BF3 FPS makes me sad..

firexxattxx

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
When BF3 launched, my computer couldnt run it on low, it was stuttering and lagging and I couldn't play at all. Normally it would be around 20 frames on low settings at 1920x1080. Then when I overclocked my gpu to 850 and 1000 mhz, and overclocked my cpu up to 5% ( I don't know how to overclock, so to play it save i kept it like that in the bios) and BF3 ran great! Most of the time it was 30-50 frames, and I was so happy that I can now actually play BF3. I even can play it around low/medium settings. Then today everything went downhill. I started my computer, ran BF3 and everything went to 20 frames. I don't know what happened.
Anyone please help me so that I can make BF3 playable again?

Specs are down here:

5850 sapphire xtreme 850 core/1000 mhz

AMD phenom ii x2 545 3.16 mhz (stock cooler)

4gb ddr3 ram

ASUS m4n68t-m v2

1920x1080 monitor

500 gb hdd

585 power supply

Also another thing, I'm wondering about my case's airflow. It has a big and huge 200mm intake fan, but no exhaust fan. Will it affect my case's airflow?

Please help me. I don't want to wait for months to buy a new PC and play BF3 again.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

There's really no significant boost in performance when you upgrade the CPU for BF3. A dual-core and a quad core perform practically the same in BF3.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hmm...

You should be doing better than that. You should be able to play it on at least medium with a 5850. My laptop has a mobile 5870 in it (the mobile 5870 is based on the 5770/5850) and I can run it on medium with 1600x900 with ease.

I know people are going to say I am crazy, but I think you need to grab some more memory. And upgrade your CPU.

But for starters, listen...

Go into your CCC and set all of the sliders on performance. Override application settings to performance. Turn off edge-detect - in fact, don't even think about using AA or AF in that game. It is a colossal waste of resources.

firexxattxx

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

I'm a bit confused on which sliders to do. Can you give me a step by step? Also, will this make my GPU more hot? It's already idles at 40 C

AbdullahG

Distinguished

All of the slides in Gaming. This includes anti-aliasing, tessellation, Catalyst A.I, and all the rest.

bertrob

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
The cpu benchmarks were done in singleplayer, which is a lot less stressful on the cpu compared to multiplayer. If the Phenom x2 560 is reaching that high utilization in singleplayer, then there is no doubt it would be a massive bottleneck in multiplayer, especially 64-player maps.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
From what I have read, the CPU matters very little with regards to BF3. I don't know about your specific cpu (it could be total garbage) but if it's anywhere in the same league as your GPU then don't even bother overclocking it. The GPU is a whole different story.

Turn down your settings and resolution first off. Second, BF3 released a patch today so that could be messing with things a bit. Make sure you have the latest BIOS updates too (both Mobo and gpu).

firexxattxx

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Its right there on the thread. Its a AMD phenom x2 545..

cbrunnem

Distinguished

your cpu is slow which makes sense when you lower the details thus putting more load on your cpu. there are still frames to be gained for a 3.5 ghz x4. sorry if it hurts but your cpu is becoming a paper weight

AbdullahG

Distinguished
There's really no performance boost in BF3 when going from a decent dual core to a quad core:
CPU_03.png

I'm really not sure what the issue is. I know this step is quite obvious and probably done already, but just run Driver Sweep (Guru3D has instructions on how to use it) and then re-install drivers.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
thats a bad comparison to use.

thats obviously at a resolution and graphics setting that puts a lot more stress on the gpu. Add lower resolution and a gpu that cant handle high settings and your putting more stress on the cpu. the cpu is proven weak by the OP by lower the resolution and settings and not gaining fps. if his cpu was strong enough his fps would have increased.

i get about 200 fps with an overclocked 6950 and 2600k at low settings and the gpu usage is about 80 so its obviously a cpu bottleneck but my cpu has the power to put out those numbers over about 45 fps at ultra where the cpu doesnt have to work as fast.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

The OP runs the game at 1900x1080, so the CPU may not be an issue, as the game is primarily GPU driven. I don't see how the CPU is the issue when he had 30 to 50 FPS original, but then it suddenly dropped to 20FPS one day. If he believes the CPU is an issue, then he can go ahead and upgrade. I'm not saying it's unfeasible for the CPU to be the issue, but what explanation is there for his sudden frames drop?

@OP What are your results for singleplayer?