Freezing up and not loading, 64bit OS

Araku

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Okay, so I just recently bought a computer and had it shipped to my house. Out of the box, brand new with no updates or drivers, it ran fine. As soon as I began installing drivers and such, it's gone to crap. Contacted the company I bought it from, Microsoft and nVidia, and after much deliberation, we've narrowed it down to the Video Card.

Specs-

CPU- Intel i7 950 3.06/8mb L3
RAM- Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB (2GBx3)
GPU- nVidia Geforce GTX-460 1GB
MoBo- MSI X58 Pro-E
PSU- Xion 750 (I asked for a 400, they gave me a free 750)
OS- Windows Home Premium 64-Bit

As I said, this wasn't an upgraded PC, this is brand new. If I disable the Video Card, I can run windows without any problems. As soon as I enable it and restart, I can't even get into normal Windows. I get to the password screen, and then after entering my password, it freezes up. I left it on overnight, hoping maybe it would load after a while, but it was still frozen in the same place.

I've tried installing all the available nVidia drivers, including the beta, and none have seemed to work. Please help me if you can!

haleyrt

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
I seem to be having the same problem as you not quite the same build and but i also built mine...sometimes it freezes up at login screen other times will freeze during use usually around an hour or so....notice we have the same video card...

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: H55-USB3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU K 655 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM

currently running of my mobo's hdmi out to see if taking out the graphics card stops the freezing so far so good about 30 minutes into using my computer. any help on what to do if it is the graphics card please!

rajansudeshrattan

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
i had the same problem i tried 32 bit version but problem was still there i tried this and system seems to be stable for some time now
1) uninstall nvidia drivers in safe mode & reboot
2)clean the nvidia graphics, sound, physx, 3dvision drivers using driver sweeper
3)now in Device Manager>Sound Video and Game controllers> Uninstall the 4 nvidia HD audio devices leaving your onboard sound(e.g realtek). DONT reboot now
4)now in device manager in menu bar View>Devices by connection . Find PCI Express controller under which there is NVIDIA GTX460 and also there is High definition audio controller now. You have to disable the Nvidia's audio controller (NOT uninstall). now reboot
5) to be doubly sure use driver sweeper to clean any nvidia crap left in safe mode
6) after restarting u should check that there is only your onbard sound controller(eg realtek) in
Device Manager>Sound Video and Game controllers and there are no 4 nvidia HD sound devices
7) By making this sure now you can freshly install new nvidia drivers. I would however recommend not to use latest 266.58 drivers as they have their own set of problems any previous version above 258 should be fine.
I hope this works for you as this was pretty annoying for me.