Do I have a virus?

I have been getting "application is not responding" messages lately. Also I
can't get the system to restore from any checkpoint. I recently tried to
install some digital camera software and then had trouble reading from the
camera and it's USB. I have run Norton Anti-virus from the program on the
computer and from the Symantec web site, each time being told I don't have a
virus, but the machine is acting up. Tonight I tried to install yet another
digital camera program for an upgraded camera and received a error message
of :

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.

The after I 'closed' the application I got another "This program is not
responding" message for ccAPP or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong? How I can fix it? Is it a
virus/trojan horse issue or just some corrupted files?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about virus

    Eric, here's some information regarding the autoexec.nt

    c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS
    and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate the application.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program

    Replace the standard version of autoexec.nt/config.nt by copying a backup copy
    located in %windir%\repair\ to %windir%\system32\
    (NB: %windir% is typically C:\Windows)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314106
    Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    "Eric" <smokycity@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I have been getting "application is not responding" messages lately. Also I can't
    >get the system to restore from any checkpoint. I recently tried to install some
    >digital camera software and then had trouble reading from the camera and it's USB.
    >I have run Norton Anti-virus from the program on the computer and from the Symantec
    >web site, each time being told I don't have a virus, but the machine is acting up.
    >Tonight I tried to install yet another digital camera program for an upgraded
    >camera and received a error message of :
    >
    > 16 bit Windows Subsystem
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >
    > The after I 'closed' the application I got another "This program is not responding"
    > message for ccAPP or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong? How I can fix it? Is it a virus/trojan
    > horse issue or just some corrupted files?
    >
    > Thanks.

Windows XP