Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't have the game yet, but I'm thinkin' I'll get it within the next few
weeks. So, is there a roleplaying server in EQ2? I seem to remember
something about there not being one, but that a bunch of rpers were gonna go
to like the last server on the list or something like that...I
dunno...Anyway, if there is one, does it have any special rules like FV has
in EQ1? Thanks in advance.

Yep, can't remember the name but it's shown as RP preferred when you
make a new char.

On 10 Dec 2004 02:27:40 -0800, BombayMix wrote:

> Yep, can't remember the name but it's shown as RP preferred when you
> make a new char.

Antonia Bayle and Lucan D'Lere
--
RJB
12/10/2004 9:02:43 AM

I've always thought that underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly
underpolluted.
-Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why we
should export toxic wastes to Third World countries

"bob" <dlv88@comcast.net> wrote in message

> So, is there a roleplaying server in EQ2?

Antonia Bayle for the good fight and Lucan D'Lere for ... the rest. ;-) Both
are designated "Roleplaying Preferred".

> Anyway, if there is one, does it have any special rules like FV has
> in EQ1?

Nope. Exact same ruleset as the otherse servers to date. No special rules of
any kind.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

"Foxeye Vaeltaja" <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in message

> Anti-RPer: I can't stand those people (roleplayers), blah blah blah.
> RP'er: If you think of RPers as "those people", why did you play on this
> server?
> Anti-RPer: Because my friends are here.
> Me: So your friends are some of "those people" then?
> Anti_RPer: No.
> Me: So why are THEY here?
> Anti-RPer: *crickets chirping*

LOL. Another theory is that many people chose AB because it's the first
server listed alphabetically.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>
Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:22:08 -0800, "Bob Perez" wrote:

<snip>

Bob (and others), please please don't change the subject line of
messages with 'EQ2' in them. This is the EQ (not EQ2) newsgroup. Most
people are (thankfully) managing to flag their posts appropriately, then
people come along and change the subject.

It's not very helpful with keeping down the size of killfiles...

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:33:57 GMT, Gary Beldon <g.beldon@virgin.net>
wrote:

>Bob (and others), please please don't change the subject line of
>messages with 'EQ2' in them.

Some newsreaders automatically trim off parts of a subject line before
a : in the "Re:" on their reply. This is designed to prevent subject
lines that read "Re: Re: Re:.....". Not the best newsreader design,
but not something he's intentionally doing either. Kinda boggles me
that people haven't figured out a different way to do such tags. Maybe
"EQ2 - <blah>" instead of "EQ2: <blah>"?

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

"Gary Beldon" <g.beldon@virgin.net> wrote in message

> Bob (and others), please please don't change the subject line of
> messages with 'EQ2' in them. This is the EQ (not EQ2) newsgroup. Most
> people are (thankfully) managing to flag their posts appropriately, then
> people come along and change the subject.

First, my apologies for forgetting that my newsreader does that
automatically when it sees a colon in a title. I've tried to remember to
watch for this, but some slip through. A better convention for subject
prefixes might be to use brackets [EQ2] rather than a colon. I know that
another solution would be for me to use another newsreader and I've tried
every one that has been recommended to me but I found them all lacking.
Until something better for me comes along, I'll continue to use this one and
will try to watch for the problem. But even if I were to switch, enough
people still use my newsreader that it will continue to be a problem if the
topic header contains a colon.

Second, there is no real EQ2 newsgroup yet and it's not clear to me if there
ever will be one. Many of the same people I've interacted with over the
years in EQ1 are now playing EQ2 and posting here. There's an unchartered
EQ2 group that is not likely to get much traction, and unfortunately that
makes it even less likely that a proper one will form up any time soon.
Until one does, however, this really is the main newsgroup for information
about both EverQuest I and II. From what I see of people coming into EQ2
from EQLive (including many of the old diehards from my EQLive guild who
swore they'd never come), I suspect that it won't be long before EQ2 becomes
the primary topic of discussion in this forum (if it hasn't already), and
information about EQ1 becomes the one requiring the [EQ1] header.

I'm open to suggestions for a happier resolution for everyone, and have
raised the question myself in the past and have always tried to honor
conventions that allow people to distinguish the two topics. But for now it
appears that this is indeed the primary newsgroup for information about EQ2
and it's my first stop on Usenet to read about the game.

--
Redbeard
<Veritas>
Dwarven Mystic and Alchemist
Loyal Citizen of the Antonia Bayle
Current resident of the Willow Wood, City of Qeynos
http://veritas.everquest2guilds.com

Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
<Resolution, Retired>
Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 15:07:25 -0800, "Bob Perez"
<myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote:

>I know that
>another solution would be for me to use another newsreader and I've tried
>every one that has been recommended to me but I found them all lacking.

