Fallout 3 vs S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
After having my head in Battlefield 3 pretty heavy for the last week, I am really craving a good single player adventure.

I have a couple games lying around that I am eyeing pretty heavy. Fallout 3 GOTY, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.

I am going to play one of these games, which one in your opinion would you say is the better?

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I could never get into Fallout 3. The combat and general mechanics of movement just seemed so stiff, and well...awful. I also didn't care for the, IMO, rather boring / ugly environment.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, on the other hand, I loved. Download "The Complete Mod" for SoC before you even get started. You must.....it makes the game look and play a great deal better - it is really almost like a complete (and well designed) overhaul.

SoC has incredible atmosphere, and that intangible quality that just draws you in and makes a "great" game. Definitely in my top list of FPS.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Thanks a lot, man.

I could never get into Fallout 3 the first time around. But I have been contemplating a second go. If for no other reason then the fact I dropped 50$ on it a few years back and have yet to get more than 3 hours into it.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC mod you are referring to, I will have to try and find that.

Thanks.

ddemon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Fallout 3 is not ever going to be a great fps but it's not meant to be it's it's a great adventure game, so if that's what your after id so go with it, there is plenty of chances to shoot things but also lots of interactions and adventures to be had and here is heaps of mod you can get tweek k the experience to your own likeing . and a huge open world to boot. sorry for the poor post, this is harder than i thought to do on my phone lol

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

That's cool man, I have used a phone in the past, myself.

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate that.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Me neither. I have always played Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls in 1st person. To me, the character movements look unnatural in the 3rd person.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Thank you SO much. I really appreciate this.

*best answer btw*

I have SoC and CoP, but I have yet to purchase Clear Sky. Do you think it will be necessary to get into STALKER 2 when it comes out next year?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Oh my God.

Dude, that mod is amazing.

The lighting and shadows are a million times better. The weapons and hud seems better also.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Cool. Thanks for letting me know.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

I wouldn't worry about Clear Sky. It was the only STALKER I didn't finish - just didn't really get into it.........I may try it again at some point.

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I've beaten all 3 Stalker games, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get into FO3. You can skip Clear Sky if you want, it's not as good as SoC and CoP. I played Clear Sky last and while it gave me a Stalker fix, there were bugs in the faction wars aspect that caused me some headache (joining loner faction and fighting bandits was bugged for me). Clear Sky is kinda off on its own focusing more on a faction vs. faction aspect and everything else being an afterthought imo.

SoC>CoP>CS in that order.

Stringjam

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

The only thing I really liked in CS was some of the art direction....I thought the Red Forest looked really cool, as did a lot of the buildings / atmosphere around the swamp. The Complete Mod for CS lets you transport around without actually having to play the game, so if you already have CS, it's worth sight-seeing. ;)

clearsky.jpg

TRENDING THREADS