Disk Cleanup

XP Pro SP2:

When I go to disk properties, on the General Tab there is a Disk Cleanup
button. I click on it and Disk Cleanup scans the drive which has a few
options that you can turn on/off depending on what you want cleaned-up. I
have Temporary Files checked. But for sometime now I always see 0 (zero)
displayed for the disk space it takes up. I viewed the Temporary folder
(the one in the Documents and Setting / (name_of_user) Local Settings / Temp
which have a lot of files stored there. What is this disk cleanup utility
looking for in the temporary folder to be on the cleanup list? Also is it
just files with the .tmp extension or all file types in the TEMP folder?

Thanks,

Mark C
3 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup

    [[Programs sometimes store temporary information in a Temp folder. Before a
    program quits, the program usually deletes this information. You can safely
    delete temporary files that have not been modified in over a week.]]

    7 days is the key here.

    All file types.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315246

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:uvmB4773EHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > XP Pro SP2:
    >
    > When I go to disk properties, on the General Tab there is a Disk
    > Cleanup button. I click on it and Disk Cleanup scans the drive which
    > has a few options that you can turn on/off depending on what you want
    > cleaned-up. I have Temporary Files checked. But for sometime now I
    > always see 0 (zero) displayed for the disk space it takes up. I
    > viewed the Temporary folder (the one in the Documents and Setting /
    > (name_of_user) Local Settings / Temp which have a lot of files stored
    > there. What is this disk cleanup utility looking for in the
    > temporary folder to be on the cleanup list? Also is it just files
    > with the .tmp extension or all file types in the TEMP folder?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark C

    Thanks for the reply Wesley, I will look into these URL's..
    Mark

    > [[Programs sometimes store temporary information in a Temp folder. Before
    > program quits, the program usually deletes this information. You can
    > safely
    > delete temporary files that have not been modified in over a week.]]
    >
    > 7 days is the key here.
    >
    > All file types.
    >
    > Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
    >
    > How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315246
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:uvmB4773EHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> XP Pro SP2:
    >>
    >> When I go to disk properties, on the General Tab there is a Disk
    >> Cleanup button. I click on it and Disk Cleanup scans the drive which
    >> has a few options that you can turn on/off depending on what you want
    >> cleaned-up. I have Temporary Files checked. But for sometime now I
    >> always see 0 (zero) displayed for the disk space it takes up. I
    >> viewed the Temporary folder (the one in the Documents and Setting /
    >> (name_of_user) Local Settings / Temp which have a lot of files stored
    >> there. What is this disk cleanup utility looking for in the
    >> temporary folder to be on the cleanup list? Also is it just files
    >> with the .tmp extension or all file types in the TEMP folder?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mark C

    Mark,

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:OytZqyC4EHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks for the reply Wesley, I will look into these URL's..
    > Mark

    >> [[Programs sometimes store temporary information in a Temp folder.
    >> Before a
    >> program quits, the program usually deletes this information. You can
    >> safely
    >> delete temporary files that have not been modified in over a week.]]
    >>
    >> 7 days is the key here.
    >>
    >> All file types.
    >>
    >> Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
    >>
    >> How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315246
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >> Wes
    >>
    >> In news:uvmB4773EHA.1976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    >> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> XP Pro SP2:
    >>>
    >>> When I go to disk properties, on the General Tab there is a Disk
    >>> Cleanup button. I click on it and Disk Cleanup scans the drive
    >>> which has a few options that you can turn on/off depending on what
    >>> you want cleaned-up. I have Temporary Files checked. But for
    >>> sometime now I always see 0 (zero) displayed for the disk space it
    >>> takes up. I viewed the Temporary folder (the one in the Documents
    >>> and Setting / (name_of_user) Local Settings / Temp which have a lot
    >>> of files stored there. What is this disk cleanup utility looking
    >>> for in the temporary folder to be on the cleanup list? Also is it
    >>> just files with the .tmp extension or all file types in the TEMP
    >>> folder?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Mark C

Disk Cleanup Microsoft Windows XP