Floppy Drives

XP PRO SP2: (Maybe reading my other recent posts you all know what I have
by now)...

When I right click on the hard drive and click manage and go to Disk
Management, the main internal "A" Floppy Drive doesn't show up, is that
normal? Is it possible to show it?

I also have a USB floppy drive, for some reason XP doesn't anchor the drive
letter "B" to it. It could be Drive "B", then when I log off and log on
again it could be "F" or "G". There are no other drives taking the "B"
drive spot. Why does this keep changing? I went and asked this same
question with the maker of the drive and they said it's XP causing it. I
like to give the USB floppy drive a permanent drive letter of "B", is it
possible? I thought it could be done in the disk management utility but no
floppy drives are listed. By the way for extra information, I do not remove
the USB connection at anytime, the USB floppy drive stays connected.

Thanks,

MarkC
9 answers Last reply
More about floppy drives

    The floppy drives don't usually show up in disk management.
    Double click My computer to see them.
    You can access them through the Windows command prompt or thru the BIOS
    during bootup.

    "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > XP PRO SP2: (Maybe reading my other recent posts you all know what I have
    > by now)...
    >
    > When I right click on the hard drive and click manage and go to Disk
    > Management, the main internal "A" Floppy Drive doesn't show up, is that
    > normal? Is it possible to show it?
    >
    > I also have a USB floppy drive, for some reason XP doesn't anchor the
    > drive letter "B" to it. It could be Drive "B", then when I log off and
    > log on again it could be "F" or "G". There are no other drives taking the
    > "B" drive spot. Why does this keep changing? I went and asked this same
    > question with the maker of the drive and they said it's XP causing it. I
    > like to give the USB floppy drive a permanent drive letter of "B", is it
    > possible? I thought it could be done in the disk management utility but
    > no floppy drives are listed. By the way for extra information, I do not
    > remove the USB connection at anytime, the USB floppy drive stays
    > connected.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > MarkC

    Understand your explanation about the floppies not showing in disk
    management. Thanks...

    On the USB floppy, your saying I maybe able to assign a permanent drive
    letter "B" using the BIOS?
    Mark

    "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    > The floppy drives don't usually show up in disk management.
    > Double click My computer to see them.
    > You can access them through the Windows command prompt or thru the BIOS
    > during bootup.
    >
    > "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> XP PRO SP2: (Maybe reading my other recent posts you all know what I
    >> have by now)...
    >>
    >> When I right click on the hard drive and click manage and go to Disk
    >> Management, the main internal "A" Floppy Drive doesn't show up, is that
    >> normal? Is it possible to show it?
    >>
    >> I also have a USB floppy drive, for some reason XP doesn't anchor the
    >> drive letter "B" to it. It could be Drive "B", then when I log off and
    >> log on again it could be "F" or "G". There are no other drives taking
    >> the "B" drive spot. Why does this keep changing? I went and asked this
    >> same question with the maker of the drive and they said it's XP causing
    >> it. I like to give the USB floppy drive a permanent drive letter of "B",
    >> is it possible? I thought it could be done in the disk management
    >> utility but no floppy drives are listed. By the way for extra
    >> information, I do not remove the USB connection at anytime, the USB
    >> floppy drive stays connected.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> MarkC

    Not sure, depends on the BIOS.
    Jerry

    > Understand your explanation about the floppies not showing in disk
    > management. Thanks...
    >
    > On the USB floppy, your saying I maybe able to assign a permanent drive
    > letter "B" using the BIOS?
    > Mark
    >

    > "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> The floppy drives don't usually show up in disk management.
    >> Double click My computer to see them.
    >> You can access them through the Windows command prompt or thru the BIOS
    >> during bootup.
    >>
    >> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> XP PRO SP2: (Maybe reading my other recent posts you all know what I
    >>> have by now)...
    >>>
    >>> When I right click on the hard drive and click manage and go to Disk
    >>> Management, the main internal "A" Floppy Drive doesn't show up, is that
    >>> normal? Is it possible to show it?
    >>>
    >>> I also have a USB floppy drive, for some reason XP doesn't anchor the
    >>> drive letter "B" to it. It could be Drive "B", then when I log off and
    >>> log on again it could be "F" or "G". There are no other drives taking
    >>> the "B" drive spot. Why does this keep changing? I went and asked this
    >>> same question with the maker of the drive and they said it's XP causing
    >>> it. I like to give the USB floppy drive a permanent drive letter of
    >>> "B", is it possible? I thought it could be done in the disk management
    >>> utility but no floppy drives are listed. By the way for extra
    >>> information, I do not remove the USB connection at anytime, the USB
    >>> floppy drive stays connected.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> MarkC

    I checked the bios info and it looks like I can't. No other way?

