Asus A7V133 compatibility & problems.Help!?

G

Hello there buyed a new A7V133 motherboard and thats when problems started occuring. First of all new athlon XP 1500 refused to work and had to underclock it get it work. Changed it to 1333 thunderbird and it works well. The problem Iam having now is that my old 3D card Radeon 64ddr vivo and new GF3 TI200 are having problems with D3D games like flashpoint and Red faction.

The problem is kinda hard to describe but ill try. The FPS are good in all games as you would expect with a rig like this:
Windows XP & ME , both have the same problem
Asus A7V133-c rev 1.05 with 1007 bios
athlon 1333 not overclocked with
512 pc133 memory
Elsa GF3 TI200 with .83 detonators, tryed different drivers no help
4.35 4-1 drivers
Fortissimo 2 soundcard

To the problem:
Like I said the FPS are greate, but the games suffer from stuttering which is not constant but example when Iam sliding sideways in red faction looking at wall with big poster in it. The graphics turn into slideshow like some frames would drop off or something The problem in other games like flashpoint and Max payne arent so bad but in those too the stuttering is noticable. Turning off vsync helps a bit but still the problem stays.

My system loads from hard drive normally during game but the stuttering isnt HD activity. When HD activity is hard you get noticable pause in a game this isnt like that. Now I have tryed everything, installed OS fresh about 5 times now, updated bios and all drivers are the latest. I unplugged soundcard , netword card and cd-roms so that only teac burner and GF3 remained in the system, still graphic stuttering.

Weird is that I dont have any graphic errors or crashes, to me it looks like a motherboard problem. I have tryed different AGP sizes and have runned setup defaults in bios. Has anybody else had the same kinda problems? What do you think about this one, any tips or advices all are welcome

ps. Runned intensive memory program for about 6 hours straight, so I guess it isnt faulty memory aither.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Since you said any tips/advice are welcome...

<b>Jumper settings:</b>
I think you have to use JumperFree Mode. That way, your XP processor can be recognized. Just make sure that your JEN jumper is at 2-3 (page 18). Leave the I/O Voltage Setting to 3.45 (page 21).

<b>PCI card placements:</b>
In my setup, I have my sound card in the 3rd slot, while my network card is in the 5th slot. Works fine for me.

<b>BIOS Settings:</b>
First, set the BIOS to it's defaults. Then, start changing some settings. Read on...

Make sure that the Primary VGA Bios (page 80) is set to AGP Card. Plug & Play O/S should be set to "No". For power management, set it to user define, but disable all of them.

<b>Operating System installation "methodology":</b>
When you first install Windows (let's try Me, since I'm not too familiar with XP), <i>you need to install those VIA 4-in-1 drivers right afterwards</i>. Then, install the graphics, sound, and network cards. Then, again with those 4-in-1 drivers. After all this, install <A HREF="http://www.outertech.com" target="_new">Cacheman 5</A>. I say this because it optimizes your cache system, and eliminates the problem of having 512MB (or more) RAM. Plus, it's free (if you can't afford the $10). :smile: Also, set your swap file to I guess 200MB to be safe - minimum and maximum. Download <A HREF="http://www.vopt.com/voptme.htm" target="_new">VoptMe v6.2</A> - it's free for 30 days, then you have to pay $40 - and use it to optimize and defrag your HD. I actually just used this to optimize the positioning of your swap file.

I'm not sure what the latest tested drivers are available for your graphics and sound card, but you should use those. Make sure they're straight from the manufacturer's website, and not some overclocker ones.

<b>Cacheman Tips:</b>
Make sure you enable the Conservative Swap File Usage setting, so you use all your memory before having to resort to the swap file.

I'm sorry if it seems a little messy. I tried to go in the order your should go, as neat as possible. But, hopefully, you can get everything working. I hope this helps, though. Please tell me how it goes. :smile:

Bryan

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

G

Hello there and thanks for your tips :) I installed cacheman and have set hard drive cache to min 50 max 50. Havent tryed the conservative swap file system yet but ill give it a try.

My bios seems in order and I dont think its that.

dont know if I mentioned but I have tryed both win ME and XP both have the same probs, and plugged my friend GF2 MX into my machine still the same bad performance. I ll keep people posted on this one..

G

urgs did all you instructed and still no go. I have now tryed this with three different 3D cards so there must be something fishy in my AGP slot..

Another thing I noticed. When I enabled fast writes from the bios and after that enabled in the Win Me with NVMAX my system refused to boot?! got in with safe mode and it had uninstalled my nvidia drivers. installed 4-1 drivers and detonators and got it back . Weird thing, with my other motherboard enabling fast writes didint do this kinda mess.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'm not sure what to say right now.

BTW, when using Cacheman, use the wizards, instead of your own judgement. They work pretty darn well...

I'll try to keep thinkin' about it. Don't give up yet. (It'd be too bad if it was a bad board, though.)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=13406" target="_new">My System Rig</A>