Re-formatting Hard Drive????

A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after working
on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum system
requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original OS.
It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it back
to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb ram.
Is this possible?

How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867

1. Delete the Windows XP partition.
2. Create a new partition.
3. Format the new partition FAT32.
4. Install your desired Operating System.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Teri" wrote:

| A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after working
| on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
| upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum system
| requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original OS.
| It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it back
| to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb ram.
| Is this possible?

Hi Teri,

In addition to the information provided in the links supplied by Carey, you
will need to delete the Non-DOS partition (where XP currently resides) prior
to creating a Primary DOS partition (Steps 4 and 5 of "How to Partition and
Format a Master Hard Disk" in the second link provided by Carey). To do
that, when you get to Step 3, press 3 to select Delete partition or Logical
DOS Drive, then press 4 to select Delete Non-DOS partition.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

> How to Uninstall Windows XP and Revert to a Previous Operating System
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303661
>
> How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
> Repartition a Hard Disk
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;255867
>
> 1. Delete the Windows XP partition.
> 2. Create a new partition.
> 3. Format the new partition FAT32.
> 4. Install your desired Operating System.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

-----

> "Teri" wrote:
>
> | A friend gave me a computer (HP) that was no longer working and after
working
> | on it and getting it to run again I see that it has been formatted and
> | upgraded to XP Home Edition from Windows 98SE. It has the minimum
system
> | requirements to run XP and I would like to take it back to the original
OS.
> | It was formatted using the NTFS file system and I would like to take it
back
> | to Fat32. It is only a 8gb hard drive with 4.77gb free and only 64 mb
ram.
> | Is this possible?

TRENDING THREADS