I have XP Pro SP2 :

When I search for files in Windows Explorer, I go to the search window. I
happen to click on change preferences and saw an option "With or Without
Indexing". I also noticed when I right click on the hard drive (C) and go
to properties there is an option on the General Tab to turn on/off Indexing
there also. My question is this: All this time I had the "C" drive
properties Indexing "On", but the search preferences was off. To have
Indexing work properly does both need to be turned on??? Are these one in
the same?

MarkC

Indexing Service
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_gglv.asp

Using Indexing Service
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_idx_srv_mgmt.mspx

Using Indexing Service
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rrlj.asp

HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308202

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23AX5r673EHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have XP Pro SP2 :
>
> When I search for files in Windows Explorer, I go to the search
> window. I happen to click on change preferences and saw an option
> "With or Without Indexing". I also noticed when I right click on the
> hard drive (C) and go to properties there is an option on the General
> Tab to turn on/off Indexing there also. My question is this: All
> this time I had the "C" drive properties Indexing "On", but the
> search preferences was off. To have Indexing work properly does both
> need to be turned on??? Are these one in the same?
>
> MarkC

Thanks for all the URLs on Indexing, a wealth of information. Although I
went to each site and read the information, I could have overlooked it. I
did not find any info if the Disk Properties General Tab Indexing is related
in some way to the search Indexing??? Great information learned a lot.
Mark

> Indexing Service
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_gglv.asp
>
> Using Indexing Service
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_idx_srv_mgmt.mspx
>
> Using Indexing Service
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rrlj.asp
>
> HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308202
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:%23AX5r673EHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I have XP Pro SP2 :
>>
>> When I search for files in Windows Explorer, I go to the search
>> window. I happen to click on change preferences and saw an option
>> "With or Without Indexing". I also noticed when I right click on the
>> hard drive (C) and go to properties there is an option on the General
>> Tab to turn on/off Indexing there also. My question is this: All
>> this time I had the "C" drive properties Indexing "On", but the
>> search preferences was off. To have Indexing work properly does both
>> need to be turned on??? Are these one in the same?
>>
>> MarkC

Mark,

[[Indexing Service is an optional operating system component. Initial
indexing of file system contents can be resource intensive and can affect
desktop application performance. Therefore, Indexing Service is not enabled
by default.]]

Disk Properties
? Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching
[[Specifies that the contents of the drive be indexed, which improves the
speed of your searches. Indexing enables you to search for information such
as text in the document, or properties, such as creation date, of the
document.
The entire contents of the drive are not indexed unless you elect to index
files and subfolders when prompted.]]

Most folks want to disable the Indexing Service.

Start | Run | Type or paste: C:\WINDOWS\Help\is.chm | OK |

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:O11ANaH4EHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks for all the URLs on Indexing, a wealth of information.
> Although I went to each site and read the information, I could have
> overlooked it. I did not find any info if the Disk Properties
> General Tab Indexing is related in some way to the search Indexing???
> Great information learned a lot. Mark

>> Indexing Service

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_gglv.asp

>> Using Indexing Service

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_idx_srv_mgmt.mspx

>> Using Indexing Service

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rrlj.asp

>> HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308202
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23AX5r673EHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I have XP Pro SP2 :
>>>
>>> When I search for files in Windows Explorer, I go to the search
>>> window. I happen to click on change preferences and saw an option
>>> "With or Without Indexing". I also noticed when I right click on
>>> the hard drive (C) and go to properties there is an option on the
>>> General Tab to turn on/off Indexing there also. My question is
>>> this: All this time I had the "C" drive properties Indexing "On",
>>> but the search preferences was off. To have Indexing work properly
>>> does both need to be turned on??? Are these one in the same?
>>>
>>> MarkC

Since I been using it for the past week, I can hear the hard drive churning
more often now, and noticed starting up the computer takes a little longer.
I may try this for another week if I don't use it that much then I will turn
it off. To turn it off, I will need to turn both locations off, correct?
Uncheck the Indexing at the disk properties and change the search preference
to not use Indexing...

Mark

> Mark,
>
> [[Indexing Service is an optional operating system component. Initial
> indexing of file system contents can be resource intensive and can affect
> desktop application performance. Therefore, Indexing Service is not
> enabled
> by default.]]
>
> Disk Properties
> ? Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching
> [[Specifies that the contents of the drive be indexed, which improves the
> speed of your searches. Indexing enables you to search for information
> such
> as text in the document, or properties, such as creation date, of the
> document.
> The entire contents of the drive are not indexed unless you elect to index
> files and subfolders when prompted.]]
>
> Most folks want to disable the Indexing Service.
>
> Start | Run | Type or paste: C:\WINDOWS\Help\is.chm | OK |
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:O11ANaH4EHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Thanks for all the URLs on Indexing, a wealth of information.
>> Although I went to each site and read the information, I could have
>> overlooked it. I did not find any info if the Disk Properties
>> General Tab Indexing is related in some way to the search Indexing???
>> Great information learned a lot. Mark

>>> Indexing Service
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_gglv.asp
>>>
>>> Using Indexing Service
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/snap_idx_srv_mgmt.mspx
>>>
>>> Using Indexing Service
>>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rrlj.asp
>>>
>>> HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308202
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>> Wes
>>>
>>> In news:%23AX5r673EHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>>> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:

Mark,

For your reference.

Before disabling the Indexing Service, uninstall it via the Add or Remove
Programs Control Panel applet.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs |
Add/Remove Windows Components button on left hand side|
Scroll down to and UNCheck:? Indexing Service | Finish |
Close Add or Remove Programs

Turn off the Indexing Service.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Indexing Service |
Click the Stop button | In the Startup Type field,
select Disabled | Apply | OK
After you restart your machine it will stay disabled.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:e2YEtoM4EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,