Who else has managed to wait till for a new PC?!!!

G

I did! I was so very tempted to buy and put together a PC back in the summer. But I waited. And I'm guessing now is a good time to buy with all the computer manufactures putting out there stuff for Christmas. Am I wrong?

Anyway, for those of you putting or thinking of putting a system together, what components are you getting (mobo,cpu,soundcard,ram,HD,etc.)?

Can anyone reccommend some good components for a 'music' computer. I haven't kept up with the new stuff coming out for about a month. I was hoping you guys could fill me in and maybe give me some suggestions on a 'music' computer. Good luck to ya all!

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
music computer? Do you want to listen to it, cause if so just download winamp, throw a couple speakers on the computer your on and listen..but im guessing your going to rip cd's or create music?? I can only suggest either the sound blaster audigy platinum or the hercules sound card..forgot the name of it

as for cpu/mobo..amd athlon XP 1900+ on a Abit KR7 Raid

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Hehe, I know the feeling, I've been sittin on the cash since September. Here's what I'm lookin at:

Antec 1030B w/Enermax 340W upgrade
Athlon 1600+ or 1700+ (depending on prices when I order)
Thermaltake Volcano 7 (6Cu if i can't find it)
256MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Maxtor D740X 40GB (maybe the 60 if the price drops a bit more)
GeForce3 Ti200 (maybe 8500 if drivers appear)
Lite-On LTD163
Samsung 700IFT Black
Altec Lansing ATP5
Logitech's Wireless Optical Mouse/Keyboard
Windows XP (not sure whether to get Home or Pro)
and now the reason I haven't bought it yet, the mobo:
nForce (not MSI or Asus it would seem though)
or
Shuttle AK31A w/SB Audigy XGamer

Either way it looks like it'll come out to $1400, which is $400 more than I planned on, but that money will be well invested in parts that don't get replaced much (keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor, case) so it's well spent. If anyone has any comments on the parts I'd love to hear em, especially on XP Home vs. Pro, the speakers (can't find em around here to listen to, but Altecs are usually good), or the 8500 vs Ti200 issue (or atleast some info about Ti200 manufacturers), although I know I can find a lot of that in the Graphics Card forum. Now to just hold my itchy mouse finger a couple more weeks..

Me "I bought a TNT2 M64, the BIOS says its a Vanta"
IOMagic "Theyre the same card"
Me "Um, no"

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Platinum eX would be better, and the Hercules Game Theatre XP is the one you mean I think.

Me "Um, no"

G

Not to many differences between XP Pro and Home. Pro is dual processor support, but you aren't goin dual. There are a few networking options and not a whole lot more. If $ is already tight, I'd go w/ home edition. Also if you already have a windows OS make sure you buy the upgrade (save much money), Also don't know what you do, but if you are a student or are in the education field, they make a educational upgrade for even less. Look around for that stuff, I've found places in the U.S. with educational Upgrades for XP Pro for about 90 dollars. Just somthing to look into.

G

Hello,

I am building my first computer. I am sitting here with an empty case - power supply and 3 fans - wondering what in the world I do now. The Power Supply is Enermax 330W. Is that strong enough for the "athlon XP 1900+ on a Abit KR7 Raid?"

Thanks much,

Carol Parent

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
330w is ample.

currently en route to my flat/apartment:
AMD XP 1600+
2* 256mb PC2100 DDR
GA-7VTXH mobo - KT266A chipset
- LAN onboard
- Creative CT5880 sound onboard (SB Live?)
Seagate Barracuda 40gb (plus 2.5gb Fireball from old comp)
Creative GeForce3 Ti 200 64mb DDR
ThermalTake Dragon Orb Low-Noise HSF
Elsa Fun USB 56k v92 modem
Creative x52 CDROM (from old comp)
300w case
17" Hansol
Win98se - for now.

[edit: for £740, tho that doesnt include the CDROM, keyb, mouse, speakers, extra 2.5gb HDD (for swapfile and file backup) and Win98se as thats all from old comp]

Probably a CDRW (maybe with DVD combo) at christmas or when student loan comes in. Currently looking at Lite-on 40x16x10. Might upgrade the sound then too, though im not too fussed about sound.

getting a little irritated as the gf3ti200 has been taking ages to arrive at dabs.co.uk, though i cant find anywhere else in uk with one except the Elsa card thats £35+ more... i suppose i'll be waiting :(

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/09/01 03:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
It's those networking options giving me the headache, not sure if it's worth 50$ for the likely limited use I'd receive from them. I don't have an OS sittin around unfortunately, RPI only gives usage licenses, not media, so no upgrade for me. Maybe I'll get the educational upgrade for my laptop though, it'd be nice to not reboot it every 3 hours. Then again BSD will be running on it as soon as I get my new computer set up, so why waste the money? ;)

Me "Um, no"