partitions

Hi there
I have just purchased a new dell computer it has a 140gb hard drive I would
like to partition this but unsure whether I have to reformat the whole drive
then have to reload windows. can anybody help please

Sue
4 answers Last reply
More about partitions

    Windows cannot repartition a disk. You'd have to erase your hard disk and
    start from scratch - a waste of time. This is better:

    Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    Ted Zieglar

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > Windows cannot repartition a disk. You'd have to erase your hard disk
    > and start from scratch - a waste of time. This is better:
    >
    > Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    Ted is correct - you either have to redo the partition scheme (with your
    Boot CD) and start over from scratch or use a third-party utility like
    Partition Magic.

    I have to ask - why are you wanting to partition it?

    If for separation of data and operating system/applications - might I
    suggest just buying a second hard drive and putting it in. There are still
    many deals for 160GB Seagate drives for under $70 after rebates.
    (www.dealsites.net)

    Not only that, if your thinking was along the lines of more performance out
    of partitioning, you would get more of a performance increase out of a
    second drive and proper configurations - more than you would from a single
    drive ATA system.

    If you still want to resize your given partitions, you could use Partition
    Magic ($69.95) ( http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/ ) or many other
    partition manager applications. You could look into Ranish Partition
    Manager (Free) ( http://www.ranish.com/part/ ) or 7Tools Partition Manager
    ($29.95) ( http://www.7tools.de/pm/index.htm ) or Zeleps Partition Resizer
    (Can only MOVE NTFS partitions - so may not work for you) (Free) (
    http://zeleps.com/ ) - there are many others - use Google!

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > Windows cannot repartition a disk. You'd have to erase your hard disk
    > and start from scratch - a waste of time. This is better:
    >
    > Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    > http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi there
    >> I have just purchased a new dell computer it has a 140gb hard drive I
    >> would
    >> like to partition this but unsure whether I have to reformat the whole
    >> drive
    >> then have to reload windows. can anybody help please
    >>
    >> Sue

    While we are on the subject of partitions....
    I've been looking for a new, bigger hard drive for my computer. I was
    looking at the Seagate 160 GB drives but I read some information about
    older systems not being able to handle drives that big. One source said
    that both the operating system and the BIOS have to be able to handle
    the drive or the computer may write over part of the operating system so
    that you can't start windows. It wasn't clear if that only happens after
    the drive is nearly full of if that can happen early on.
    This computer is now 4 years old so I started looking at 120 GB drives
    to avoid the problem. I didn't purchase yet. Now I'm wondering if
    partitioning the new 160 drive would make the problem go away (if it
    ever existed in the first place).
    Years ago I placed a 2nd drive in my first computer. The new drive was
    5.2 GB and had to be partitioned into 4 parts! Times have changed. That
    drive came with software to do the partitioning. I wonder if a new
    Seagate drive comes with such software in anticipation of the same problem?

    Steve

    user@domain.invalid wrote:

    > Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >
    >> Windows cannot repartition a disk. You'd have to erase your hard disk
    >> and start from scratch - a waste of time. This is better:
    >>
    >> Norton Partition Magic 8.0
    >> http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Sue Davies" <susan.davies1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi there
    >>> I have just purchased a new dell computer it has a 140gb hard drive I
    >>> would
    >>> like to partition this but unsure whether I have to reformat the
    >>> whole drive
    >>> then have to reload windows. can anybody help please
    >>>
    >>> Sue
    >

    > While we are on the subject of partitions....
    > I've been looking for a new, bigger hard drive for my computer. I was
    > looking at the Seagate 160 GB drives but I read some information about
    > older systems not being able to handle drives that big. One source said
    > that both the operating system and the BIOS have to be able to handle
    > the drive or the computer may write over part of the operating system so
    > that you can't start windows. It wasn't clear if that only happens after
    > the drive is nearly full of if that can happen early on.
    > This computer is now 4 years old so I started looking at 120 GB drives
    > to avoid the problem. I didn't purchase yet. Now I'm wondering if
    > partitioning the new 160 drive would make the problem go away (if it
    > ever existed in the first place).
    > Years ago I placed a 2nd drive in my first computer. The new drive was
    > 5.2 GB and had to be partitioned into 4 parts! Times have changed. That
    > drive came with software to do the partitioning. I wonder if a new
    > Seagate drive comes with such software in anticipation of the same problem?
    >
    > Steve

    By the way, sorry I replied to such an old post. I looked too quick and
    thought it was a month newer than it was. I also don't know where this
    return address came from. I have never used that anywhere. Since I don't
    usually use my real address on newsgroups, I guess I'll leave it.

    Steve

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP