Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Horrible FPS lag on a few games, decent rig..

Last response: in Video Games
November 13, 2011 8:21:18 AM

Hi guys,

I recently ( about a month or so ago) bought a new PC and most games I play, generally, have decent performance ( APB, LoL, CS Source etc).

However I recently bought a copy of GTA IV on steam. I have noticed dozens of threads about FPS lag on the game but I think mine is quite severe considering I played the game back on an older PC where I received decent performance on medium settings, I could even put a few things onto high while playing with no real lag.

Anyway, while playing on my new computer on medium settings with 1280x1024 resolution I get about 10-16 FPS while inside a building, completely unplayable.

I have lowered the distance draw etc and it doesn't do much, and used gamebooster as well.

To come to a playable FPS of 30 I need to lower ALL settings to low along with turning the resolution down to 800x600, which makes it somewhat blurry as expected.

The issue isn't just with GTA 4, I played Just Cause 2 about a week ago and also received poor FPS, also had a similar issue when watching cut scenes on The Witcher 1, the FPS is just horrible.

Anyway these are my current specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i5-2400 CPU 3.10GHz(4 CPUs)
8GB Ram
1TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1GB DDR3

They aren't amazing but my older PC's specs were actually lower and could run GTA 4 and even Mafia 2 without lag ( the CPU did heat up extremely though, but no FPS lag)

I haven't found a reasonable answer to this problem, its not just GTA 4.

If someone could help me I would be very greatful

Thanks
November 13, 2011 10:07:04 AM

GT 430 is a weak card, thats why you are getting poor fps. Id upgrade to at least a 460.
November 13, 2011 10:36:14 AM

Well when I look on youtube theres a hell of a lot of videos of people playing on the GT430 perfectly fine, I'm sure it isn't so weak that it results in only playing GTA IV in 800x600 and lowest settings.

On my older computer GTA IV and Mafia 2 were able to run without lag and it was on 4GB's of Ram, however it did have a 9600 GT. But still, despite the 430 being weak there are videos of people playing perfectly fine with it.
Related resources
November 13, 2011 6:25:48 PM

Samples said:
Well when I look on youtube theres a hell of a lot of videos of people playing on the GT430 perfectly fine, I'm sure it isn't so weak that it results in only playing GTA IV in 800x600 and lowest settings.

On my older computer GTA IV and Mafia 2 were able to run without lag and it was on 4GB's of Ram, however it did have a 9600 GT. But still, despite the 430 being weak there are videos of people playing perfectly fine with it.

Your GT430 is your problem. You will need to upgrade it.
November 13, 2011 10:00:31 PM

Alright, I'll probably just save up some cash and buy a new graphics card, can any of you recommend a decent card that's affordable?

I'm looking at the Asus nVidia GeForce GTS 450
November 14, 2011 9:57:07 AM

What is your budget and power supply?
November 14, 2011 10:42:22 AM

You need to look at the numbers after the 1st one, for example:

470 is more powerful than 550, I wouldn't go any lower than a X60 but I don't know what your budget is.
November 14, 2011 9:27:28 PM

Gothams Finest said:
What is your budget and power supply?

I'd say my budget would be about $170, but if there is a decent one that is cheaper I'd be glad to see it.

What can you guys say about the GTS 450, it seems to be decently placed on the chart
November 14, 2011 9:29:00 PM

Can't seem to edit my last post, anyway, my PSU is 500W and its a stock one.
November 15, 2011 10:17:15 AM

Not sure if posting links is allowed but if you look at this video and read the description it really confuses me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqg540dFv8g

We both have the exact same card expect I have a far better processor and more RAM, could I be lagging due to my monitor ( its a TEAC TV screen, I play on 1280 x 1024 resolution ).

Also when I check DXDIAG it says that the approx memory is 4065MB, not sure if thats relevant to the issue of lag or not, but thought I'd let you guys know.

November 15, 2011 10:59:45 AM

Your monitor and your ram won't be causing you to lag.

In the graphics options screen at 3 seconds into the video it says the resolution he is playing at is 1440x900 and he is using 668mb of VRAM. How much VRAM are you using?

A GTS 450 will be a big improvement over your GT 430 and is good value for money, but the best card you could get for $170 would be either a GTX 460 or a HD 6870.

GTX 460 $140 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD 6870 $150 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 16, 2011 12:35:51 AM

Even playing with all textures on low I still receive FPS lag, its only solved if I put the video mode resolution to the absolute lowest where it gets blurry and I still get like 30 FPS, which is good, but at 800x600..

Is it possible that it is an issue with the graphics card being loose, I did not build the computer but I thought maybe it could be considered?

Also just a comparison;

I play on AVA ( doesn't require excellent graphics) on about 50-80 FPS which is great, then when I load up The Witcher 1 which has similar requirements, I receive about 20 FPS in the cutscenes, then it slowly drops and drops till about 13, so wierd..
November 17, 2011 12:13:32 AM

But really, when you take a look at that video I posted, I don't understand how he plays so fine, there is people all over youtube playing on the GT430 on some pretty nice games just fine as well, including Mafia 2 which ran fine, and I lag on The Witcher 1, thats a joke.

Best solution

November 17, 2011 11:40:27 AM

The only thing I can suggest you do other than upgrade your graphics cars is check if your drivers are up to date.

Unfortunately your GT 430 is not a decent gaming card however the rest of your computer specs are good so with a better graphics card your computer will be a decent gaming computer. For your budget the GTX 460 that I linked in a previous post would be your best choice (make sure you get the 1GB version).

GTA 4 is very poorly optimised and dosen't run well on evan the best of computers, as for the videos you keep referring to on youtube, I would take them with a pinch of salt.
November 17, 2011 8:28:27 PM

Gothams Finest said:
The only thing I can suggest you do other than upgrade your graphics cars is check if your drivers are up to date.

Unfortunately your GT 430 is not a decent gaming card however the rest of your computer specs are good so with a better graphics card your computer will be a decent gaming computer. For your budget the GTX 460 that I linked in a previous post would be your best choice (make sure you get the 1GB version).

GTA 4 is very poorly optimised and dosen't run well on evan the best of computers, as for the videos you keep referring to on youtube, I would take them with a pinch of salt.

Yeah well I guess its just an odd thing in regards to youtube, anyway, could you suggest any decent driver update tools?

My friends old PC has a GTS250, so I can just replace that rather then pay for a GTX 460.

If I find a driver updater maybe I'll let you know what the results are in a PM, if anyone can suggest a decent one that would be good.
November 17, 2011 8:39:40 PM

I've already got the latest nVidia driver, however in one of my driver updaters it says that this is not upto date:

Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller

Could that be an issue or?
November 17, 2011 9:03:05 PM

No that won't be causing any issue in games.
November 17, 2011 9:05:45 PM

Gothams Finest said:
No that won't be causing any issue in games.

Ahhh alright, well thanks for your help Gothem, and everyone else who tried to help out.

Will probably try get mine swapped with the GTS 250 within a few weeks.
November 20, 2011 6:40:57 AM

Best answer selected by Samples.
!