HELP WITH CHKDSK!!! PLEASE!!!!

When I start up or load different things on my comp at the bottom in the tray
it says "The file of directory C://blahblah/blahblah is corrupt and
unreadable, run the Chkdsk utility." So I go to Chkdsk and start it but when
I run it it says "Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter". Can someone
tell me what this means and what I can do to change it? I'm sick of my
computer deleting all my files and saying they're "UNREADABLE". It's very
important so can someone plz help me?
3 answers Last reply
More about help chkdsk please

    You bet it's important: Sounds like you're having serious disk trouble.

    First, when you run chkdsk from the command line without any parameters, it
    operates in 'read only' mode. That means it will tell you if there are
    problems, but it won't fix them.

    To run error checking and fix the problems, you need to include the correct
    parameters. Easiest way to go is: Open My Computer, right-click on the drive
    to check and select Properties; choose the Tools tab and then click on Check
    Now. Put a tickmark in both boxes then click OK. Restart your computer if it
    tells you to.

    If you're getting lots of errors your hard disk may be dying. Go to the web
    site of your hard disk manufacturer and run their diagnostics. If the disk
    is damaged get it replaced immediately. Meanwhile, backup often in case the
    disk goes before you install its replacement.

    Ted Zieglar

    "QUEEN__Laurz" <QUEEN__Laurz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I start up or load different things on my comp at the bottom in the
    > tray
    > it says "The file of directory C://blahblah/blahblah is corrupt and
    > unreadable, run the Chkdsk utility." So I go to Chkdsk and start it but
    > when
    > I run it it says "Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
    > because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter". Can someone
    > tell me what this means and what I can do to change it? I'm sick of my
    > computer deleting all my files and saying they're "UNREADABLE". It's very
    > important so can someone plz help me?

    start>run>chkdsk /f
    answer yes and yes again and reboot.

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:25:52 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >That means it will tell you if there are
    >problems, but it won't fix them.

    This isn't reliable. I've had errors reported in read mode, and none
    when doing chkdsk /f.
    --
    Cheers,

    Guy