Asus A7M266 and soundcards, need help

G

I purchased an asus a7m266 to house my 1.4ghz athlon. Now, I got everything going alright except for one thing, the sound is seriously ruining everything. The a7m266 comes with an onboard soundcard, to disable it you have to flip a jumper setting on the mobo(which they ever so conveniently forget to place in their manual, or on their site, or anywhere for that matter). So after doing that I booted up the computer again and the same damn thing keeps happening. The comp freezes when trying to install software, freezes sometimes when running games, and just freezes at other miscellaneous times I can't quite recall at this moment. It's really getting old. I know it's soundcard related because whenever I delete all the soundcard drivers my computer is fine. I started off with an x-gamer, then out of curiousity took that out and installed a sb live platinum edition to see if it would work. The same damn thing keeps happening though. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to rectify this situation?

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I doubt it's on-board sound that is causing the problem. I also have a A7M266 and I am fairly sure in jumper-free mode you can turn off onboard sound in the BIOS. Sorry it has been a while since i built my comp.

Anyway, the problem you are experiencing is the conflict between the soundblaster card the the Via 686B southbridge. What you have to do is, download the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers and that should fix the problem. If you are running Win2k, make sure you have Service Pack 2. www.viahardware.com should have the drivers you needed.