*twitch* Lacking compared to OE? OE is lacking compared to a chisel
and stone tablet. :p Heheh.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just thought of one more rp related question:

How much rping actually goes on on those servers? There were a couple posts
about non-rpers on the rp server, and Bob Perez said that that might be
because AB is the first server listed alphebetically. This actually sounds
like a valid reason to me. When I first started playing EQ, I just picked
the first server on the list because I knew I'd never remember the name of
my server if I'd picked one farther down, 'course after I got the basics
down I moved to FV, but where I ended up isn't really the point...Anyway, I
guess there are 2 rp servers then? Anyone know which has more roleplaying
or are they pretty much the same? Thanks again!

bob wrote:
> Just thought of one more rp related question:
>
> How much rping actually goes on on those servers? There were a couple posts
> about non-rpers on the rp server, and Bob Perez said that that might be
> because AB is the first server listed alphebetically. This actually sounds
> like a valid reason to me. When I first started playing EQ, I just picked
> the first server on the list because I knew I'd never remember the name of
> my server if I'd picked one farther down, 'course after I got the basics
> down I moved to FV, but where I ended up isn't really the point...Anyway, I
> guess there are 2 rp servers then? Anyone know which has more roleplaying
> or are they pretty much the same? Thanks again!

How much of roleplaying is keeping a certain in character attitude or
affecting some odd speech, and how much is just not 'breaking the wall'
(talking about work, etc...)?

(We got called a 'roleplaying linkshell' because most of us don't 'break
the wall', and we have mannerisms for our characters... In fact I like
to log on my mule and butter up the bosstaru... my main isn't like that
though. :)

"Bob Perez" <myfirstname@thecomdomaincalledSHADOWPIKE> wrote in

> "Gary Beldon" <g.beldon@virgin.net> wrote in message
>
>> Bob (and others), please please don't change the subject line of
>> messages with 'EQ2' in them. This is the EQ (not EQ2) newsgroup. Most
>> people are (thankfully) managing to flag their posts appropriately,
>> then people come along and change the subject.
>
> First, my apologies for forgetting that my newsreader does that
> automatically when it sees a colon in a title. I've tried to remember
> to watch for this, but some slip through. A better convention for
> subject prefixes might be to use brackets [EQ2] rather than a colon. I
> know that another solution would be for me to use another newsreader
> and I've tried every one that has been recommended to me but I found
> them all lacking. Until something better for me comes along, I'll
> continue to use this one and will try to watch for the problem. But
> even if I were to switch, enough people still use my newsreader that
> it will continue to be a problem if the topic header contains a colon.
>
> Second, there is no real EQ2 newsgroup yet and it's not clear to me if
> there ever will be one. Many of the same people I've interacted with
> over the years in EQ1 are now playing EQ2 and posting here. There's an
> unchartered EQ2 group that is not likely to get much traction, and
> unfortunately that makes it even less likely that a proper one will
> form up any time soon. Until one does, however, this really is the
> main newsgroup for information about both EverQuest I and II. From
> what I see of people coming into EQ2 from EQLive (including many of
> the old diehards from my EQLive guild who swore they'd never come), I
> suspect that it won't be long before EQ2 becomes the primary topic of
> discussion in this forum (if it hasn't already), and information about
> EQ1 becomes the one requiring the [EQ1] header.
>
> I'm open to suggestions for a happier resolution for everyone, and
> have raised the question myself in the past and have always tried to
> honor conventions that allow people to distinguish the two topics. But
> for now it appears that this is indeed the primary newsgroup for
> information about EQ2 and it's my first stop on Usenet to read about
> the game.

/agree

It doesn't make much sense to me to start a new group when even some of
the most loyal EQLive players have been among those to predict its demise
within a year or so. It's not like Baldur's Gate or Morrowind. When EQL
is over, it's over. There will be no one playing it and no need for
discussion.

I'm still of the belief that a.g.e. is the best place for discussion of
both. I try to denote EQ2: on any such posts (will change to [EQ2] now,
thanks for the tip), but there will come a point when it won't be
necessary.

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard

> "Foxeye Vaeltaja" <foxeye@EEKSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>> Anti-RPer: I can't stand those people (roleplayers), blah blah blah.
>> RP'er: If you think of RPers as "those people", why did you play on
>> this server?
>> Anti-RPer: Because my friends are here.
>> Me: So your friends are some of "those people" then?
>> Anti_RPer: No.
>> Me: So why are THEY here?
>> Anti-RPer: *crickets chirping*
>
> LOL. Another theory is that many people chose AB because it's the
> first server listed alphabetically.

I thought they changed that? It seems that I remember AB being farther down
the list when I selected it and that was just a couple days after launch.

--

: Anyone know which has more roleplaying
: or are they pretty much the same? Thanks again!

I'm on the Lucian RP server, and I encounter a good deal of role-playing. I
(as a cleric) enjoy chiding barbarians about their lack of smarts, and they
enjoy treating me like a reluctant tag-along. "Come on, elf, or we'll leave
you here for the bugs," is something I heard last night.

In fact, I allow my role-playing to be =enhanced= by those people who don't
role-play. For example, last night one of the group members told us she had
to get the phone, and I asked the group about this new god called Phone.
Everyone laughed and asked what I was talking about. I told them that
humans frequently had to answer the call of Phone and would then meditate
for several minutes. I was impressed by their devotion but wanted to know
more about what powers the god of Phone bestowed upon their adherents.

Then THEY began to role-play and told me about how the Phone god did nothing
for them, but that its adherents were mostly human females! It was
hysterical and a lot of fun. The bottom line is that I encounter as much
role-playing as I make.

David S.

In article <10rkaqo54mja599@news.supernews.com>, Bob Perez wrote:
> prefixes might be to use brackets [EQ2] rather than a colon. I know that
> another solution would be for me to use another newsreader and I've tried
> every one that has been recommended to me but I found them all lacking.

What other newsreaders have you tried?

--
--Tim Smith