Presario 12XX mobo question?

Hi All,

This is my first post here so be kind please ;-)

I recently dropped my Presario 1260 laptop (in it's soft padded carry
bag) onto it's WiFi card (note to self. Take all PCMCIA card out
before moving laptop) ;-(

This had the undesirable consequence of ripping / breaking the PCMCIA
bit's off the mobo. I removed all the damaged parts and the laptop is
running ok (minus the PCMCIA port of course) ;-(

I have been offered a second hand mobo (from the States and I'm in the
UK) but I can't seem to get a Cpq part number that would reassure me
that it will fit / work with my existing stuff <sigh>.

From what I can gather from the sticker under the memory expansion bay
that my existing board is a:

102246-001 and could be used on the models 1255 through 1267?
http://tinyurl.com/26esj

The number the potential supplier keeps quoting is 356877-001 ?
http://tinyurl.com/2a37f

Could someone tell me if this board *will* work with my existing
hardware please .. (and is so will there be any limitations)?

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

hh

102246-001 is the correct spare part number for the system/processor board
in your 1260. The other number may be an assembly number for the same board,
but I doubt it. 356876-001 is the spare part number for the CPU base
enclosure.
I'd keep looking.
HH

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:24:59 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>102246-001 is the correct spare part number for the system/processor board
>in your 1260. The other number may be an assembly number for the same board,
>but I doubt it. 356876-001 is the spare part number for the CPU base
>enclosure.

Ah, thanks very much for that. I thought it'd didn't *feel* right?

All the best ..

T i m

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:39:42 +0100, T i m <kitcar@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:24:59 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>102246-001 is the correct spare part number for the system/processor board
>>in your 1260. The other number may be an assembly number for the same board,
>>but I doubt it. 356876-001 is the spare part number for the CPU base
>>enclosure.
>
>Ah, thanks very much for that. I thought it'd didn't *feel* right?
>
>All the best ..
>
>T i m

Hi again ..

I was just looking closer at :

http://h18027.www1.hp.com/athome/support/msgs/1230-50/system.html

and it shows the

base assy as : 356876-001

and the mobo as : 356877-001

My 1260 board is 102246-001 but I have no way of doing a 'lookup' to
see if these are an equiv?

All the best ..

T i m

hh

Try entering the other part number here:

http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1

You'll see its for earlier series 1200 notebooks, up to the 1240, I believe.

T i m wrote:

> I have been offered a second hand mobo (from the States and I'm in the
> UK) but I can't seem to get a Cpq part number that would reassure me
> that it will fit / work with my existing stuff <sigh>.

I beleive that the card cage is replaceable by itself (I have two from
Presarion 12XX series laptops).

You should see four small screws holding the assembly to the board.

If you do, and need just that spare, and are near Oxford, let me know!

GTr

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:03:21 GMT, gregory trimper
<trimper@spamcop.net> wrote:

>T i m wrote:
>
>> I have been offered a second hand mobo (from the States and I'm in the
>> UK) but I can't seem to get a Cpq part number that would reassure me
>> that it will fit / work with my existing stuff <sigh>.
>
>I beleive that the card cage is replaceable by itself (I have two from
>Presarion 12XX series laptops).
>
>You should see four small screws holding the assembly to the board.
>
>If you do, and need just that spare, and are near Oxford, let me know!

You are very kind GTi, however, the 'problem' is that when the laptop
fell onto the PCMCIA WiFi card it shoved all the PCMCIA gubbins up
into the machine.

This sheared off the upper two screws holding the actual PCMCIA socket
to the mobo and bent the lower two screws over where they went through
the board (they must have been loose anyway or they would have sheared
off with the top ones?). It bent all the pins where a PCMCIA card
plugs into the socket.

The *worst* damage was the small riser card that connects the PCMCIA
system to the mobo damaged the SM socket on the mobo itself?

So I think I'm going to have to replace the mobo unless I can find
someone with a new / working socket and some SM soldering gear?

All the best, and thanks again ..

T i m

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:31:11 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Try entering the other part number here:
>
>http://vztxesppro3.cce.hp.com/hpparts/Default.asp?mscssid=035V7F6T9K0U9JCT3BQC64L4GC57AGB1
>
>You'll see its for earlier series 1200 notebooks, up to the 1240, I believe.

Hi HH and thanks for that ... very handy ;-)

Hmm. I wonder what the difference is though? The guy selling the
356877-001 board sent me a picture of it and it *looks* very similar
to mine (it has an extra pair of dipswitches where mine has an
unpopulated board)?

It's just a long way to the UK if it's not suitable ..?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I *can* live without the PCMCIA slot as long as the UPB connector
keeps working ...

hh

Well, the 1240 takes a different class of processor for one thing. It is a
Intel Pentium 266, not an AMD K6/2 333 like your 1260. Might be different
bus speeds and certainly different voltages. I'd not recommend the earlier
board.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:58:59 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well, the 1240 takes a different class of processor for one thing. It is a
>Intel Pentium 266, not an AMD K6/2 333 like your 1260. Might be different
>bus speeds and certainly different voltages. I'd not recommend the earlier
>board.

Hi again fella,

Thanks for the update ..

I'll have to start looking again won't it ..? ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

T i m wrote:

> The *worst* damage was the small riser card that connects the PCMCIA
> system to the mobo damaged the SM socket on the mobo itself?

Ouch.

> So I think I'm going to have to replace the mobo unless I can find
> someone with a new / working socket and some SM soldering gear?

You're better off with the replacement motherboard. Luckily, they seem
_fairly_ common and cheap, at least stateside.

> All the best, and thanks again ..

cheers!
GTr

TRENDING THREADS