Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fallout 3 vs S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Last response: in Video Games
November 13, 2011 9:44:20 PM

After having my head in Battlefield 3 pretty heavy for the last week, I am really craving a good single player adventure.

I have a couple games lying around that I am eyeing pretty heavy. Fallout 3 GOTY, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.

I am going to play one of these games, which one in your opinion would you say is the better?
November 14, 2011 12:11:54 AM

PCgamer81 said:
After having my head in Battlefield 3 pretty heavy for the last week, I am really craving a good single player adventure.

I have a couple games lying around that I am eyeing pretty heavy. Fallout 3 GOTY, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.

I am going to play one of these games, which one in your opinion would you say is the better?

I could never get into Fallout 3. The combat and general mechanics of movement just seemed so stiff, and well...awful. I also didn't care for the, IMO, rather boring / ugly environment.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, on the other hand, I loved. Download "The Complete Mod" for SoC before you even get started. You must.....it makes the game look and play a great deal better - it is really almost like a complete (and well designed) overhaul.

SoC has incredible atmosphere, and that intangible quality that just draws you in and makes a "great" game. Definitely in my top list of FPS.

m
l
November 14, 2011 12:30:40 AM

Stringjam said:
I could never get into Fallout 3. The combat and general mechanics of movement just seemed so stiff, and well...awful. I also didn't care for the, IMO, rather boring / ugly environment.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, on the other hand, I loved. Download "The Complete Mod" for SoC before you even get started. You must.....it makes the game look and play a great deal better - it is really almost like a complete (and well designed) overhaul.

SoC has incredible atmosphere, and that intangible quality that just draws you in and makes a "great" game. Definitely in my top list of FPS.

Thanks a lot, man.

I could never get into Fallout 3 the first time around. But I have been contemplating a second go. If for no other reason then the fact I dropped 50$ on it a few years back and have yet to get more than 3 hours into it.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC mod you are referring to, I will have to try and find that.

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
November 14, 2011 12:38:13 AM

Fallout 3 is not ever going to be a great fps but it's not meant to be it's it's a great adventure game, so if that's what your after id so go with it, there is plenty of chances to shoot things but also lots of interactions and adventures to be had and here is heaps of mod you can get tweek k the experience to your own likeing . and a huge open world to boot. sorry for the poor post, this is harder than i thought to do on my phone lol
m
l

Best solution

November 14, 2011 12:39:16 AM

STALKER Complete Mod right here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

I can't tell how stoked I am for the (slated) release of STALKER 2 next year.......just from the way some of the developer interviews have sounded, I think it's going to be something great.
November 14, 2011 1:18:54 AM

Fallout 3 is a RPG FPS game, not a pure FPS game. You can also play the game in 3rd person view, but I'm not big on 3rd person view games and I don't think FO3 is a decent 3rd person game anyway.
m
l
November 14, 2011 1:49:36 AM

ddemon said:
Fallout 3 is not ever going to be a great fps but it's not meant to be it's it's a great adventure game, so if that's what your after id so go with it, there is plenty of chances to shoot things but also lots of interactions and adventures to be had and here is heaps of mod you can get tweek k the experience to your own likeing . and a huge open world to boot. sorry for the poor post, this is harder than i thought to do on my phone lol

That's cool man, I have used a phone in the past, myself.

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate that.
m
l
November 14, 2011 1:51:34 AM

jaguarskx said:
Fallout 3 is a RPG FPS game, not a pure FPS game. You can also play the game in 3rd person view, but I'm not big on 3rd person view games and I don't think FO3 is a decent 3rd person game anyway.

Me neither. I have always played Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls in 1st person. To me, the character movements look unnatural in the 3rd person.
m
l
November 14, 2011 1:53:29 AM

Stringjam said:

I can't tell how stoked I am for the (slated) release of STALKER 2 next year.......just from the way some of the developer interviews have sounded, I think it's going to be something great.

Thank you SO much. I really appreciate this.

*best answer btw*

I have SoC and CoP, but I have yet to purchase Clear Sky. Do you think it will be necessary to get into STALKER 2 when it comes out next year?
m
l
November 14, 2011 1:54:00 AM

Best answer selected by PcGamer81.
m
l
November 14, 2011 2:41:46 AM

Stringjam said:

Oh my God.

Dude, that mod is amazing.

The lighting and shadows are a million times better. The weapons and hud seems better also.
m
l
November 14, 2011 6:47:49 AM

Clear Sky is renowned as being the worst in the series.
I've not retried it with Clear Sky Complete mod yet, but I keep meaning to (if only for the story line).
m
l
November 14, 2011 6:56:16 AM

fo3 stalker sucks
m
l
November 14, 2011 8:00:15 AM

joedastudd said:
Clear Sky is renowned as being the worst in the series.
I've not retried it with Clear Sky Complete mod yet, but I keep meaning to (if only for the story line).

Cool. Thanks for letting me know.
m
l
November 14, 2011 8:00:30 AM

tjosborne said:
fo3 stalker sucks

What sucks about it?
m
l
November 14, 2011 9:13:28 AM

PCgamer81 said:
Thank you SO much. I really appreciate this.

I have SoC and CoP, but I have yet to purchase Clear Sky. Do you think it will be necessary to get into STALKER 2 when it comes out next year?

I wouldn't worry about Clear Sky. It was the only STALKER I didn't finish - just didn't really get into it.........I may try it again at some point.
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:40:09 PM

I've beaten all 3 Stalker games, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get into FO3. You can skip Clear Sky if you want, it's not as good as SoC and CoP. I played Clear Sky last and while it gave me a Stalker fix, there were bugs in the faction wars aspect that caused me some headache (joining loner faction and fighting bandits was bugged for me). Clear Sky is kinda off on its own focusing more on a faction vs. faction aspect and everything else being an afterthought imo.

SoC>CoP>CS in that order.
m
l
November 15, 2011 12:22:31 AM

mhughes81 said:
I've beaten all 3 Stalker games, but for whatever reason, I couldn't get into FO3. You can skip Clear Sky if you want, it's not as good as SoC and CoP. I played Clear Sky last and while it gave me a Stalker fix, there were bugs in the faction wars aspect that caused me some headache (joining loner faction and fighting bandits was bugged for me). Clear Sky is kinda off on its own focusing more on a faction vs. faction aspect and everything else being an afterthought imo.

SoC>CoP>CS in that order.

The only thing I really liked in CS was some of the art direction....I thought the Red Forest looked really cool, as did a lot of the buildings / atmosphere around the swamp. The Complete Mod for CS lets you transport around without actually having to play the game, so if you already have CS, it's worth sight-seeing. ;) 

m
l
!