Re-formatting Hard Drive????

A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after working
on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum system
requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original OS.
It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it back
to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb ram.
Is this possible?
2 answers Last reply
More about formatting hard drive

    How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867

    1. Delete the Windows XP partition.
    2. Create a new partition.
    3. Format the new partition FAT32.
    4. Install your desired Operating System.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Teri" wrote:

    | A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after working
    | on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
    | upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum system
    | requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original OS.
    | It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it back
    | to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb ram.
    | Is this possible?

    Hi Teri,

    In addition to the information provided in the links supplied by Carey, you
    will need to delete the Non-DOS partition (where XP currently resides) prior
    to creating a Primary DOS partition (Steps 4 and 5 of "How to Partition and
    Format a Master Hard Disk" in the second link provided by Carey). To do
    that, when you get to Step 3, press 3 to select Delete partition or Logical
    DOS Drive, then press 4 to select Delete Non-DOS partition.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661
    >
    > How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    > Repartition a Hard Disk
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867
    >
    > 1. Delete the Windows XP partition.
    > 2. Create a new partition.
    > 3. Format the new partition FAT32.
    > 4. Install your desired Operating System.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    -----

    > "Teri" wrote:
    >
    > | A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after
    working
    > | on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
    > | upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum
    system
    > | requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original
    OS.
    > | It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it
    back
    > | to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb
    ram.
    > | Is this possible?

Hard Drives Windows XP