Herm1050

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
I'm having a heck of an XPP install failure on a new MSI 865PE-Neo3.
The OS install will not complete, and is stuck in a re-boot/partial install cycle. It seems to install for about 5 min and then the system shuts down, re-boots and begins install from start point agian, and repeats.
I've tried the following to troubleshoot without any success:
1.) Tried multiple XPP install disks.
2.) Tried multiple drives in both IDE controllers
3.) Tried multiple memory modules of different speeds in multiple banks.
4.) Removed all non-essential peripherals, including on board connections.
I do not have another compatible video card, and could not test my BFG NVIDIA 5700 Ultra. At this point I suspect this could be the issue, and will be picking up a spare to test. But in the meantime am wondering if anyone else has come across this nightmare....

thedon57

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
when you start up how many beeps are there, and if you built the computer did you put the thermal grease between the proccessor and the fan. also are you getting any stop error messages on the screen.

Herm1050

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
hmmm..think I had a single beep at one point, but cleared that with different DIMMs...yes the proc is installed correctly, but I did not grease it...the shipping fan already has a grease type gasket...and no error messages at all..it just reboots…I pulled the setuplog last night and here's the last few entries...

08:17:42,d:\xpclient\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syspnp.c,5655,,SETUP:
SetupDiCallClassInstaller(DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL) succeeded. Device =
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
06/28/2005
08:17:42,d:\xpclient\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syspnp.c,5710,,SETUP:
SetupDiCallClassInstaller(DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES) succeeded. Device
= PS/2 Compatible Mouse
06/28/2005
08:17:42,d:\xpclient\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syspnp.c,5885,,SETUP:
SetupDiCallClassInstaller(DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS) succeeded.
Device = PS/2 Compatible Mouse

That's where it drops every time, so yes, I changed out the mouse...but still nothing...I'm a bit determined to figure this out, and will post a resolution if I ever get one...

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
what are your power #'s in BIOS. could have a PSU going out - is it rebooting exactly 5 min or random reboots?

If your running SATA - make sure you install your raid drivers before the XP install.

riser

Illustrious
Memory problem or over heating.

Go into BIOS and look at the PC Health section. What's the CPU temp reading? It should be around 30C in BIOS. Figure, when you get out of that and the CPU is under load, it'll go a little higher.

What CPU are you using?

What Memory are you using?

When it's loading data into memory, bad memory would cause a restart.

How many Dimms are you using? Try the install with 1 dimm, if it fails, try the other one.

Your board supports Dual Channel, so you probably have 2 chips I would guess. If the memory isn't identical and you're trying to run in dual channel (both green or both purple) it's not going to work.