Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter Model: HWU54D

This USB 2.0 54G adapter seems to get rave reviews for speed and range,
partially because it has a 6dbi antenna built into the design. Supposed to
have horrible documentation and web site is mediocre. But the hardware is
claimed to be first rate.

Any recommendations from real users?

http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=208

http://reviews.cnet.com/Hawking_HWU54D_high_gain_USB_wireless_G_adapter/4505-3380_7-30825857-2.html?tag=top
6 answers Last reply
More about hawking gain wireless adapter model hwu54d

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:43:43 GMT, "Gary" <GParent@rocketmail.com>
    wrote:

    >This USB 2.0 54G adapter seems to get rave reviews for speed and range,
    >partially because it has a 6dbi antenna built into the design. Supposed to
    >have horrible documentation and web site is mediocre. But the hardware is
    >claimed to be first rate.
    >
    >Any recommendations from real users?
    >

    >http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=208
    >
    >http://reviews.cnet.com/Hawking_HWU54D_high_gain_USB_wireless_G_adapter/4505-3380_7-30825857-2.html?tag=top

    The only difficulty I've had is with cloaked networks. The HWU54D
    has some trouble maintaining the connection if the AP is not
    broadcasting the network SSID. It doesn't seem to matter whether you
    use the Hawking provided software or WZC so I'm guessing the problem
    is in the driver.

    I spoke to Hawking about the SSID issue, but I got no indication that
    they would fix it ... cloaking the SSID is non compliant with the WiFi
    standard so Hawking technically doesn't have to support it as a mode
    of operation.

    Apart from that, I'd say the product is excellent. At the beach where
    the airwaves were quiet, I was able to leach off an open 54G network
    from over 2/3 mile at 11b speeds. In my very noisy neighborhood where
    I am surrounded by a dozen other wireless networks, its effective
    range is still about 500 feet.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

    That's phenomenal. Would you say the unit can maintain a connection and is
    fairy free of drop-outs?

    Also, regards the SSID issue, have you played with settings on your client?

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:24:40 GMT, "Gary" <GParent@rocketmail.com>
    wrote:

    >That's phenomenal. Would you say the unit can maintain a connection and is
    >fairy free of drop-outs?

    Apart from the cloaking issue (see below), the unit has worked
    flawlessly for me. I have knowingly used it with Netgear, Linksys,
    Belkin and Cisco APs.

    It has no problem with either flavor of WEP. I have not tried it
    with WPA and the Hawking provided Envara software (at least the
    version I have) does not support WPA. However you can ignore it and
    use WZC instead.

    >Also, regards the SSID issue, have you played with settings on your client?

    I have never seen a cloaked network in the wild ... I only discovered
    the SSID thing because I am an engineer and I had a new toy. I tested
    it in various configurations with my own Netgear equipment and then on
    a friend's Linksys gear. I didn't try cloaking without WEP as I
    figured that was a pointless combination that I would never run into,
    but I did try both flavors of WEP. In every case the HWU54D worked
    flawlessly as long as SSID broadcast was on and acted up if it was
    off.

    When the network is cloaked the unit repeatedly loses and regains the
    association. It works fine for a couple of minutes, disconnects,
    reconnects and then repeats the cycle again a couple minutes later.

    This sounds a lot like either (A) unwanted beacon scanning, or (B)
    failed 802.11 authentication, but it is neither. I don't let my
    system scan normally ... I have multiple net profiles, one for
    scanning open networks and one for each closed network I use. Each
    closed profile is configured for a single prefered network so there is
    no scanning once connected. I have 802.11 authentication disabled in
    every profile because it's meaningless for an open network and none of
    the closed networks I deal with use it. Also, both scanning and
    authentication will afflict any connection and this only happens if
    the network is cloaked.

    I have Netgear (WG511T) and Linksys (WPC11) cards in addition to the
    HWU54D. I have run them simultaneously with the Hawking unit and
    neither card has any difficulty with cloaking (though it seems to
    limit their range somewhat). The cards continue to work fine while
    the Hawking goes into fits. Since all of them are configured the same
    and only the Hawking has difficulty, I have to assume it's at fault
    .... it's difficult to account for the difference in behavior
    otherwise.

    That said,

    I don't think the HWU54D's difficulty with cloaking is a real problem
    in practice ... I just reported it because you asked about warts and I
    have no knowledge of your intended use ... it might be an issue for
    you.

    WRT more conventional use, cloaking is a questionable security measure
    and is not compliant with the WiFi standard. If I were to run into
    the problem in a legitimate circumstance, I would have a chat with the
    network administrator.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 07:08:46 -0500, George Neuner
    <gneuner2/@comcast.net> wrote:

    >When the network is cloaked the unit repeatedly loses and regains the
    >association. It works fine for a couple of minutes, disconnects,
    >reconnects and then repeats the cycle again a couple minutes later.

    Very nice job of testing.

    This is a stretch but it kinda sounds like 802.1x authentication is
    running and failing when it tries to regularly re-authenticate.
    If you're using Windoze XP and either WEP or no encryption, try
    turning off 802.1x authentication, and see if it helps.
    Control Panel -> Networks -> Wireless Devices ->
    Properties -> Authentication
    With WPA, 802.1x authentication is required and cannot be disabled.

    I haven't played with the Hawking HWU54D. I like the general concept
    of supplying a directional antenna on a USB radio instead of the
    traditional and inferior omnidirectional antenna. I've tried to push
    various companies in this direction for about 3 years without success.
    Even the ubiquitous Pringles and coffee can modifications to produce a
    directional device has not gotten much attention from the
    manufacturers. Although I have some trivial reservations about the
    Hawking packaging, the concept is excellent. If successful, I
    seriously expect other products to follow the concept and supply
    devices similar to the more expensive USB-Ant:
    http://www.ydi.com/products/usb-ant.php
    where the radio is intergrated with a directional antenna.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:33:32 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 07:08:46 -0500, George Neuner
    ><gneuner2/@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>When the network is cloaked the unit repeatedly loses and regains the
    >>association. It works fine for a couple of minutes, disconnects,
    >>reconnects and then repeats the cycle again a couple minutes later.
    >
    >Very nice job of testing.
    >
    >This is a stretch but it kinda sounds like 802.1x authentication is
    >running and failing when it tries to regularly re-authenticate.
    >If you're using Windoze XP and either WEP or no encryption, try
    >turning off 802.1x authentication, and see if it helps.
    > Control Panel -> Networks -> Wireless Devices ->
    > Properties -> Authentication
    >With WPA, 802.1x authentication is required and cannot be disabled.

    If authentication is active then I don't know how to turn it off. It
    is disabled everywhere in the connection property pages. If that
    doesn't actually turn it off ...

    And like I said ... this only happens with the Hawking device, not
    with my Netgear or Linksys cards. And it only happens when SSID
    broadcast is disabled on the AP.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

    > If you're using Windoze XP and either WEP or no encryption, try
    > turning off 802.1x authentication, and see if it helps.

    Windows XP SP2 network connection properties wireless networks
    Authentication panel says: "IEEE 802.1x authentication can not operate on
    peer to peer (ad hoc) networks or on networks for which data encryption is
    disabled."

    It is grayed out on a non-encrypted profile. Maybe that is an improvement
    with SP2.

    ---

Wireless USB Wireless Networking