-alone) SID 32. Alltel gave up its part of SID 32
    > recently in PA/OH/WV in favor of SID 126.
    >
    > It's still in AC, of course, but it's a different company. I haven't
    > noticed such a transition, but I can't recall being in-call while
    > going through this area.

    Me neither. Coming from my parent's house in M.O.N.Tville, Ohio ("Middle of
    Nowhere Township") :) in Geauga County, Verizon is good in Geauga and Ashtabula
    counties, towards Route 11. Alltel coverage takes over in Trumbull, around
    maybe Route 5. Then you hop on I-80 and switch over Verizon coverage
    *literally* as you cross the PA line. :) But I've not been in-call to determine
    whether the handoff is smooth either.

    I don't think "privacy" works in any mode, unless supported by the
    carrier. Have never seen documentatiuon that any carrier did support it.

    "David L" <davlindi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    snip

    > Just remember, your calls and especially the incomming callers
    > content, are likely being overheard by third parties, while using
    > analog. -
    > David

    There is a setting (most cell phones?) called "voice security" or the like.
    This is supposed to make overhearing your phone call more difficult for
    eavesdroppers? Does it only work on digital?

    --

    - Philip

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:40:42 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Me neither. Coming from my parent's house in M.O.N.Tville, Ohio ("Middle of
    >Nowhere Township") :) in Geauga County, Verizon is good in Geauga and Ashtabula
    >counties, towards Route 11. Alltel coverage takes over in Trumbull, around
    >maybe Route 5. Then you hop on I-80 and switch over Verizon coverage
    >*literally* as you cross the PA line. :) But I've not been in-call to determine
    >whether the handoff is smooth either.

    I've watched the phone while crossing from VZW's Ohio/Michigan Super
    SID 21 into Alltel's 112, I think it is, from Portage County into
    Mahoning County along I-76. I have noticed at least when it comes to
    the phone's signal strength indicators that the transition is a lot
    smoother on my Motorola v710 than it was on my Nokia 5185i or my LG
    VX4400.

    I've also noticed that I'm now able to pick up VZW coverage about a
    mile or two inside the Mahoning County border.

    Mike

    This info is interesting but the thought suddenly occured... that you
    guys are taking complicated readings...while driving.
    Please be safe and make sure before your willing to bet your life on
    multitasking skills.

    I've been there, testing calls from Yosemite "down the grade" east to
    Lee Vining. Yes, you do get a pretty good intermitent signal at times.
    Wouldn't recommend making a call though. Though canyon road is
    beautiful and perilous...

    -
    David

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:54:22 -0500, Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:41:31 -0500, Stanley Cline
    ><sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:59:48 GMT, David S
    >><dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I mainly find that I go to analog in the transition areas between different
    >>>markets. For example, between Michigan City and South Bend, IN, and between
    >>>Joliet and Ottawa, IL. I observed similar phenomena on my trip from Chicago
    >>>to Baltimore last summer; the area that I can remember offhand was the
    >>>transition between the OH and PA Turnpikes, and there were others.
    >>
    >>It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >>those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >>etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    >>coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    >>different SID/system!
    >
    >I've noticed this works well when the two systems are of ample signal
    >strength.
    >
    >But when one or other system does not have ample signal strength, the
    >phone will go into analog mode.

    Let me give another, contrasting, example: on I-88, the phone will bounce
    back and forth for a few minutes between two different SIDs between Aurora
    and DeKalb, but it does not (IIRC) go to analog.

    In the case of the Joliet-Ottawa example, I believe that west of Joliet is
    not native VZW but Illinois Valley Cellular (but I'm not sure of that). Two
    years ago, my VZW phone was on analog on I-80 all the way to the turnoff
    for Peoria, and a ways down that as well, until I actually entered the
    Peoria market.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Now that guys have decided to become seriously involved in Thanksgiving
    food preparation, it's only a matter of time before they come up with a
    recipe for mashed potatoes that involves a grenade launcher." - Dave Barry

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:40:42 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> chose
    to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >Mike wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:41:31 -0500, Stanley Cline
    >> <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It seems odd that VZW can't do proper CDMA intersystem handoffs in
    >>>those areas -- they do them just fine in north GA, TN, northern AL,
    >>>etc., including in one case (I-20 at the GA/AL state line) between 850
    >>>coverage from one SID/system and 1900 coverage from a completely
    >>>different SID/system!
    >>
    >> In the one case cited earlier, on the Ohio/PA border along the
    >> turnpike, it's a two-company transition...VZW's NE Ohio coverage
    >> doesn't include the Youngstown/Warren, OH market, which is covered by
    >> Alltel. That's the Ohio side of the handoff in question...the PA side
    >> is VZW (and now VZW-alone) SID 32. Alltel gave up its part of SID 32
    >> recently in PA/OH/WV in favor of SID 126.
    >>
    >> It's still in AC, of course, but it's a different company. I haven't
    >> noticed such a transition, but I can't recall being in-call while
    >> going through this area.
    >
    >Me neither. Coming from my parent's house in M.O.N.Tville, Ohio ("Middle of
    >Nowhere Township") :) in Geauga County, Verizon is good in Geauga and Ashtabula
    >counties, towards Route 11. Alltel coverage takes over in Trumbull, around
    >maybe Route 5. Then you hop on I-80 and switch over Verizon coverage
    >*literally* as you cross the PA line. :) But I've not been in-call to determine
    >whether the handoff is smooth either.

    Let me clarify: I wasn't in a call going through this area (or any of the
    others I mentioned). I was just paying close attention to my phone and
    making voice memos about what I observed.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "I don't ask questions, I just have fun!" - Bugs Bunny

    David S wrote:
    > Let me clarify: I wasn't in a call going through this area (or any of
    > the others I mentioned). I was just paying close attention to my
    > phone and
    > making voice memos about what I observed.

    And they say truck drivers do weird things to stay awake behind the wheel.
    LOL

    On 22 Dec 2004 23:25:19 -0800, "David L" <davlindi@hotmail.com> chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >This info is interesting but the thought suddenly occured... that you
    >guys are taking complicated readings...while driving.
    >Please be safe and make sure before your willing to bet your life on
    >multitasking skills.

    There were a few times when I would have liked to check the phone and make
    a note, but I couldn't because I thought it more important to drive.
    Especially on the PA Turnpike and the cutoff from it down to MD in the
    early morning fog (when I really shouldn't have been driving anyway).

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "He's gonna have to overcome quite a height disadvantage and, as you can
    see by that lack of stature, in terms of height, quite a height
    disadvantage as well." - Rich Marotta, describing a boxer on 'Prime
    Championship Boxing'

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 04:53:40 GMT, David S
    <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    >On 22 Dec 2004 23:25:19 -0800, "David L" <davlindi@hotmail.com> chose to
    >add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
    >
    >>This info is interesting but the thought suddenly occured... that you
    >>guys are taking complicated readings...while driving.
    >>Please be safe and make sure before your willing to bet your life on
    >>multitasking skills.
    >
    >There were a few times when I would have liked to check the phone and make
    >a note, but I couldn't because I thought it more important to drive.
    >Especially on the PA Turnpike and the cutoff from it down to MD in the
    >early morning fog (when I really shouldn't have been driving anyway).

    Gee, sounds like my trip on December 23rd on I-70 near Breezewood.

    Dave

Verizon Internet Service Providers