    I wish I could just somehow get the USB floppy drive to use Drive "B" all
    the time...

    > Not sure, depends on the BIOS.
    > Jerry
    >
    > "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Understand your explanation about the floppies not showing in disk
    >> management. Thanks...
    >>
    >> On the USB floppy, your saying I maybe able to assign a permanent drive
    >> letter "B" using the BIOS?
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >>> The floppy drives don't usually show up in disk management.
    >>> Double click My computer to see them.
    >>> You can access them through the Windows command prompt or thru the BIOS
    >>> during bootup.
    >>>
    >>> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Mark, what letter does the system assign to the USB port floppy if you
    unplug the cable and reboot, putting the cable back in after Windows is up
    and running ?
    Check it by double clicking My Computer.

    >I checked the bios info and it looks like I can't. No other way?
    >
    > I wish I could just somehow get the USB floppy drive to use Drive "B" all
    > the time...
    >
    > Mark
    >

    > "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Not sure, depends on the BIOS.
    >> Jerry
    >>
    >> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Understand your explanation about the floppies not showing in disk
    >>> management. Thanks...
    >>>
    >>> On the USB floppy, your saying I maybe able to assign a permanent drive
    >>> letter "B" using the BIOS?
    >>> Mark
    >>>

    >>> "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message

    Floppy drives on the floppy controller cable will get the designation A &
    B.. the USB floppy drive is just seen as another removable drive..

    "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > XP PRO SP2: (Maybe reading my other recent posts you all know what I have
    > by now)...
    >
    > When I right click on the hard drive and click manage and go to Disk
    > Management, the main internal "A" Floppy Drive doesn't show up, is that
    > normal? Is it possible to show it?
    >
    > I also have a USB floppy drive, for some reason XP doesn't anchor the
    > drive letter "B" to it. It could be Drive "B", then when I log off and
    > log on again it could be "F" or "G". There are no other drives taking the
    > "B" drive spot. Why does this keep changing? I went and asked this same
    > question with the maker of the drive and they said it's XP causing it. I
    > like to give the USB floppy drive a permanent drive letter of "B", is it
    > possible? I thought it could be done in the disk management utility but
    > no floppy drives are listed. By the way for extra information, I do not
    > remove the USB connection at anytime, the USB floppy drive stays
    > connected.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > MarkC

    It assigns it drive "B". However, once I log off (not shutting down the
    computer) and later log on again, it will be drive "G". If another person
    logs on, it could be "H".
    A = Internal Floppy drive
    B = Unused, unless the USB floppy drive is assigned this at random.
    C = Hard drive
    D = DVD/Ram/R writable internal drive
    E = CD-R/RW writable internal drive
    F = DVD/DL writable external USB drive, stays "F", no change.
    G and H = Can either be the HP ALL-IN-ONE w/card reader slots as drives, or
    the USB floppy drive

    > Mark, what letter does the system assign to the USB port floppy if you
    > unplug the cable and reboot, putting the cable back in after Windows is up
    > and running ?
    > Check it by double clicking My Computer.
    >
    > "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I checked the bios info and it looks like I can't. No other way?
    >>
    >> I wish I could just somehow get the USB floppy drive to use Drive "B" all
    >> the time...
    >>
    >> Mark
    >>

    >> "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
    >>> Not sure, depends on the BIOS.
    >>> Jerry
    >>>
    >>> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message

    Sorry, Mark,
    No fix from here,

    Jerry

    > It assigns it drive "B". However, once I log off (not shutting down the
    > computer) and later log on again, it will be drive "G". If another person
    > logs on, it could be "H".
    <Snip>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestions and taking a stab at it.

    > Sorry, Mark,
    > No fix from here,
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> It assigns it drive "B". However, once I log off (not shutting down the
    >> computer) and later log on again, it will be drive "G". If another
    >> person logs on, it could be "H".
    > <Snip>

Floppy Disk Windows XP