auto defrag

Hi
I'm not sure how it got activated but whenever I leave my PC idle for about
5 mins the hard disk starts defragmenting in the backround. I know this
because I've called up the Task Manager and can see defrag.exe running in the
list.
How can I turn this automatic defragmenting off? I've looked in scheduled
tasks etc but cannot find it anywhere.
It's strange that it has only been apparent for a couple of weeks, before
that it did not occur.
It's not a massive problem or anything - I'd just like to know how to turn
it off.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about auto defrag

    That's Windows XP doing partial defragmentation in the background. It's for
    your benefit - you don't want to stop it. It doesn't get in the way of
    anything you do with your computer, and it won't slow it down.

    Put another way: If your hardware is so old that XP's background defrags are
    hurting your performance, it's time for a new computer!

    Ted Zieglar

    "Panzer_Dan" <Panzer_Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I'm not sure how it got activated but whenever I leave my PC idle for
    > about
    > 5 mins the hard disk starts defragmenting in the backround. I know this
    > because I've called up the Task Manager and can see defrag.exe running in
    > the
    > list.
    > How can I turn this automatic defragmenting off? I've looked in scheduled
    > tasks etc but cannot find it anywhere.
    > It's strange that it has only been apparent for a couple of weeks, before
    > that it did not occur.
    > It's not a massive problem or anything - I'd just like to know how to turn
    > it off.
    >
    > Thanks

    This is part of the Prefetching process. Prefetching is a good thing.

    Optimizing Startup Times by Using Defragmentation Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_uutk.asp

    Idle Task Scheduling: The ProcessIdleTask API
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx#EDAA

    Hard Disks Do Not Turn Off After Your Computer Has Been Idle
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/Q313300

    This command, typed in a command prompt, forces the optimization:
    Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

    If the disk is NTFS, defrag.exe and dfrgntfs.exe run.
    ----

    I don't know why you'd want to turn it off.

    To turn it off you need TweakUI or you have to adjust a setting in the
    registry.

    TweakUI
    [+] General
    Unselect: ? Optimize hard disk when idle

    Optimize hard disk when idle
    [[This allows Windows to rearrange files on the hard disk when the computer
    is not in use to improve performance. This is a system wide setting which
    requires a restart for changes to take effect.]]
    ----

    Download TweakUI here >>>

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    ----

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    Management\PrefetchParameters

    Values for EnablePrefetcher are:
    0 - no prefetch
    1 - prefetch applications only
    2 - prefetch boot only
    3 - prefetch both applications & boot (default)

    How to Disable the Prefetcher Component in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307498

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:A55FB90E-F335-44D8-ADEC-1152E409BE29@microsoft.com,
    Panzer_Dan <Panzer_Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi
    > I'm not sure how it got activated but whenever I leave my PC idle for
    > about 5 mins the hard disk starts defragmenting in the backround. I
    > know this because I've called up the Task Manager and can see
    > defrag.exe running in the list.
    > How can I turn this automatic defragmenting off? I've looked in
    > scheduled tasks etc but cannot find it anywhere.
    > It's strange that it has only been apparent for a couple of weeks,
    > before that it did not occur.
    > It's not a massive problem or anything - I'd just like to know how to
    > turn it off.
    >
    > Thanks

Defragment Windows XP